• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest Post-Game Trainers & Battles

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Could be rematches, powerful trainers only available after the Pokemon League or maybe just some random trainer you fought on a certain route only available in the post-game. Whatever it is, hardest post-game trainers and battles.

sD6E0Fz.png
YDkYm5g.png
pZyh6zC.png

Red, Green & Blue. The strongest post-game trainers of Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee

So for me personally one of the hardest post-game trainers I've seen recently is Red, Green & Blue. I fought them a few levels under but I normally beat most post-game trainers fairly easily in Let's Go. Not Red, Green and Blue, they proved to be a far more bigger challenge than I thought. It really surprised me and I feel like it owes to the fact that not only do Red, Green & Blue have arguably some of the best competitively-viable Pokemon of the Kanto region but unlike the fairly somewhat challenging Gym Leaders and Elite Four who have a consistent type weakness, these trainers don't have that. They have very very diverse teams and even a few tactics that will surprise you like Fake-Out Blastoise. It's a real joy to battle them a few levels under. I don't know about if your on equal levels or over-leveled but they are some of the hardest post-game trainers I've seen in a long while, probably not since Gen 5.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Definitely Cynthia in the Gen 5 games. The first time I fought her in Black, she totally destroyed my entire team - I was like 20 levels below her! (For reference, Ghetsis’ Hydreigon is level 54.) So I had to go all around Unova fighting all the trainers to level up my guys on par with hers. Her Spiritomb is the one I had the most trouble with, as it likes spamming Double Team so you keep missing your attacks, and of course it had practically no weaknesses prior to Gen 6, when the Fairy type was discovered. I did eventually defeat her on my second try. From there, I found out she was the Champion of Sinnoh, as I hadn’t played a Gen 4 game at the time (apart from HG/SS), and I thought she was a pretty cool character. I don’t remember if I fought her in B2/W2 as well, since it’s been a long time since I played that game.

Next would probably be Red in G/S/C and HG/SS. He’s the classic final boss of the game - and he was once you, the player, in the original R/B/Y and FR/LG. His Pikachu is the highest-levelled trainer’s Pokemon in-game, being level 82 in the originals and 88 in the remakes. He truly is a great fit for the last challenge in the game, but I still haven’t fought him yet in my SS playthrough.

I’d probably also mention the Sinnoh Gym Leaders at the Battleground and N in B2/W2’s post-game. In the case of the former, I think the hardest would probably be Roark and Byron, especially with Roark’s mighty Tyranitar. The latter has diverse teams based on the season in which you fight him in, which I think is pretty neat.

Haven’t played Let’s Go, so I can’t say much about Red, Blue and Green. I did fight Red and Blue in Sun, however (though of course you can only fight one of them at a time, so I chose to fight Blue). Like Red, he also has a diverse team that has no consistent weaknesses, so it was quite a fun challenge to take him on.

Last edited:

shoz999

Definitely Cynthia in the Gen 5 games. The first time I fought her in Black, she totally destroyed my entire team - I was like 20 levels below her! (For reference, Ghetsis’ Hydreigon is level 54.) So I had to go all around Unova fighting all the trainers to level up my guys on par with hers. Her Spiritomb is the one I had the most trouble with, as it likes spamming Double Team so you keep missing your attacks, and of course it had practically no weaknesses prior to Gen 6, when the Fairy type was discovered. I did eventually defeat her on my second try. From there, I found out she was the Champion of Sinnoh, as I hadn’t played a Gen 4 game at the time (apart from HG/SS), and I thought she was a pretty cool character. I don’t remember if I fought her in B2/W2 as well, since it’s been a long time since I played that game.

Next would probably be Red in G/S/C and HG/SS. He’s the classic final boss of the game - and he was once you, the player, in the original R/B/Y and FR/LG. His Pikachu is the highest-levelled trainer’s Pokemon in-game, being level 82 in the originals and 88 in the remakes. He truly is a great fit for the last challenge in the game, but I still haven’t fought him yet in my SS playthrough.

I’d probably also mention the Sinnoh Gym Leaders at the Battleground and N in B2/W2’s post-game. In the case of the former, I think the hardest would probably be Roark and Byron, especially with Roark’s mighty Tyranitar. The latter has diverse teams based on the season in which you fight him in, which I think is pretty neat.

Haven’t played Let’s Go, so I can’t say much about Red, Blue and Green. I did fight Red and Blue in Sun, however (though of course you can only fight one of them at a time, so I chose to fight Blue). Like Red, he also has a diverse team that has no consistent weaknesses, so it was quite a fun challenge to take him on.
Cynthia's Pokemon team is definitely one you have to prepare, she will destroy you if you aren't near her level. She's considered to be one of the toughest, if not the toughest Pokemon Champion in the Pokemon series.

