• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which was the hardest leader?

• Chili/Cilan/Cress

Votes: 218 9.2%
  • Lenora

Votes: 792 33.4%
  • Burgh

Votes: 120 5.1%
  • Elesa

Votes: 741 31.3%
  • Clay

Votes: 215 9.1%
  • Skyla

Votes: 71 3.0%
  • Brycen

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • Drayden/Iris

Votes: 429 18.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whataffah

Gah, Elesa. Hardest. Gym. Leader. Ever.

Seriously, it took me three tries. I felt way overleveled (level 30...).

My team:

Nala the Dewott
Timon the Watchog
McMurphy the Rufflet

Elesa's Team:

Emolga Male
Emolga Female
Zebstrika

Those Emolga were so hard! Well, I had two team members with weaknesses, but still! Volt Switch was awful.

I loved this gym! It was so hard! I enjoyed the challenge, wish we could've seen more of Elesa's personality.

I would've finished the battle the frist time (I think, you never know...) if I had just let McMurphy Rock Slide (I was so surprised when it hatched and knew Rock Slide...) both Emolga, if he survived consecutive Volt Switches (he could take two thanks to Eviolite), but I was stubborn and wanted all three of my Pokemon to get a win in the gym.

If the game was the anime, Dewott versus Emolga male would've been the star match. Eventually, thanks to Timon's Hypnosis, Nala beat her nemesis. Timon took out Zebstrika easily, and McMurphy defeated the other Emolga.

Awesome. Battle.

So, yeah. Elesa makes Cilan look easy.

So, Gyms in order of personal difficulty (so far):

-Elesa
-Cilan
-Lenora
-Burgh

The last two are honestly a tie. I didn't have the same issues with Lenora that others had. Maybe because Keen Eye Watchog's Hypnosis rocks? Who knows.

Next Gym: Clay.

I'm not thinking he'll be hard. I think Elesa's going to have been the ahrdest match for me in the entire game.

It's not weird that this gym was tough for you, according to your team. You need to make your team more balanced. No one of your team has resistance against Electric moves, so yeah... Krookodile later on, is a beast btw. I don't get why you didn't got urself a Sandile.

I have reached Driftveil city now, so I'm on the same timeline as you are... You can variate your time as much as I do, or are you waiting to capture new ones later on... like Axew? -gonna be in my team later on, but eh, for which...? I'm thinking of Pignite...-

Plusle.

Plusle!
Elesa was the hardest for me.

Ghost Dialga

Master Trainer
Took me only one try on five of them, Cilan, Lenora, and Elesa all took multiple tries.
Elesa took two, Lenora took two, and Cilan, dunno how many he took. I was determined not to use Pansear against him, so yeah. Cilan was the hardest for me.

Utopian

faults & feats
hmm, i'd say clay becuz of under-levelness, other than that, i swept skyla, brycen, burgh, and elesa :) elesa was VERY easy, just use sandile

squirtleking

Defender of Justice
Cress: My Lillipup beat his, Pansage beat Panpour - pretty easy.

Lenora: Had to do this twice after getting slaughtered first time, Pignite just held on second time round for the win.

Burgh: By this point I had Pignite, Tranquill and Blitzle with Flame charge. Swpt him.

Eliza: Lost first time because i was hung up on beating Zebstrika with my Blitzle - failed by like 1HP! Second time around, Krokorok FTW

Clay: OHKOed Excadrill with Hammer Arm

Skyla: After beating Unfezant with my own, I remember yawning and saying "Zebstrika, just kill that Swanna..."

Brycen: OHKOing Beartic with my own Beartic = yays

Iris: Beartic, Emboar and Fraxure beat her up pretty easily, nearly let Haxorus set up but Emboar barely beat him in time.

Overall, Lenora was probably hardest, since my loss to Elisa was my own fault.

Vycksta

The 4th KIRA said:
Is Skyla really that easy to defeat? I remember her being quite the challenge in the Japanese versions.
Sadly, much as she's one of my favourites, she is. Three Electro Balls from my Emolga, Lilynette... and buh-bye, as Bianca would say.

Sure, I had an Electric type. But even if I didn't I honestly don't think she would have been much hassle. My Liepard was quite the boss after a Hone Claws. I say quite because now it's post-game she's struggling somewhat.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
I'd have to say Lenora for me because my team at that time was a Dewott, a Pansear, and four Pickup Lillipup. I had to fight her using only two Pokémon, my Fire Monkey was quite under leveled at that point of the game. I planned on sweeping her team with the Dual Blade Otter, but a freak crit knocked him out, and I had to sacrifice my Pansear to revive my water starter. Still after that mishap I was able to execute a nice Razor Shell sweep (hurrah for Adamant nature!).

Araleon

Chill
It's not weird that this gym was tough for you, according to your team. You need to make your team more balanced. No one of your team has resistance against Electric moves, so yeah... Krookodile later on, is a beast btw. I don't get why you didn't got urself a Sandile.

I have reached Driftveil city now, so I'm on the same timeline as you are... You can variate your time as much as I do, or are you waiting to capture new ones later on... like Axew? -gonna be in my team later on, but eh, for which...? I'm thinking of Pignite...-

Well, when I play the games, I like to beat the story with a team of six that I grow attached to, and I just only had access to these three by this gym. I don't want a Sandile. If I used one, I'd grow attached to it and have to rearrange my planned team to account for it.

My planned team is more balanced. I just grabbed a Vanillite.

