• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest Trainer/Boss to beat in a Pokemon game?

thunder2910

Loves pizza
Cynthia, I remember having a hard time trying to beat her

fireice

this may sound funny but the most trouble I had all thru Black/White was Leonara and her watchdog that used retaliate :l

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
For me, the toughest gym leader was Morty in HG, especially on my second run through. I had to wait and evolve my Magikarp, to have one pokemon that didn't get oneshotted and could hit back.
Champion-wise, IDK. I never had too many issues with the champions, but DP Cynthia was a close one.
Evil bosses... I only ever lost once to an evil boss, and that was BW Ghetsis. It was also the battle when I realised how good Durant actually was.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Yeah, man. That guy was tough.

It's hard enough to train a Pokémon to their level 50's.

But getting them to level 80's is even more difficult.

I'm sure most of us bad problem with him.

Swept him first time with level 58 meganium, level 59 pidgeot, Level 52 hypno, level 50 donphan, level 50 lanturn(HM slave for flash surf whirlpool and waterfal) and level 60 stantler.

He was a joke, the only annoying thing was his snorlax who got destroyed by level 52 nigthmare hypno. A complete pushover in every sense of the word. Blue and lance where harder.

Last edited:

Ravenskye

Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of other threads about this, but I'm interested to know

In your opinion, what trainer/boss is the most challenging or annoying to defeat?

Mine would probably be Cynthia in D/P

Are we counting Pokemon consul games? If we are I say Mysterial Master's Battle set 8 in Pokemon Battle Revolution. Otherwise I say Cynthia and Cyrus as well.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
ghetsis was really tough in the original pokemon black. I lost the first time. I hated his hydreigon.

Pilpulp

美的
May - Route 110
Liza & Tate - Emerald
Elesa - B/W & B2/W2
Whitney - G/S/C/HG/SS
Siebold - *No this isn't bias, I seriously had trouble with him in my first playthrough.

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer
Red, easily. Haven't played Sinnoh, so not sure how tough Cynthia is.

Kalosian

So long
I find most trainers to be defeatable without problems if you just have prepared well enough before facing them, but if not... they might become troublesome. Some I have had trouble against because I wasn't prepared enough were the whole E4 in Yellow, Whitney in G/S/C, Juan in Emerald, Gardenia and Volkner in Platinum, Sabrina in HG/SS, Lenora and Cynthia in B/W and maybe others I can't remember. I don't recall ever having any trouble against Red though. If Battle Facility bosses count, then the Gold Battles against Brandon and Anabel in Emerald, the second Battle against Palmer in D/P and the Super Line battle against Evelyn in X were also problematic for me for various reasons. For the one I found the very hardest, I have to say Anabel as I lost against her once and then had some trouble winning in my rematch with her as well.

My hardest bosses are:

D/P Cynthia - Her pokemon were way too high levelled for the game. Much easier in Platinum.

HG&SS Clair and Lance - There were barely any dragon types in the region. It's really hard to knock out three pseudo-legendaries in a row!

BW Ghetsis - That freaking Hydreigon! Geez! How do you get a Lv54 Hydreigon anyway?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Clair in Gen II if you had no friends with Link Cables. Kingdra was basically the ONLY Dragon Pokemon you could get at a level high enough to match Clair's. Ice Pokemon weren't too hard to get thanks to Ice Cave but a Dratini or Dragonair? Had to beat Clair first. At least HGSS made it a bit easier thanks to the GTS and PokeWalker. Kingdra was difficult to defeat due to its movepool and its sole weakness at the time of GSC being very rare and hard to obtain by yourself.

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
Whitney- Well everyone knew this coming
Cynthia- I had trouble with that SUPER bulky togekiss of hers....
Jasmine- You have to place to train after beating Chuck, i was seriously under-leveled!!

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Hardest in general? Hmm. There was a similar one for Gym Leaders. But since this includes everyone right?

Kanto: Hardest trainer for me is either Sabrina or Erika. I'm just never fully prepared for either.
Johto: In GSC it was Whitney and Red. In HGSS Clair and Lance's tag team match was the hardest battle. Especially underleveled.
Hoenn: Flannery and Steven. Steven is currently the hardest champion for me. Even today.
Sinnoh: Palmer and Thorton. In the original DP it's Palmer. In Platinum it's Thorton. I'm sure Cynthia just cracks everyones list. She's tough, but I've fought tougher in Sinnoh.
Unova: Ghetsis. In White version. Because Fairy Pokemon were not invented yet, this fight is unfair. I hate you Hydreigon. Probably one of the hardest Pokemon I have ever
battled. I was so unprepared for that nightmare. Just barely managed to defeat it the first time. Hydreigon is the reason Fairy Pokemon exist. I stand by that.
Kalos: I can't think of one right now. The difficulty of XY remains the same to me.

There are many trainers hard in Pokemon. These ones just come to my mind first. Anyone can be tough if you aren't prepared though. But the Hydreigon...I still shudder.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Toughest trainer I've battled are the ace duo just before veilstone city, they always beat me like 10 times :S
Cyrus also gave me many many troubles.

gen 1 kanto -lance
gen 2 jhoto- whitney
gen 3 hoenn- steven when he is in the cave
^^^^^ those were only hard because i never took into consideration type diversity in the movesets for my pokemon so i would give for example my blastoise just water type attacks
gen 3 kanto- blue
gen 4 sinnoh- bertha (only because the grass types sucked and no good ice type pokemon until after u beat e4)
gen 4 jhoto- red or blue
gen 5 unova- cynthia

NotABeginningTrainer

Toughest trainer I've battled are the ace duo just before veilstone city, they always beat me like 10 times :S
Cyrus also gave me many many troubles.
I know exactly who you are talking about. That duo has screwed me over on nuzlocke runs before. Now I always battle them separately. Another tough ace trainer duo in sinnoh is the double battle on the route to celestic town with a raichu and gyarados.

poke-man

Pokemon collector
(not able to include gen 5 but here's my list)
Rival hanging out under the cycle path in RSE. No matter how I prepare (short of grinding by about 7-10 levels for half of my pokemon) I can never seem to make it easier.

Hardest champion for me would be the rival/champion battle in the original game (fr/lg too I suppose). Agatha was difficult in the original too, but a nidoking/queen could own her if you had bothered to get one (who wouldn't though!?).

I don't remember any gym leader in particular really being too difficult, a couple challenging ones, but none really stand out. Tate and Liza were annoying though, with that exploding claydol with earthquake in emerald mainly. Easy to take care of if you know about it when you go in though, a wailmer or a tropius (if you can keep it alive...) will murder that thing.

Red was cool, but I usually had a team of 90's and a couple lv100's by the time I reached him, so not too much trouble.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Mine is Burgh. I played all 4 of the Black and White games and I lost to him 40 times in total. Even when I had Flying and Fire Type Pokemon I couldn't stand a chance against him really. I don't know how I remember beating him the first time, but when I played White I used the special Event Reshiram to mow him down. It's cheap, but I wanted to get him over with.