• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest Gym Leader

Leonhart

Imagineer
PokePlatinum14 said:
For platinum, my team was EXTREMELY weak to Gyarados which Crasher Wake had :/

Out of curiosity, what was your Platinum version team like? I imagine that it must've had a lot of Fire/Ground Pokemon for it to be weak against Gyarados, but for that Gym match it's usually common to train an Electric-type to handle his Gyarados. That's what I did in Pearl since my team wasn't going to win without something to take down Gyarados with specifically.

WalesNote

For Platinum, it's Gardenia and Fantina. The rest are easy, but those two have strong pokemon for the stage you'll be at.

Soul Silver, my match with Falkner was mostly stalling for poison to knock out Pidgeotto, Bugsey killed my team twice before my zubat one shotted scyther, Whitney was easy, Morty was one destroyed by my Crobat's bite, Chuck was destroyed by my Meganium, Jasmine destroyed my team three times with magnamite's thunder wave/supersonic and her steelix's iron tail, Pryce was simple. Have yet to fight Claire so far.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Soul Silver, my match with Falkner was mostly stalling for poison to knock out Pidgeotto, Bugsey killed my team twice before my zubat one shotted scyther, Whitney was easy, Morty was one destroyed by my Crobat's bite, Chuck was destroyed by my Meganium, Jasmine destroyed my team three times with magnamite's thunder wave/supersonic and her steelix's iron tail, Pryce was simple. Have yet to fight Claire so far.
You'd better be prepared for her ace Pokémon! Claire can be tricky to defeat on your first try.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Fantina in Platinum. Her Haunter had Hypnosis and Confuse Ray, and it drove me up the wall. My Pokemon finally wakes up from sleep only for it to hurt itself in confusion, and Haunter puts me to sleep again. I also found out Pokemon don't recover from confusion while sleeping. :/

Clair in HGSS, because her Kingdra refused to die! I felt like Whitney was nerfed in HGSS...

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
EDIT: oops, I didn't read the thingo properly!

Probably Fantina from Plat. I remember having a bit of trouble with her. Possibly Byron?

TwilightBlade

For Platinum, it's Gardenia and Fantina. The rest are easy, but those two have strong pokemon for the stage you'll be at.

Oh hell I remember how annoying Falkner was in HGSS. His Pidgeotto always spammed Roost and for me it was especially hard since my starter in SS was Chikorita. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
Oh hell I remember how annoying Falkner was in HGSS. His Pidgeotto always spammed Roost and for me it was especially hard since my starter in SS was Chikorita. :p

Roost definitely was a pain in that Gym battle, although my main gripe about that first Gym match was that Hayato (Falkner) didn't receive a team upgrade other than having his Pokemon's levels boosted, but I wanted him to have something like Hoho (Hoothoot) on his team back then.

PokePlatinum14

Pokemon Platinum Master
Out of curiosity, what was your Platinum version team like? I imagine that it must've had a lot of Fire/Ground Pokemon for it to be weak against Gyarados, but for that Gym match it's usually common to train an Electric-type to handle his Gyarados. That's what I did in Pearl since my team wasn't going to win without something to take down Gyarados with specifically.

My team had Infernape,Rapidash,Tortarra,Empoleon,Noctowl and one other that I forgot but it wasn't electric.

jaden767

Amphetamine
Clair in Heart Gold and Soul Silver always frustrated me because her Dragon mons were too tough to beat. You either had to get a really strong Ice type or train a Dragon type which were hard to find.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
Clair in Heart Gold and Soul Silver always frustrated me because her Dragon mons were too tough to beat. You either had to get a really strong Ice type or train a Dragon type which were hard to find.

I think most people probably never went through the trouble of raising a Dragon-type before battling her in HG/SS unless they traded with someone beforehand, and frankly a Dragon-type would still be at a disadvantage against her two Hakuryu (Dragonair) and Kingdra.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think most people probably never went through the trouble of raising a Dragon-type before battling her in HG/SS unless they traded with someone beforehand, and frankly a Dragon-type would still be at a disadvantage against her two Hakuryu (Dragonair) and Kingdra.
But in a way it was a good challenge for players before the Fairy Type became a thing. Clair wouldn’t have many options to counter Fairy Pokémon with Iron Tail on her Dragonair pretty much being the most effective counter.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Since I'm currently playing through this generation I'd say the gym leaders I've had the most trouble with are:

Platinum:
  • Roark's Cranidos - It's fast and spams headbutt which makes your Pokemon flinch.
  • Maylene's Lucario - It keeps using Drain Punch to recover some health. Plus its steel typing gives it lots of defense.
HGSS:
  • Whitney's Miltank - As I like to call it the "Demon Cow of Goldenrod City."
  • Clair's Kingdra - From what I recall it's very fast, powerful, and hard to beat due to the limited Pokemon you have access to.

Last edited:

Venomshock

Fantina was hard for me to battle in all 3 Sinnoh games. I remember getting mad when I fought her in Platinum because the gym order changed and she was the 3rd gym leader and I wasn't prepared for Ghost types at the time. :(