• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter general fan thread!

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
I love all the movies but my favorite has to be the 6th one because it goes into snapes history with Harry's mom, plus it's what starts the events leading up to the final battle, my favorite book was the 7th, especially the epilogue where it's a new generation aT hogwarts though in the movie they left out Harry's adopted son

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
As much as I liked the books, they didn't really inspire me to write. They were great books but I didn't become interested in writing until I was 16 and by then I had already read so many books that it's hard to really pinpoint what inspired me. Anyway, I don't think I have a favorite book. I think they're all great in their own way; I know that Chamber of Secrets is considered the worst book among the fandom, but I enjoyed it as much as the others. The one that I've read the most if Half-Blood Prince though, so maybe that could be a favorite of mine (I read it continuously to look for clues about Book 7). My favorite HP movie would have to be the first one though. I thought it accurately portrayed the first book.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
My favorite Harry Potter movie, other then Deathly Hallows Part 2 (which was so epic) would probably be Goblet of Fire. Why? I really like how this one bridged the direction of Harry Potter. Goblet of Fire shaped the future of the series and it's when the series shifts to a darker tone, true all the Harry Potter installments have a dark tone in their own way but IMO, Goblet of Fire is when it got really dark and a much more serious tone, especially in the movies.

However my fave book and Movie of Harry Potter differ. While Goblet of Fire is my fave movie after Deathly Hallows, Order of the Phoenix would probably be my favorite of the book series. I still get excited by the end of Order of the Phoenix and it was just so good. Now I want to read it again :)

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
I like deathly hallows prt.2 ( movie ) too , but in a different way Than philosopher's ( sorcerer's) or chamber of secrets. I also like the prisoner of azkaban movie, because of the dementors 0^0 derp! Also , Harry's son is adopted? I thought Ginny weasley gave birth to his son? I think the books get dark around book 6 and for movies , movie no 4. . [Also a message for blaze boy : you haven't really said anything good about the HP franchise, so please read the first comment. Criticism is okay , but not complete dising. The movies aren't all terrible, there may be some that you don't like but saying the whole series is terrible is a bit harsh .] thnx for all your great comments ! I'm not the only HP and pokefan out there!^_^

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I didn't start reading the books until after I saw the first movie on its opening day (the film got messed up at the end, so we waited anywhere from five to fifteen minutes waiting for them to fix the projector). I was nine when it came out, so indeed I did grow up with the books. I enjoyed them very much as a kid, that I believe it was the inspiration when I began to really write. I remember when we had to wait three years for Order of Phoenix to be published, that it was around that time I almost lost interest in Harry Potter.

Then the book itself came out, and while it took Mom three days to read it all, I spent about a week or so reading it because it was really dull in the beginning, much like it was with Goblet of Fire. I actually had to re-read it from the beginning because I lost where I left off, and that's when I really started to hate Professor Umbridge. Nasty character, she was.

Movie-wise, the first two will always be my favorites of the series. It really was noticeably different from the third movie-onward due to changing of directors, but I was never particularly fond of them after the fourth movie (again, fifth movie made me squirm because of Umbridge). I have never seen Deathly Hollows parts one and two if only because I just didn't care at that point. By this time, I believe it had been a couple of years since the last book was released. After I finished reading it, I was pretty much done with Harry Potter. I haven't read them again since, so they're gathering dust on my desk. And I also fell away from the fandom at that point as well.

Granted, I wasn't that big of a fan to begin with (even though I was hoping for Hermione and Harry to get together, heh), so I fell away for natural reasons and not because there were crazy Harry Potter fans that ruined it for me. (There was a brief period of time in high school where I occasionally role-played as Hermione--because I look[ed] like a blonde version of her--with a group of friends during lunch, but that was it.) Okay, they kinda have these days, to be frank, but I'm still not interested in coming back to the fandom either way. The last time I read anything Harry Potter-related fan fiction-wise was I think back in June, and it did make me reconsider coming back.

Still, the memories of elementary school being stricken with Harry Potter fever fulfill some of the nostalgic feelings of childhood. I wasn't really that person who was stupidly waiting for my letter to come by owl (it was more-or-less wanting to be a Pokémon trainer, or to be a Card Captor), but I enjoyed the atmosphere as a kid. I don't think I'll ever have similar feelings anymore when it comes to new things in the future, but I do get that urge every now and then to go back and read the books. Who knows when I'll do that, though, so for now, all I have are just the nostalgic feelings, and I'm personally content with it.

miles0624

Wrath of Fire
Worst book was the sixth hands down.
Worst movie was the third. What was that.
Also, I was sorted into Ravenclaw, and patronous is a spider.

