• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter general fan thread!

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I have read all 7 books in less than a month, and binged all the movies in one day. So, I love it. xD

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
True fans will always love and not outgrow Harry potter I mean who hasn't dreamt of waking up one day to find an owl telling you your going to hogwarts and your a wizard.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
No offense but if you've grown out of Harry Potter why are you posting in this thread?

You can out-grow something, but still have an opinion and memories of it :/. I'm the same way, so that question's also aimed at me as well, and that's my answer as to why I posted/am posting in this thread.

Oh yeah, took the Sorting and Patronus quizzes last night, and I got Hufflepuff and the Phoenix. (I was one point away from being Gryffindor, but meh.)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't think this is accurate. First off, I think the Cho relationship was the most realistically written one in the series, one based almost solely on physical attraction

Then it just proves that Harry is fickle lol. Seriously though, I actually thought the whole mess with Cho was Harry's fault completely. He was so tactless and oblivious to the fact that Cho wanted to talk about Cedric since his death affected her, and it was only natural for her to want to speak with Harry about it since he was there when he died. But Harry acted like Cedric's death wasn't important and that was obviously very offensive to Cho. Harry acted like Ron during that coffee shop chapter. It was very out of character of him imo.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Harry X Luna? Call me crazy, but at least for book five, I shipped Luna and Ron. Why? I don't know, I always felt Luna had a small little crush on Ron, at least in the book version of Order of the Phoenix. So I secretly shipped them. I never expected them to get together but the idea was kinda cute. Yes I know it's a weird ship, but I really don't do much shipping.

xDWarrior

You can out-grow something, but still have an opinion and memories of it :/. I'm the same way, so that question's also aimed at me as well, and that's my answer as to why I posted/am posting in this thread.

Oh yeah, took the Sorting and Patronus quizzes last night, and I got Hufflepuff and the Phoenix. (I was one point away from being Gryffindor, but meh.)

This is a fan thread though. If you've outgrown it you are no longer a fan, thus posting in this thread just to say you don't like it anymore is pretty lame.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
The Order of the Phoenix, that book was so dull and Harry became an unlikeable character, then again Harry was a boring character to begin with. Plus practically nothing of any value happens in the book until at the end when Sirius dies.

Book 5 was the starting point where I started to outgrow the the Harry Potter series.

They're all terrible as they suffer from bad pacing.

Why are you even on this thread in the first place? Rowling acknowledged Harry's anger in book 5, heck, the book itslef acknowledged it! Rowling explained it as her trying to make Harry more realistic. And the OotF was very important to the series, it set up Books 6 and 7 perfectly!

You can out-grow something, but still have an opinion and memories of it :/. I'm the same way, so that question's also aimed at me as well, and that's my answer as to why I posted/am posting in this thread.)

It's a fan thread though - you've outgrown it, you're not a fan, etc., etc.

Anyways, I got sorted into Ravenclaw/Slytherin, (chose Ravenclaw.) although I'd think Slytherin gets a bad rep for having bad characters, being pureblood and ambitious isn't a crime!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
This is a fan thread though. If you've outgrown it you are no longer a fan, thus posting in this thread just to say you don't like it anymore is pretty lame.

It's a fan thread though - you've outgrown it, you're not a fan, etc., etc.

Doesn't mean that I don't have a fondness for Harry Potter, though :/. I still admire the books, I still have knowledge of the Harry Potter universe (even if I have to look it up events and other things at times), I still respect the story and characters. I am just as welcome in this thread as anyone else who has a thing or two to say about Harry Potter, "fan thread" be damned.

Speaking of pairings, was it just me, or did Snape/Lily support shoot up after the sixth book? Like as far as I know, it may have existed prior to its publication, but it was a very tiny fanbase (I believe it was a bit noticeable in the fifth book, but I'm sure the fandom saw hints of it earlier).

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I always thought Harry and Hermione, as she was always there by his side, or Harry and Luna, as she was the perfect person for him to meet and talk to after loosing Sirius.

