• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest Gym Leader

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'd say Melissa (Fantina). No matter how strong my Pokemon were by the time I faced her in Diamond and Pearl, I always ended up struggling against her Ghost-type Pokemon's Confuse Ray attack.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
The whole generation including HGSS? Because if so then Whitney was the hardest Gym Leader from the Generation 4 games. But if you mean just Sinnoh then I'd pick Volkner in Platinum because I hated his Electivire and Luxray.

I agree about Denzi (Volkner) to some extent. He was the last Shinou Gym Leader so him being tough was to be expected, although I found his Diamond and Pearl team harder than his Platinum team because he used wild cards and not just Electric-types.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
In HeartGold/SoulSilver, Morty is hard to beat because of Hypnosis, and Clair spams Thunder Wave, not to mention Kingdra.

I agree about Ibuki (Clair). For starters, I always struggled against her two Hakuryu (Dragonair) since I rarely had an Ice-type Pokemon on my HG/SS teams to deal with them, and then there was her Kingdra which was a whole other challenge. At least Ibuki lived up to her title as the final Jouto Gym Leader and Wataru's (Lance's) cousin.

Lunalah

In Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Maylene always gave me trouble because of her Lucario mostly. Fantina was also hard to beat because Ghost types are naturally tricky.

In Heartgold/Soulsilver: Whitney, even though she's the generic answer she was truly a beast and I never liked her Miltank with its high defense, Attract and Rollout.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
To be honest, not quite sure. All the Gym Leaders were really easy, sure their last Pokemon packed a bit of punch but nevertheless Gen 4 had some of the easiest Gym Leaders to beat. Although if I had to pick, I guess Maylene because of how she abuses Drain Punch.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
Sinnoh: Fantina. Her Ghost-types were hard to pin down, particularly her Mismagius. It was a rather lethal threat on her team in both DP and Platinum.

Johto: Clair. When I faced her, the only type advantage I had was a Swinub, which did not last very long in the battle. Her Dragonair have diverse moves and Kingdra didn’t have much for weaknesses to exploit. I actually only won against her with my Qwilfish’s Toxic Spikes the last time I played.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
My hardest fight was against Gardenia because I was a dumb kid that didn't understand the type charts aside from the grass-fire-water triangle
In general, probably Juan because of double team spam

Xuxuba

I replayed HGSS not too long ago and strangely enough i didn't really have that much of a problem beating Whitney, but Clair was another story... Especially her Kingdra.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

In the Sinnoh set games I thought that Volkner was the hardest gym leader in Diamond and Pearl because he only had two Electric-types and two completely random Pokemon like Octillery and Ambipom which made him more unpredictable than other gym leaders.

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Byron was kinda tricky. Between rest-chesto and iron defence bastiodon could become very difficult to take it down with physical moves. Bronzor was packing hypnosis and confuse ray, with solid defences. You needed the right mon to take him down, which was a problem in nuzlockes.

Wake had strong mons but needed better movesets. Needed a stallier quagsire and setup on floatzel and/or gyarados.

I found Volkner a bit underwhelming. The team battle against him and Flint just made it easy to kill everything with earthquake. Even with two non-electric types, he got walled easily by grass, and had no ground resist. The AI wasn't really smart enough to use baton pass properly on Aipom.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Aduro said:
Byron was kinda tricky. Between rest-chesto and iron defence it could become very difficult to take it down with physical moves. Bronzor was packing hypnosis and confuse ray, with solid defences. You needed the right mon to take him down, which was a problem in nuzlockes.

I generally dislike Gym Leaders who rely more on defense than offense, but I found Tougan (Byron) to be pretty tame on that front. Since his Pokemon were generally slower than mine whenever I battled him, I usually managed to land the finishing blow before his Pokemon got a chance to use their defensive moves.

Sonnas

Brawly in R/S/E because his pokemon can just one hit KO any of mine, and Lisa and Tate from Emerald because they had more than just their Lunatone and Solrock and they hit like a truck.

NeganTheSavior

Fantina was the toughest in Diamond and Pearl. Though my Floatzel one shotted each of her 'mons with crunch.

Volker was pretty tough in Platinum. I had a Garchomp and he was ready with ice-type moves.

HG/SS- Whitney. No contest.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I had difficulty with Melonie but only because of her Galarian Darmanitan having Zen Mode. I planned on taking her out with Steel and Fire types and when Darmanitan changed forms, it threw me off very badly.

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
Morty's Hypnosis was really irritating. I found Falkner extremely difficult, too.