• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest Gym Leaders and battles

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
Falkner if you chose Chikorita over the other two is fairly difficult.

I remember choosing Chikorita in HG and that battle was definitely a handful. I know that a lot of people simply use a Rock-type against him, but I didn't feel like training one so I just used my Starter and an Upah (Wooper).

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I remember choosing Chikorita in HG and that battle was definitely a handful. I know that a lot of people simply use a Rock-type against him, but I didn't feel like training one so I just used my Starter and an Upah (Wooper).

Or a Mareep in the remakes.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Eh, nearly all gym leaders can be beaten by picking up something nearby. That's one of the reasons why normal gym leaders are so tough, its not a type with a lot of weaknesses. I think a real challenge would be if gym leaders or at least the elite 4 were based off different strategies rather than types. ie you could have one relying on speed control, one on entry hazards and phasing, one on creating a situation where they can get a setup sweep going.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Whitney because of her Miltank. It was really annoying in Gen 2 and even though it wasn't as bad when I fought her in Gen 4, I still developed PTSD from Miltank.

This too. I really feel like Miltank was unfair for the 3rd gym of the region. Even when HGSS reduced Miltank's level by 1, I still thought that Miltank was a savage.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
This too. I really feel like Miltank was unfair for the 3rd gym of the region. Even when HGSS reduced Miltank's level by 1, I still thought that Miltank was a savage.
Part of the issue with Miltank was it knowing Attract and if your highest leveled Pokémon was your Starter then it was most likely male. If you had all female Pokémon then you had a better chance if you were faster than Miltank or could avoid the flinch caused by Stomp.

Barry Hernandez

I think it was Whitney’s miltank.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Clair in Gen II was pretty brutal because of Kingdra which posed a problem if you had no friends to trade with to evolve Seadra and that Dragon Pokémon weren’t really available until after you defeated Clair. Yeah you could technically enter Dragon’s Den before battling Clair but that girl would stop you and make you turn back so you couldn’t get any Pokémon that could help you. And yes I’m aware of Dratini being a Game Corner prize but not everyone has good enough luck to actually get one early in the game.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
Part of the issue with Miltank was it knowing Attract and if your highest leveled Pokémon was your Starter then it was most likely male. If you had all female Pokémon then you had a better chance if you were faster than Miltank or could avoid the flinch caused by Stomp.

I forgot about Attract and the fact that most players probably had male Starter Pokemon. I really didn't like Akane's (Whitney's) strategy of using Attract, healing Miltank, and using Rollout since it seems like a lot to get through.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I forgot about Attract and the fact that most players probably had male Starter Pokemon. I really didn't like Akane's (Whitney's) strategy of using Attract, healing Miltank, and using Rollout since it seems like a lot to get through.
At least in GSC you COULD use a Gastly and be immune to Stomp. Not so in HGSS where that Miltank has Scrappy and can hit Ghost types with Stomp.