I don't think that Ginny was particularly plain and boring, she just didn't fit in with the other main child characters in the story - Harry was a lonely and neglected orphan searching for his place in the world, never quite fitting in due to people's high expectations of him, Ron was a boy who lacked self confidence, living in the shadow of his many older brothers, born to parents who were trying really hard to have a daughter, Hermione was slightly bossy bookworm who struggled to make friends, Neville was a boy with much of a sense of self worth who never seemed to do anything right, and Luna was an odd girl coping with the loss of her mother and the slow deterioration of her father while facing bullies on a daily basis.
Add into that Ginny, the bright, sporty, multi-talented girl who all the boys like and who, in Harry and Ron's own words, was entirely too popular for her own good. That makes her the cliched dream girl, and a character like that just doesn't fit with the rest. I always felt she was the perfect example of a Mary-Sue type character.

Summed that up perfectly. I guess that's why I never liked her too much. She just seemed like some Mary Sue character that was uber perfect. With a cast of diverse and deep character, she just seemed so boring and paper thin compared to the rest.

Lorde

Speaking of pairings, was it just me, or did Snape/Lily support shoot up after the sixth book? Like as far as I know, it may have existed prior to its publication, but it was a very tiny fanbase (I believe it was a bit noticeable in the fifth book, but I'm sure the fandom saw hints of it earlier).

I was browsing through one of the Harry Potter fan sites a few weeks ago and I noticed that a lot of the Snape x Lily theories started around the time that the sixth book was released too, which I found odd. I mean what clues from book 6 made people think it was possible? I personally never even thought that there was something between the two until it was revealed in Deathly Hallows. They seemed so different, plus Snape's "mudblood" comment in Order of the Phoenix made it appear to me that he was prejudice just like most Slytherins. Of course I was wrong since Snape ended up being like an anti-hero rather than a villain, but I never would have imagined that Snape actually loved Lily.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
I've taken a lot of different Sorting Hat quizzes and I always get sorted into Gryffindor. Good thing too because red is my color.

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
If you know about centaurs (it's possible most of the older readers who studied up on Greek mythology do), then you'll know what happens to Umbridge when they take her away. For those who don't, in mythology, centaurs are known to rape women. Which actually makes the one centaur professor a little creepy... now that I think about it. (Then again, he was exiled for something, and as Professor Dumbledore personally hired him, he was probably a good, intellectual centaur who knew how to control his urges.)

Rape? That's pretty bad 0_o I don't know much about it but it sounds bad . I don't really like sexual references in anything so I hope it is a coincidence. But I still don't feel sorry for umbridge LOL. I don't want a shipping war here lol. I say lol too much lol lol lololtrololo. I really liked Harry's relationship with cho , it was so sweet! I dont really think hermione liked harry love-wise , but they're still best friends! Ginny is in the books a lot more than in the movies, so you really have to read the books to understand their relationship .

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
I really liked Harry's relationship with cho , it was so sweet! I dont really think hermione liked harry love-wise , but they're still best friends! Ginny is in the books a lot more than in the movies, so you really have to read the books to understand their relationship .

I hated the Harry/Cho fling. It was superficial and we all knew it wouldn't last. I think I like Harry with Ginny more and that is saying something. The only significant thing I can remember about Ginny from the books is that Harry saw her with Dean and it pissed him off. She didn't do much of anything, books or movies.

Aegon

Exciting!

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm all for returning to the world she created, even without the characters from the main novels. I haven't read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (only The Tales of Beedle the Bard in terms of spin-offs), so I don't know much about it.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Exciting!

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm all for returning to the world she created, even without the characters from the main novels. I haven't read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (only The Tales of Beedle the Bard in terms of spin-offs), so I don't know much about it.

Ehh, after reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard and not actually liking it, I'm a bit skeptical about having a movie, or at least a series of movies based off of how a book on magical creatures came to be. Then again, I just now found out the book was actually published, so I haven't read it either. But after being disappointed by the wizard world's take on fairy tales, as much as I like mythical creatures and I'm sure it's a fascinating read, I'm not sure if I'd like to watch such a thing.