Red's also fairly difficult too but honestly he's kind of somewhat easier in his Crystal and HGSS appearances because of that Lapras. In the original Gold & Silver games, he had an Espeon that diversified his team and could destroy you if your not careful but in Crystal and HGSS, if you have a good electric-type you can pretty much nuke half of his team because he has three Pokemon with three electric-type weaknesses. Honestly I preferred if Red kept the Espeon, made things more challenging until Let's Go appeared where they cut down the electric-type weaknesses to just one, ironically that very same Lapras.

In the Pokemon World Tournament, the Dragon-type trainers were pretty tough especially Drayden whose dragon-types lacked the 4x Ice weakness

I think I was somewhat over-leveled but I don't remember Red & Blue being that hard in either SM or USUM except the Battle Tree of course.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Cynthia's Pokemon team is definitely one you have to prepare, she will destroy you if you aren't near her level. She's considered to be one of the toughest, if not the toughest Pokemon Champion in the Pokemon series.

Red's also fairly difficult to but honestly he's kind of somewhat easier in his Crystal and HGSS appearances because of that Lapras. In the original Gold & Silver games, he had an Espeon that diversified his team and could destroy you if your not careful but in Crystal and HGSS, if you have a good electric-type you can pretty much nuke half of his team because he has three Pokemon with three electric-type weaknesses. Honestly I preferred if Red kept the Espeon, made things more challenging until Let's Go appeared where they cut down the electric-type weaknesses to just one.

In the Pokemon World Tournament, the Dragon-type trainers were pretty tough especially Drayden whose dragon-types lacked the 4x Ice weakness

I think I was somewhat over-leveled but I don't remember Red & Blue being that hard in either SM or USUM except the Battle Tree of course.
Definitely. Red was a challenge to take down in Silver version. Loved the diversity in his team there. Made it harder to try to pin down.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Cynthia and, to a lesser extent, Alder in BW. Mainly because of that akward level curve

Anabel in SM. Actually knocked out half my team

Dexio in SM/USUM. Comes with a Mega Alakazam and, in USUM, a Zygarde. Definitely threw me off guard but nothing too difficult

The Rainbow Rocket leaders. They all have semi competitive movesets with a Legendary.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

If I remember right, her Garchomp is level 60 the first time you fight her, then it increases to 66 on the second round. That’s not the highest-levelled Champion’s Pokémon, though - that would go to Alder, whose Volcarona is level 75. (See below.)

Cynthia and, to a lesser extent, Alder in BW. Mainly because of that akward level curve

Alder was really easy, at least if you had Emboar or another Fire, Flying or Rock type, but I think by that point my Pokémon were in their 80s or early 90s. His Volcarona can be annoying with its Quiver Dance, which raises its Attack and Speed by a lot, but otherwise he’s the easiest Champion I’ve ever fought in Pokémon. Then along comes Iris in B2/W2 with her more diversified team, including a Lapras and Aggron...

shoz999

Anabel in SM. Actually knocked out half my team

Dexio in SM/USUM. Comes with a Mega Alakazam and, in USUM, a Zygarde. Definitely threw me off guard but nothing too difficult

The Rainbow Rocket leaders. They all have semi competitive movesets with a Legendary.
Honestly I don't remember much from Alder. I remember he had a cool team and the Pokemon League had a huge jump in the level curve but that's about it really.

Also Anabel. While I didn't find Red & Blue too hard even underlevel, I do have to admit Anabel is another story lol. She's arguably the toughest post-game trainer in Sun & Moon when your few levels under.

As for Rainbow Rocket. Ghetsis's team is surprisingly still fairly tough but is it weird that I think Hydreigon is now actually Ghetsis's weakest Pokemon even though he's still kind of tough?

If I remember right, her Garchomp is level 60 the first time you fight her, then it increases to 66 on the second round. That’s not the highest-levelled Champion’s Pokémon, though - that would go to Alder, whose Volcarona is level 75. (See below.)

Alder was really easy, at least if you had Emboar or another Fire, Flying or Rock type, but I think by that point my Pokémon were in their 80s or early 90s. His Volcarona can be annoying with its Quiver Dance, which raises its Attack and Speed by a lot, but otherwise he’s the easiest Champion I’ve ever fought in Pokémon. Then along comes Iris in B2/W2 with her more diversified team, including a Lapras and Aggron...
According to the sites, Garchomp's starting level is 66 which fits my memory because I do remember Garchomp's level was above 60.

As for Iris, I like her draconian-themed team and for once it doesn't have a Gyarados lol.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
As for Rainbow Rocket. Ghetsis's team is surprisingly still fairly tough but is it weird that I think Hydreigon is now actually Ghetsis's weakest Pokemon even though he's still kind of tough?

Probably because he now either has Reshiram (Ultra Sun) or Zekrom (Ultra Moon). The RR leaders came from a world where they succeeded, remember?

As for Iris, I like her draconian-themed team and for once it doesn't have a Gyarados lol.

