• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest(or just hard) Games on a Nintendo Console?

What is the hardest game you have played on a Nintendo console?

By hard, i don't mean a badly made game, but a game with a large difficultly curve. This can apply to the entire game itself, or to only part of a game, if you want.

For me, F-Zero GX for the Gcube was very enjoyable, but extremely difficult, especially in the higher cups(like expert and master). What about you?

Surfing_Pikachu

Cobalt_Latios

Lost Levels. If you want modern hardness, NSMBW or Mega Man 9.
THIS. I made the mistake of getting Lost Levels... now I know why it's "Lost".

Especially knowing how my skills fare up to these types of things. I only bought it thinking it was a limited time offer... or something someone around here said. I forget.

C_L

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
For me, F-Zero GX for the Gcube was very enjoyable, but extremely difficult, especially in the higher cups(like expert and master). What about you?
At least someone knows how hard it is.

As far as how far I got into it, I unlocked and bought every racer, got all the racer videos, defeat 2 staff ghosts, and did the first three cups on Master. Doing the Diamond Cup on Master? Man. 0_o

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
NSMBW - while undeniably more difficult than its DS counterpart - isn't over-demanding in its difficulty, people.

On the other hand, Lost Levels is almost purposefully cruel at points, relying on trial, error, and a hell of a lot of extra lives. I'd definitely also second F-Zero GX. Psychic Politoed and I have had our share of conversations over the years about how the game turns crying babies into crying men.

Those are Nintendo-made games, of course, that are of high difficulty. There are quite a few third-party titles on Nintendo systems that are merciless.

Yeah, the lost levels were tough, but that's what they were going for... I found that Luigi's Purple Coins in the Toy Time Galaxy was really tough too...

Those are Nintendo-made games, of course, that are of high difficulty. There are quite a few third-party titles on Nintendo systems that are merciless.

I agree. Does anyone remember the obstacle course and race levels in Battletoads?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
F-ZERO GX.

Also known as HELL: THE RACING GAME.

Zazie

So 1991
The speed up zone in Gradius 3. You are moving at uncontrolably fast speeds in an area full of dead ends. It feels like it is trial and error as I often don't see the dead ends until it's too late. They made the area appear earlier in the SNES version meaning until I can beat it I can't see the last two or so levels. The whole thing ruins an otherwise excellent game.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Mega Man 1. Also, try beating Contra without the Konami Code. Just try.

Penguinist Trainer

I've played a bunch of Nintendo games, but the ones the frustrated me the most were the ones with the tricky jumps. Typically this involved you inching your character out until your 1 or 2 pixels from an abyss before making your jump. Of course it never helped when you had enemies attacking you from the other side.

The games that come to mind the most are the Mega Man series and Ninja Gaiden series. Now don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed playing these games because it was such a challenge. This is just my idea of the hardest games on a Nintendo console.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Also, try beating Contra without the Konami Code. Just try.

Is it really that hard? :S

For me it's always been the Mega Man games. No matter how many tips and hints I get, they are too much of a challenge.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
That I've beaten? Lost Levels and most of the Megaman X series. That's some punishing sh*t, but incredibly rewarding.

That I've never beaten? Zelda II, Ninja Gaiden and its sequel, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

F-Zero GX was not hard, but simply required the player to reach the highest state of manliness. Only the manliest person could hope to finish the story mode on very hard, let alone the diamond cup on master. That is, unless you used snaking...

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
It might be me sucking, but I found Super Mario Sunshine to be an incredible *****. Even the levels with FLUDD are difficult. I still haven't completed the game, but it's one my favourites.

Other games that come to mind are Mega Man (originals and 9) and The Lost Levels.

Last edited:

Cipher

Nothing to be done
It might be me sucking, but I found Super Mario Sunshine to be an incredible *****. Even the levels with FLUDD are difficult. I still haven't completed the game, but it's one my favourites.
It's not just you. Sunshine had some pretty difficult platforming in order to get the "secret" Shine Sprites. Easily the hardest to complete out of the 3D games, Purple Coin Challenges be damned.

But it's still nothing compared to the perfectly-timed, full-speed jumps and random invisible blocks of The Lost Levels. By the time you slog through all twelve worlds of that game, you will have learned to hate those invisible blocks.

Large gap? Sure, just throw an invisible block in to hit the player at the height of their jump. Enemies? Invisible block. Three different spinning wheels of flame? Put an invisible block in the middle of that sh*t.