I dunno, maybe with the right direction the movie could be amazing, but I can't really see it doing as well as the main Harry Potter series. Because unless "Harry Potter" is attached to it, only the fandom would catch on, and I don't think that's enough to garner a big audience. *shrugs* Also, it's interesting how comments are disabled for that particular article. Wonder why they did that.

Aegon

Ehh, after reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard and not actually liking it, I'm a bit skeptical about having a movie, or at least a series of movies based off of how a book on magical creatures came to be. Then again, I just now found out the book was actually published, so I haven't read it either. But after being disappointed by the wizard world's take on fairy tales, as much as I like mythical creatures and I'm sure it's a fascinating read, I'm not sure if I'd like to watch such a thing.

I dunno, maybe with the right direction the movie could be amazing, but I can't really see it doing as well as the main Harry Potter series. Because unless "Harry Potter" is attached to it, only the fandom would catch on, and I don't think that's enough to garner a big audience. *shrugs* Also, it's interesting how comments are disabled for that particular article. Wonder why they did that.
Yeah, I won't deny that I can see it being rather average, though it also has the potential to be thrilling. I hope it works.

Comments have been disabled on SFX for the past month or two, so it's nothing to do with the material of the article. :p

Lorde

Eww, I liked that spin-off book but I don't think it would make a good movie. It actually seems really random for them to cling to Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. I mean it's not even that well known to begin with; I don't even know anyone aside from myself in my whole town who even owns a copy of the book. And even if it's got Harry Potter in the title, I doubt the movie will be well-received.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Hmm... this seems like sort of an odd idea to turn into a film. I can't particularly see this doing well, despite the original book being an interesting read.

I would much have actually much preferred a film adaptation of Quidditch Through the Ages.

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

Summed that up perfectly. I guess that's why I never liked her too much. She just seemed like some Mary Sue character that was uber perfect. With a cast of diverse and deep character, she just seemed so boring and paper thin compared to the rest.

Even though I don't like Ginny, I see what Rowling was trying to do with her. At first she had a crush on him and blushed alot around him and was always quiet. Then she pulls herself together and acts as herself around him, and he notices, therefore giving the message out that "If you want someone to notice you, just be yourself."

Ginny is in the books a lot more than in the movies, so you really have to read the books to understand their relationship .

I've read the books half a dozen times over and I still don't get their relationship. It didn't help that Love Potions were properly introduced near the start of book six. That, coupled with the fact that Harry's fancying of Ginny came out of nowhere (IMO, at least) led me to go through go through my first reading of book 6 fully expecting it to be revealed that Harry was under a love potion. Then I found out that the weird raging-monster-in-his-chest thing was actually the way that Rowling had chosen to describe love.
To me, it always felt like she had spent a lot of time spouting that Harry's true power is love and then realised that for the most part he doesn't have a clue what love actually is, and so used a crowbar to wedge it in.
Also, he looks like his father and she looks like his mother, both of whom died when he was a baby. That's creepy.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Also, he looks like his father and she looks like his mother, both of whom died when he was a baby. That's creepy.

Isn't there a saying that states you end up marrying someone who's like one of your parents? I might be misstating it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is xD.

But yeah, I never really did understand Ginny and Harry's relationship either. I knew he was developing a crush toward her at least in the fifth book (might've been earlier), but for whatever reason I dunno. I do remember that Ron was very weirded out by it, though. Probably because they were best friends, he wasn't as overprotective of Ginny when it came to Harry unlike other boys she was dating with (like the aforementioned Dean, completely forgot about him xD).

I just remembered that in the books, I do recall seeing a hint of Ron having a crush on Hermione in the fourth book when she was going out with Viktor Krum. It was most noticeable with the Yule Ball chapter, though it was covered up with the infatuation with Fleur, so... yeah.