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
I think hermione should have been with harry ! Hermione is one of my fave HP characters . I remember , my mom said I had to "grow up" with the movie series , so She only let me watch each movie if she thought I was grown up enough for each movie . (I'm a middle - schooler by the way) . I hate umbridge too. Lol I was so happy when the centaurs took her away and Harry's says "I must not tell lies" OMG !

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think hermione should have been with harry ! Hermione is one of my fave HP characters .

But it was most likely hinted at before Harry explicitly said it that he saw Hermione more of a sister or motherly figure. I can't exactly remember when it was Harry found himself falling for Ginny. Ginny's apparently liked him since at least Chamber of Secrets, but it felt one-sided for a long time. I actually thought Harry and Luna would get together, to be honest.

I remember , my mom said I had to "grow up" with the movie series , so She only let me watch each movie if she thought I was grown up enough for each movie . (I'm a middle - schooler by the way) .

Not a bad idea, honestly. I was thinking on doing that with my own kids, but then again I have way too many dumb "experiments" I want to do with them involving movies and the like, and probably by that time, I wouldn't even bother. *shrugs*

I hate umbridge too. Lol I was so happy when the centaurs took her away and Harry's says "I must not tell lies" OMG !

If you know about centaurs (it's possible most of the older readers who studied up on Greek mythology do), then you'll know what happens to Umbridge when they take her away. For those who don't, in mythology, centaurs are known to rape women. Which actually makes the one centaur professor a little creepy... now that I think about it. (Then again, he was exiled for something, and as Professor Dumbledore personally hired him, he was probably a good, intellectual centaur who knew how to control his urges.)

Lorde

*Senses a shipping war on the horizon* I actually always wanted Harry and Hermione to end up together. Not that I really shipped them or anything, but it seemed like the most natural relationship imo. I wasn't pleased that Harry ended up with Ginny, who literally did nothing after Book 2 imo. Harry was so fickle too. First he liked Cho for some inexplicable reason, then he ran to Ginny and completely ignored Hermione who was always there for him. Poor Hermione had to settle for Ron instead which didn't quite satisfy me. *Goes and writes Harry x Hermione fan fiction to release her fury*

As for the sorting thing, I've taken lots of different tests and quizzes and I always end up being sorted into random houses. I never even cared for any of them to be honest, but if Hogwarts was real I'd probably end up in Hufflepuff since I'm not brave or ambitious or even intelligent or have any of the other qualities and characteristics of the other houses.

Last edited:

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Harry x Hermione? Really? I was always an advocate of Harry x Luna because it always seemed like Luna was one of the very few people who truly understood what Harry was going through in his life; there was the scene where he saw the Thestrals for the first time, when he talked to her after losing Sirius, etc. I understand that maybe she was never really meant to be a romantic interest for him, but I always thought that it would have been a very interesting relationship (potty looooves loony)

I was sorted into Slytherin, which I think suits me very, very well. Was a bit reluctant at first like everyone else, but now I can't imagine being in any of the other three houses at all.

Favourite book? Order of the Phoenix, by far. I know that some people have said it was quite dull but I loved every single page, especially the ending. It really signifies the beginning of the "end" of the books, not only by putting the Ministry in the forefront of the ensuing war, but also stuff with the prophecy and also how it really shows for the first time that Harry isn't perfect; his flaws end up almost killing his friends at the end and it's certainly what lead to Sirius's death in the first place.

Least favourite has to be Azkaban. Just never really got it. But I'm still a massive, massive fan of the series and it's certainly one of those things which just stays with you for a long, long time. Honestly, words cannot encapsulate how much I love the series. It's a obsession, if anything.

Last edited:

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Yeah. I was always partial to Harry x Luna. For the life of me, Ginny is probably the most boring character ever and I never understood the hype about her. She just seemed so plain and boring. She could have easily been replaced by any other female character.

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
I honestly cannot see hermione and Harry together, there more like brother and sisters, in fact I had hoped he would have made a bigger move on Cho since she was on the rebound at the time. I was sorted into slytherin -_-

Lorde

I never even considered Harry x Luna to be honest. I mean Luna only appeared in the last three books whereas Hermione and Ginny were there from the start. I may not like that Harry ended up with Ginny, but I'd prefer that over Harry x Luna any day of the week tbh. Not that I hate Luna, quite the opposite. I liked her a lot, but I never thought she and Harry had anything in common aside from the fact that they both lost relatives and could see Thestrals. Besides, Harry usually acted like Luna was a weirdo and he seemed to humor her more often than not.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
I never even considered Harry x Luna to be honest. I mean Luna only appeared in the last three books whereas Hermione and Ginny were there from the start. I may not like that Harry ended up with Ginny, but I'd prefer that over Harry x Luna any day of the week tbh. Not that I hate Luna, quite the opposite. I liked her a lot, but I never thought she and Harry had anything in common aside from the fact that they both lost relatives and could see Thestrals. Besides, Harry usually acted like Luna was a weirdo and he seemed to humor her more often than not.