PokeBrian

First Gen
The first gym leader was pretty tough. My friend and I both started the game at the same time and we didn't realize that we'd get a free elemental monkey in the dream yard and got our butts handed to us. Several time. If not, the rest of the game was pretty much a breeze :p

cottageboy789

I really can't remember having too much trouble with any of them, the entire Dragon gym was soloed by my Vanillish, and i never left to heal. Every person was down in one ice beam, and the only healing i had to do was using some ethers.

SmartD

Of all the the Gym Leaders in White I faced, Lenora was probably the one I had a little trouble with. Her Watchog keeps knocking out my Pokemon, so I caught a Timburr to help beat her. The other Gym Leader were easy, even Iris.

I would have to say Drayden gave me the most trouble(if any). At the time, I didn't have any well trained dragon/ice pokemon.

D. Scott

Lenora by far. It was her Herdier that got me. It destroyed most of my team just in the battle that I actually won; three or four battles before, it had been destroying my entire slow team with that freaking Take Down. I bust out laughing when I finally beat it, though, and it gave me 666 exp. =D

The Mursu

<-- Epic coat!
Cilan was my greatest problem, not sure I lost to anyone else... I didn't use the monkey at the first gym, which might've been smart...

Iris' pokemon all went down with one hit, though I think I was pretty overleveled. Didn't really have problems with Elesa either

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
My Pignite, Woobat and Pansage got taken down by Watchog but a lvl 14 Timburr I picked up for no reason at all took it out. :D

I was not prepared for Elesa's Volt Switch tactic at all (my team was perfectly leveled) managed to beat her with only 1 Pokemon left.

Don't even get me started with Clay's Excadrill. That thing was a beast. Bull Dozer took out all my Pokémon and Rock Slide too out my Swoobat. Took me 4 tries to beat him.

Cress, Burgh, Skyla and Brycen were all very easy. Not looking forward to Iris though. -.-

Jubkid

I Haz Tygurr Bludd
Elesa was a nightmare. I lost a lot of hp on at least two pokemon from the Emolgas and the Zebstrika was destroying me.

Vycksta

IanDonyer said:
Lenora by far. It was her Herdier that got me. It destroyed most of my team just in the battle that I actually won; three or four battles before, it had been destroying my entire slow team with that freaking Take Down. I bust out laughing when I finally beat it, though, and it gave me 666 exp. =D
THIS IS CLEARLY AN OMEN AND MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

Saying that it was her Watchog who OHKOed one of my Pokemon. Pignite to the rescue.

I now have all 8 gym badges, but I'll still go with Lenora as being the toughest due to how overpowered her Pokémon were so early on in the game. The last three gym leaders were honestly a joke... I purposely used Pokémon that didn't hit for super-effective damage just to make it a little bit more challenging, and yet they were still a breeze. You know there's a problem when an underleveled Stunfisk can take on Brycen's team alone... I was also very disappointed with Iris, considering she was the final gym leader and hardly scratched my team. Oh, and as much as I like Skyla, she's just a pathetic excuse for a gym leader, even rivaling Falkner (from 2nd generation) for the title of worst gym leader of all generations (Sorry Skyla)!

Anyway, I'll classify them in terms of difficulty, with 1) being the most difficult and 8) the easiest:

1) Lenora (Take Down, Retaliate, Hypnosis... she hardly gives you a chance!)
2) Clay (After Hone Claws, his Excadrill was quite deadly... if he used the appropriate move. Got totally confusehaxed from Swagger too).
3) Cilan (Possibly because I refused to use the fire monkey that was given to me. If you let him spam Work Up, your team is as good as done)
4) Elesa (I can see why the Emolgas can be annoying with Volt Change. At first I didn't use a Zebstrika and had a hard time defeating her)
5) Burgh (His Pokémon were varied enough in typing so I couldn't really rely on just one Pokémon to take on his entire team. They were quite defensive.)
6) Iris (Too much Dragon Dance spam when I faced her... wonder why she didn't just start attacking. Didn't get to see her full potential)
7) Brycen (Used an underleveled Stunfisk to take on his entire team. Enough said).
8) Skyla (Do I really need to say why?)

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
T's quite interesting how everyone had the hardest time with lenora...for me it was Clay...so here's how things go down:
The first gym leader, whether it be cilan, cress, or chili, is easy. Once the lillipup is disposed of, your elemental pokemon will easily beat their elemental monkey.
Lenora was a bit tricky...I beat her herdier by first sending out a timburr to do as much damage as possible and KO'd it with my own herdier with rock smash...the watchog was a pain but after whittling it down to yellow with my herdier and tranquill, my servine easily finished it off with leaf tornado.
Burgh was the easiest...servine took care of dwebble and darumaka easily swept whirlipede and leavanny.
Elesa didn't go as planned because I thought my moxie sandile can sweep her whole team with rock tomb and dig but it ended up being KO'd by an emolga so I had to resort to using my zebstrika to beat her team...this battle took some time but it was more stally than hard.
Now Clay was the hardest for me. his krookodile and palpitoad easily went down to servine's leaf blade but the Excadrill was a monster...I thought my krokook could take it out with dig so I did that only to have it set up hone claws on me. What's more is that my dig leaves it in the red so all he had to do was heal it. After that it took out my krokorok with slash, my tranquill with rock slide, my darumaka with bulldoze, my zebstrika with bulldoze, and my herdier with bulldoze...only when servine was up was it able to take a slash, hit it with leaf blade, take another slash (barely) and KO with leaf blade.
Skyla was easy, swept her whole team with zebstrika
Brycen was easy...swept his whole team with my darmanitan
Iris was easy...her fraxure sets up d-dance so I got my fraxure to do the same thing and swept her whole team with it, even the haxorus.

Status
Not open for further replies.