• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest Trainer/Boss to beat in a Pokemon game?

Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of other threads about this, but I'm interested to know

In your opinion, what trainer/boss is the most challenging or annoying to defeat?

Mine would probably be Cynthia in D/P

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
Besides Cynthia, another toughie would be Iris in Black2 (For me at least, it took perseverance and a truckton of potions to finally beat her...but the epicness was worth it!)

Goes the same with any Frontier Brain in Emerald, to a much more punishing degree!

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Hardest Champion:Cynthia,especially in Diamond/Pearl.All her Pokemon have flawless IVs and Spiritomb had no weaknesses back then.Her Pokemon are also overleveled for this portion of the game.
Hardest Gym Leader:Fantina in D/P(Confuse Ray is annoying).
Hardest Antagonist:probably Cyrus(Crobat kept confusing my Pokemon and causing them to flinch).

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Many people will immediatly spit cynthia, however i was disapointed hard when i swept her with an underleveled growth roselia...Thats a big no for me.

Ill go with Iris, Despite her teams stacking weaknesses she uses several coverage options and even boosting moves, making her battle sligthly challenging.

Another mention goes to elesa voltswitch shennanigans. It can catch a lot of players offguard.

And Morty Gengar is tying close to Fabtinamismagius as wake up call boses.

As for hardest boss? Pt cyrus takes the cake since its level match that portion of the game, BW Ghetsis is at a tie with him, the pokemon with items, and that blasted hydreigon could make the match hell. Yet given his endgame battle he could be easily outleveled, or his cofragrigus much like cynthia spiritomb could be used as setup bait.

Last edited:

atom8bit

Champ to Be
Honestly, the hardest gym leader was always Clay. That darned Excadrill :)
Seems a bit too rough at that point in the game. I never really had much trouble with anyone else, save for my first time with Cynthia (Diamond was my first game.)

Nightblind249

Hardest Gym=Whitney -Miltank, enough said
Elite Four member=Aaron -Yeah I know but I had many issues with Vespiquen
Siebold -My team wasn't water friendly and didn't have any items. I should of planned better...... A few potions later I won.

These are the few that first come to mind.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
When I was a kid I could never beat Steven in Emerald.

Iris was probably the easiest champion I've faced along with Alder. I actually don't even remember what Iris' team has on it. Early in W2 I caught an Axew just because but it ended out becoming my "starter" and I leveled it to be significantly stronger than the rest of my team(It was Lvl 80 by the time I fought Iris) and I just swept the entire E4 and Iris with that Haxorus. He has since become my buddy and landed in my favorite dragon types(which there aren't many of).

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
The obvious answer is Whitney and Cynthia, whom I had trouble with, but I remember Wattson the being the most trouble. I probably remember him most because Emerald was my very first game. I picked Treecko and I ran into so much trouble with Magneton even with my Aron, who had Mud Slap and Rollout. By the time I got Magneton into the yellow, Wattson used a Super Potion every time!! When I finally beat Magneton, my team was so worn down that Manectric mopped us up. It took 20 tries before I finally beat him! I have the same trouble every time I replay Emerald.

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
Cynthia and Whitney definitely come to mind. However I generally find the champions easy to beat. I also don't see what's so hard about Ghetsis' Hydreigon, I always 1 hit KO'd it with a strong fighting-type move. Probably the hardest challenge I've ever had is Gardenia, I chose Piplup and that gave me a hard time!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I wouldn't say that anyone you battle in the main game is hard. It's easy to defeat all of them, especially the champion.

But I will say that I have been defeated many times in the Super Single Battle Subway in Pokémon Black.

Getting 10 straight wins is difficult there. Of course easy compared to REAL players when battling online, but for CPU they are tough.

So yeah I'm going with the trainers in the Super Single Battle Subway in Pokémon Black.

The trainers in the battle tower in Pokémo Crystal were tough too.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
I wouldn't say that anyone you battle in the main game is hard. It's easy to defeat all of them, especially the champion.

But I will say that I have been defeated many times in the Super Single Battle Subway in Pokémon Black.

Getting 10 straight wins is difficult there. Of course easy compared to REAL players when battling online, but for CPU they are tough.

So yeah I'm going with the trainers in the Super Single Battle Subway in Pokémon Black.

The trainers in the battle tower in Pokémo Crystal were tough too.

I agree with this, granted, I was young playing Crystal, so I didn't know how to go about beating it. :p
I found Cynthia a little difficult on my first playthrough of Pearl. Her Garchomp and Milotic gave me a run for my money.
Marshall and Iris gave me problems as well in White2; my team wasn't that well thought-out though. lol

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I had troubles with Whitney and Cynthia. The first time I ever faced Whitney I was a really young kid lol. Facing that Milktank was a nightmare! Then I eventually traded for that Machop in Goldenrod City, and I defeated her pretty soundly.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Definitely Cynthia, the biggest challenges are Milotic and the over levelled Garchomp. Lucian is another tough one due to the lack of Fire types in D/P. I did have an Infernape on Pearl, but I am reluctant to use it on Bronzong out of fear Bronzong would tank a hit then one shot it with Psychic.

In Platinum the first battle against Barry is a pain if you chose Piplup, it marked the first time I lost in the first battle against your in-game rival.

fireice

I may be the only one who says this but Clair in Silver / Gold would be the hardest as its not long after the 7th gym and her pokemon are a crazy high level considering that game does not have many areas good for grinding and her dragons know strong moves and then she has a Kingdra which uses Dragon Pulse and it seems to critiwho at that point you won't have anything that is super effective against it.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
she has a Kingdra which uses Dragon Pulse and it seems to critiwho at that point you won't have anything that is super effective against it.

True, but Kingdra's HP is horrible, and its defense and special defense stats are good but not great.

So knocking out a Kingdra is easy with neutral damage.

fireice

the biggest issue is the level ups she is good 6-7 levels higher than the previous gym leader and the pokemon in between were bad xp wise so unless you spend a lot of time grinding you would likely be underlevelled when you reached her.

It's also the same reason why I found Lance quite difficult due to level spike and hardly anything decent to gain xp from. So lots of tedius battles to try and reach a respectable level is what made the leaders tough. That game had some of the hardest leaders in the series.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
the biggest issue is the level ups she is good 6-7 levels higher than the previous gym leader and the pokemon in between were bad xp wise so unless you spend a lot of time grinding you would likely be underlevelled when you reached her.

It's also the same reason why I found Lance quite difficult due to level spike and hardly anything decent to gain xp from. So lots of tedius battles to try and reach a respectable level is what made the leaders tough. That game had some of the hardest leaders in the series.

Well, to be fair fighting wild Pokémon is a terrible way to train in all games, not just G/S/C.

It took me over a day to train a Pokémon from level 40 to level 50 in Pokémon black.

Cynthia was much easier in Platinum. In diamond and pearl there weren't enough Pokemon available, and her party was over levelled.

Another hard one for me is Ghetsis's Hydreigon in B/W.