I liked how it wasn’t all Dragon-types, but rather Pokémon that look vaguely dragon-like. (Lapras is partly based on the Loch Ness Monster, which does look sort of dragon-y.) I think it’s a nod to the anime where Iris had an Emolga and Excadrill, which are of course not dragons.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I say Cynthia in the Unova games, although this is mostly because her team is grossly overleveled compared to other trainers in the area. Colress in Black 2/White 2 is pretty challenging, too, since his Magneton and Magnezone both have Sturdy, and Wash Rotom is only weak to Grass attacks.

shoz999

I say Cynthia in the Unova games, although this is mostly because her team is grossly overleveled compared to other trainers in the area. Colress in Black 2/White 2 is pretty challenging, too, since his Magneton and Magnezone both have Sturdy, and Wash Rotom is only weak to Grass attacks.
Oh man. His Wash Rotom is a tough one. I wonder how that Colress battle would fare now in a Gen 5 remakes with all the fairy-types around.

Probably because he now either has Reshiram (Ultra Sun) or Zekrom (Ultra Moon). The RR leaders came from a world where they succeeded, remember?

I liked how it wasn’t all Dragon-types, but rather Pokémon that look vaguely dragon-like. (Lapras is partly based on the Loch Ness Monster, which does look sort of dragon-y.) I think it’s a nod to the anime where Iris had an Emolga and Excadrill, which are of course not dragons.
I doubt it. I think it's just part of the fact that Dragon Masters also used Draconian-Themed Pokemon. I personally like how the Pokemon Adventures manga explains that a Dragon Master isn't just a master of Dragon-types but also Draconian-like Pokemon such as Gyarados or Tyranitar which reflects Lance pretty well.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh man. His Wash Rotom is a tough one. I wonder how that Colress battle would fare now in a Gen 5 remakes with all the fairy-types around.

Doesn’t Colress appear in US/UM?

shoz999

Red's team in the Gen II games was horrible due to the level jump after the 16th Gym. His ace was 20 levels higher than Blue's ace if I remember right.
It was an Lv. 81 Pikachu. Just one level behind Benga's Lv. 80 Volcarona

I would have to go with Cynthia, and also Red in Silver/Gold. Cynthia has a powerful team that can destroy you if you aren't prepared.

Red having that Espeon can catch you off guard. His team is so well balanced.
Oh yeah. All of Cynthia's Pokemon are dangerously powerful. She leads off with a Spiritomb which had no weaknesses back than. As for Red's Espeon, not a lot of counters to Psychic-types unfortunately in Gen 2. Although Dark-type was released and Bug-types gut some more moves, a lot of the good Dark, Ghost and Bug-types were locked off to Kanto or Trades and the good ones you could get in Johto were hard to get or sometimes even unnoticeable by many first-time players.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Either: GSC red because of forced grinding, BW cynthia because of the same thing, maybe ORAS wally's final rematches because of his metagame team (though grinding is incredibly easy in ORAS, so you can cheese him with a full team of lv 100s), BW2 seasonal N, Challenge mode Benga, USUM Lysandre (a mega + a box legendary), or BW alder

shoz999

Either: GSC red because of forced grinding, BW cynthia because of the same thing, maybe ORAS wally's final rematches because of his metagame team (though grinding is incredibly easy in ORAS, so you can cheese him with a full team of lv 100s), BW2 seasonal N, Challenge mode Benga, USUM Lysandre (a mega + a box legendary), or BW alder
You know what's funny. I haven't seen anyone here mention XY lol. I mean Gen 1 is more understandable but XY. I think the only post-game trainer you can battle outside of the Battle Chateau is literally Calem/Serena whose in the 66-70 range.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
You know what's funny. I haven't seen anyone here mention XY lol. I mean Gen 1 is more understandable but XY. I think the only post-game trainer you can battle outside of the Battle Chateau is literally Calem/Serena whose in the 66-70 range.
there's the looker chapter fights (+essentia's semi-daily rematches), but they're all easy (and unlike wally, calem/serena's team is also pretty easy, so you won't even need to be incredibly overleveled to win without much issue)

shoz999

there's the looker chapter fights (+essentia's semi-daily rematches), but they're all easy (and unlike wally, calem/serena's team is also pretty easy, so you won't even need to be incredibly overleveled to win without much issue)
When the XY remakes come out, I hope they bring out the complete post-game Kalos experience because there are just so many signs of how rushed XY was. Did you know that Volcanion's original Pokedex entry is that it was the nation-building Pokemon that blew away mountains to create the southern plains of Kanto where Kiloude City is? That is some real interesting stuff. I don't know about you but I'm calling it. It's going to be called XZ and YZ version because what else are they going to call it that sounds marketable?

Xuxuba

Probably Red from GSC.

I remember having a bit of a hard time back in BW/BW2 (cant remember which one) bc my entire team was underleveled in the postgame and there were some quite high lvl trainers in the unexplored areas.
I didn't have a problem with Cynthia tho, by the time i fought her my pokemon were no longer underleveled.