• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter and the School of Fear Discussion Thread

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
Harry Potter and the School of Fear: Year One
Discussion Thread

All righty then, I was given permission to create a discussion thread for the Harry Potter and the School of Fear RPG. I am going to ask that there be no flamming, no spamming, and that everyone treat each other in a respectful manner.

Now then, we have all that out of the way, so let's start this. You may use this thread to discuss things related to the RPG, not to boost your post count. Things you may do here include:

*Asking about relationships
*Asking about information related to the RPG
*Approving a really big event
*Asking about characters
*Approving spells or anything else

Now then, really big story events will be posted here ahead of time, so everyone can get the data they need. Also, if you have questions, please feel free to post them here, and I will answer to the best of my ability until the real leader gets back from Thanksgiving break.

Also, a point I will put up again, so there is no questioning it.

NO LSU's. Flat out.

Until Oblivion gets back, I will be answering questions you might have in his absence. That should be at least Friday, so bear with everyone until then. Post the into to your characters, because I think this is going to be a long RPG. No double posting.

ForestEmerald

Indigo Champion
Okay, I have a question. What kind of spells are we going to be using? In know right away we won't be using things like the Summoning Charm. Just so I can get an idea.

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
Basic things from the Standard Book of Spells: Grade One. But we're not even at the school, so no one should know any casting yet. I think Oblivion might have a set of spells from each year that we might learn. We won't even be at the school at the end of the week, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

ForestEmerald

Indigo Champion
Alrighty. Good to know he has this very well planned out. I just got finished editing my first post. I added a little more than what I had.

MerkelHog

Metallic fighter
Hey should I post both my character's and his sisters's reaction in getting accepted into Hogwarts since I included both of them in my sign up?

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
As both are twins, they should both be going to Hogwarts. Yes, post both, and make sure to include something about my character, we are traveling together.

Knightblazer

Memories in the Rain
Umm... I would want to ask if I could make my character learn the Refilling Charm (Verbal only), cos, well... its just to add something more interesting to him. (Okay, so its just refilling a bottle of liquidified Mashed Potatoes and chicken gravy to eat whenever he's hungry)

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
We're not even getting our wands yet, hold up on those questions until Oblivion gets back. I'm not the leader, just filling in questions. That might be okay later, but right now we aren't supposed to know magic.

Just post intros and getting your letters and things, no Platform Nine and Three Quarters at all. Maybe Diagon Alley, but that's as far as we're going until our leader gets back.

S

Shadowcat

Agreed. Anyway, my character is a bookworm, so she would probably be reading all her textbooks before she started school. But, how does she get to Diagon Alley if she's a muggle?

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
Common sense dictates that, like Tom Riddle, her letter would come with directions to Diagon Alley. I's okay for them to know a few basic spells, but our characters fon't even have wands yet, so no spell casting.

That Muggle thought goes to all Muggle-borns, your letter should come with directions to Diagon Alley

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
I'm back from my family's! We had, like, thirty people packed into my great-granny's tiny house and there was NO room whatsoever to walk. Naturally, there was no hope at getting to the computer. No internet at the hotel either, so now I'm back to find a load of questions. Well, here I go...

Okay, I have a question. What kind of spells are we going to be using? In know right away we won't be using things like the Summoning Charm. Just so I can get an idea.
The cirriculum will mostly end up here, but anything outside that that you want to do must be approved by me or my new co-leader for the School of Fear RP series, Powershot! *applause*
Yup, Powershot, you seem competent and I liked your RP skills when I glanced 'em over. You're the co-leader for a whole seven RPs.

Hey should I post both my character's and his sisters's reaction in getting accepted into Hogwarts since I included both of them in my sign up?
Yes, Merkel. Two characters generally means two reactions.

Umm... I would want to ask if I could make my character learn the Refilling Charm (Verbal only), cos, well... its just to add something more interesting to him. (Okay, so its just refilling a bottle of liquidified Mashed Potatoes and chicken gravy to eat whenever he's hungry)
NO, knight. You only just got your wand, refilling charms are going to be a year or two ahead. If you had a REALLY good reason, rather than just being able to get food whenever it was wanted, I might consider giving him a spell from the next year up. Even that would have to be approved, though.

Anyway, my character is a bookworm, so she would probably be reading all her textbooks before she started school. But, how does she get to Diagon Alley if she's a muggle?
Yes, so she might be a month or two ahead, but still excercise caution. Like Power said, muggle-borns receive letters with instructions on reaching Diagon Alley. We will have wands, but we won't be able to hex each other, except maybe a minor knockback jinx. That's the farthest you get until classes.

Last edited:

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
*Power Shot bows over the heads of everyone*

Thanks, I did the best I could here. Um, do you have a list of spells yet?

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
Of course not! We don't have any standard spells for everyone yet, so there'd be no point. Maybe Ollivander could teach the wand light, to demonstrate, but nothing further than that...

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
Something I feel like pointing out for everyone.

I know that at least a few people want to know certain spells, like for instance, I would like Drew, my character, to know Expecto Patronum. But he can't because we are IN THE FIRST YEAR. They didn't even learn the Refilling Charm until sixth year, so it's easy to say that that will not be learnt for a while.

That does not mean, though, that some spells will be allowed to be learnt ahead of time. Play with your strengths, as Moody said, and I agree with that. A person who hates Potions would not be able to learn advance Potion making skills for example. A person good with Herbology would naturally be able to learn better spells that deal with plants.

People good at Dark Arts would be able to cast Dark magic better than others, and so forth. But remember that we are all beginners, so we shouldn't even be seeing things like Jelly Legs.

People like my character and others that are naturally smarter than the others would be able to learn harder spells from more sources, but not as well as the ones with that certain talent, like Nevile in Herbology.

What events are we covering in the first year? It is my understanding to give everyone a fair shot, the Triwizard Cup should be in second and seventh year, as it is held every five years. But for Quidditch teams and everything, what will be done about that?

D

DeadlyMighty

I agree highly with Powershot. I mean, look at Hermione. She was a first year and she conquered some hard spells that not even third years knew. ANd if the Triwizard Tournament is held in their second year, none of us will be choosen, because we are too young, and who would play all the other champions, like the Durmstrang Students and Beauxbatons? That's my only question.

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
Well, I just had that thought as it occures every five years. Maybe in the seventh year then, but for the second year perhaps not, as it would just be repeating old material.

D

DeadlyMighty

Yeah, maybe not. Always want somethin knew and exciting dont you?

MalionX

<Is Ash gay or what?
Forgive me as I am not in the RP, but might I suggest that in the second year, have the tournament at a different school. Since it rotates every five years.
Only the seventh years leave. Plus, theres no new characters to introduce.
Just a random suggestion.
Do what you may.

Power Shot

Reignited with Ego!
Ah, that's a much better idea. Thank you for inturrupting then, that was a good idea.

And yes, DeathlyMighty, you know how much I love excitement.

*does heroic pose, with dazzling smile, all the girls swoon towards Power Shot, forces him to fly away in fear for his life*

D

DeadlyMighty

*giggles* Right. that could work, but the thign is we still wouldnt be able to compete, well, our charators that we have made wouldnt. Its ministry law that you have to over teh age ove 16.