I feel the same way; is it confirmed that Luna ended up marrying Neville?

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
I feel the same way; is it confirmed that Luna ended up marrying Neville?

I'm pretty sure Neville ended up with Hannah Abbot but I'll have to look it up.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Yes, Neville ended up with Hannah Abbott, and Luna with Rolf Scamander. Sorry, Lovebottom shippers.

First he liked Cho for some inexplicable reason, then he ran to Ginny and completely ignored Hermione who was always there for him. Poor Hermione had to settle for Ron instead which didn't quite satisfy me. *Goes and writes Harry x Hermione fan fiction to release her fury*

I don't think this is accurate. First off, I think the Cho relationship was the most realistically written one in the series, one based almost solely on physical attraction, before realizing they had core differences that kind of ruined any shot of having a salvageable relationship. Sounds like teenagers to me! Also, 'poor Hermione' didn't SETTLE for Ron, she wanted him and never Harry, at any point. I blame the movies, and the Harmione shipping screenwriter Steve Kloves.

My favorite book is a tossup between PoA and OotP. The third book introduces my favorite characters Remus, Sirius, and my favorite plotline in the series, that of the Marauders. OotP has the most juicy expansion of the Wizarding World, which is just the most amazing place. It also contains my favorite chapter in the series, the Lost Prophecy.

I actually think the most well-made movie was the sixth one, although the third was the best cinematically.

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
Yeah they could have done a lot better with the love interest for each main character, but i guess JK had a reason for the way they turned out. another movie I thought was well put together was the seventh part 1 one as it gave in depth look at the bond the three actually had.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I'm not particularly a fan of the films, but strangely it's the films themselves which have provided some of my fondest and best memories. I used to watch them a lot when I was younger, specifically the first two, and I always felt very... sad in a way at the end of Philosopher's Stone, when Hagrid gives Harry the photo album of his parents and as the train pulls away, the camera pans out with the music, "Leaving Hogwarts" playing in the background. It's always been a very vivid memory, so when I went to see Deathly Hallows Part 2, not only to my surprise was the film actually stunningly good in comparison to the previous disappointing installments, but they reused the music from the end of the first film in the epilogue section, which of course resulted in quite an... emotional reaction on my part. It wasn't only nostalgia, but a bookend to what had probably been the very few highlights of my childhood; the fact that the world in which I had practically lived in had now properly ended for good was something which admittedly was quite difficult to accept at first. I don't think I've ever felt such a weird mix of euphoria, nostalgia and sadness at the same time. Now I can't watch the first or the last film at all because I just get really emotional, which is stupid, really.

But who cares. Even though the track is called "Leaving Hogwarts", I don't think anyone ever really truly leaves Hogwarts, do they? Nor does it leave them.

Jesus christ, I'm getting gushy. I'll stop now, this is way too out of my comfort zone for my liking.

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

Yeah. I was always partial to Harry x Luna. For the life of me, Ginny is probably the most boring character ever and I never understood the hype about her. She just seemed so plain and boring. She could have easily been replaced by any other female character.

I always thought Harry and Hermione, as she was always there by his side, or Harry and Luna, as she was the perfect person for him to meet and talk to after loosing Sirius.

I don't think that Ginny was particularly plain and boring, she just didn't fit in with the other main child characters in the story - Harry was a lonely and neglected orphan searching for his place in the world, never quite fitting in due to people's high expectations of him, Ron was a boy who lacked self confidence, living in the shadow of his many older brothers, born to parents who were trying really hard to have a daughter, Hermione was slightly bossy bookworm who struggled to make friends, Neville was a boy with much of a sense of self worth who never seemed to do anything right, and Luna was an odd girl coping with the loss of her mother and the slow deterioration of her father while facing bullies on a daily basis.
Add into that Ginny, the bright, sporty, multi-talented girl who all the boys like and who, in Harry and Ron's own words, was entirely too popular for her own good. That makes her the cliched dream girl, and a character like that just doesn't fit with the rest. I always felt she was the perfect example of a Mary-Sue type character.

xDWarrior

The Order of the Phoenix, that book was so dull and Harry became an unlikeable character, then again Harry was a boring character to begin with. Plus practically nothing of any value happens in the book until at the end when Sirius dies.

Book 5 was the starting point where I started to outgrow the the Harry Potter series.

They're all terrible as they suffer from bad pacing.

No offense but if you've grown out of Harry Potter why are you posting in this thread?