• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter general fan thread!

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
I agree, I don't think anywhere before the 5th book did Harry and Ginny ever start to de olp feelings and this throwing us off that they would end up together though as being the chosen one I'm surprised there weren't more girls competing for him imo lol

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I agree, I don't think anywhere before the 5th book did Harry and Ginny ever start to de olp feelings and this throwing us off that they would end up together though as being the chosen one I'm surprised there weren't more girls competing for him imo lol

I think for the first few books there were girls infatuated with Harry (a couple of them may have still crushed on him throughout the story), but I'm sure by the time Harry got older and developed an actual reputation for himself, those kinds of infatuations died off. Even then, if I remember correctly, Harry either did speak out about it in some form or another, or he turned down a lot of girls. He may be a celebrity in the wizard world, but I do remember seeing less and less of his "The Boy Who Lived" title being used as he got older.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought it was funny that Harry was super famous when he first arrived at Hogwarts, but quickly became less and less popular. I mean even in the first book there was a time when a lot of people disliked him after he, Hermione and Neville lost a bunch of Gryffindor points, and if I remember correctly it wasn't just the Gryffindors who were mad; even the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were upset because they wanted to see Slytherin dethroned. Then there was the Heir of Slytherin stuff in book two, the Triwizard Tournament in book four, and a bunch of other events that negatively impacted Harry's life at Hogwarts and it seemed like Harry lost his celebrity status quite quickly.

I thought it was funny that Harry was super famous when he first arrived at Hogwarts, but quickly became less and less popular. I mean even in the first book there was a time when a lot of people disliked him after he, Hermione and Neville lost a bunch of Gryffindor points, and if I remember correctly it wasn't just the Gryffindors who were mad; even the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were upset because they wanted to see Slytherin dethroned. Then there was the Heir of Slytherin stuff in book two, the Triwizard Tournament in book four, and a bunch of other events that negatively impacted Harry's life at Hogwarts and it seemed like Harry lost his celebrity status quite quickly.

It all came after the events of book 5 when everyone now knew him as the "THe Chosen one". Read tthe tryouts chapter in book 6, alot of students wanted to be on the Quiddtich team since Harry was captain.

Sprinter1988

Isn't there a saying that states you end up marrying someone who's like one of your parents? I might be misstating it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is xD.

But yeah, I never really did understand Ginny and Harry's relationship either. I knew he was developing a crush toward her at least in the fifth book (might've been earlier), but for whatever reason I dunno. I do remember that Ron was very weirded out by it, though. Probably because they were best friends, he wasn't as overprotective of Ginny when it came to Harry unlike other boys she was dating with (like the aforementioned Dean, completely forgot about him xD).

I just remembered that in the books, I do recall seeing a hint of Ron having a crush on Hermione in the fourth book when she was going out with Viktor Krum. It was most noticeable with the Yule Ball chapter, though it was covered up with the infatuation with Fleur, so... yeah.

I think that the parent thing might be more personality than looks, but then Harry couldn't choose someone like his mum as he never knew her, and it doesn't really work in the same way when you're told about it.

I never noticed a developing crush towards her in the fifth book. They could talk to each other by then, but that's about it.

Yeah, Ron did have a little crush on Hermione in the fourth book, though it's beyond me why she returned his feelings. I know that opposites can attract, but they really are just too different IMO.

To be honest, I think that the first four books are my favourites, the fifth one I am pretty much indifferent to (though I can't read it without getting very angry on Harry's part as literally everyone lets him down multiple times and seemingly just expect him to be okay with it), the sixth and seventh, I just don't know. In those ones it seemed like all the progression the characters had made, Harry and Hermione in particular, just ground to a halt.

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
Yeah, plus the fact he waa alwats busyvtrting to stop some horrible event from happening so girls were out of the question usually lol I wish they would have had more quidditch matches throughout the later books because it was a really cool sport you could follow and what not.

Lorde

Yeah, plus the fact he waa alwats busyvtrting to stop some horrible event from happening so girls were out of the question usually lol I wish they would have had more quidditch matches throughout the later books because it was a really cool sport you could follow and what not.

I know Quidditch was supposed to be some innovative, creative thing on Rowling's part, but I hated it. I just found all the matches to be the same/boring. Probably because I don't care about sports in general lol. I'm glad Rowling stopped focusing on Quidditch matches as the series progressed.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Quidditch had its moments of greatness and dullness. It felt its freshest in the first book, honestly, if only because it was new to us the first time through, then it did get dull reading about it. (At least we only had one chapter dedicated to it throughout the entire series, except for technically the Quidditch World Cup in the fourth book.) But it's a nice way to look into the wizard world in way of sports (though I wish we saw other wizard sports). I enjoyed the snarky/wandering comments from Lee Jordon. It's a shame we didn't get that in the movies.

Speaking of stuff that wasn't in the movies, they didn't have de-gnoming in the second movie :(. I enjoyed that in the book, I thought it was funny.

O man I love the HP series! I own all the books and I used to own some of the movies but I lost the Dvds. But yeah I used to go to the midnight release for some of the books and I remember waiting in line eagerly just to be the first one in my town to have a copy of the newest HP book. Good times.

Sprinter1988

I know Quidditch was supposed to be some innovative, creative thing on Rowling's part, but I hated it. I just found all the matches to be the same/boring. Probably because I don't care about sports in general lol. I'm glad Rowling stopped focusing on Quidditch matches as the series progressed.

Quidditch seemed great to me at first, but recently I realised that all positions apart from the seeker are pretty much redundant. The game doesn't end until one seeker catches the snitch, which is worth 150 points. That means that your team can be fourteen goals ahead and still loose in the end. (And let's face it, if your team is loosing by fourteen goals, your team really doesn't deserve to win!) Except in extreme circumstances, like the World Cup in the books, the seeker who catches the snitch wins the game. No one else is important, except maybe the beaters because they can knock the other team's seeker off of their broom.

I read recently that Rowling admitted that she created the rules for Quidditch after an arguement with her then boyfriend, and created the position of seeker and their score for catching the snitch purely because she felt that such a disproportionate number of points would frustrate men.
Source: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Quidditch#Behind_the_scenes

One of the biggest annoyances for me in the seires was how much time was taken up by Quidditch in the sixth book. Harry knows by then that the fate of the world is in his hands, Dumbledore is giving him lessons on Voldemort's past and has asked him to get a memory from Slughorn, and yet Harry spents forty percent of his time worrying about Quidditch (the rest of the time is spent worrying about Voldemort and pining over Ginny).

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
One of the biggest annoyances for me in the seires was how much time was taken up by Quidditch in the sixth book. Harry knows by then that the fate of the world is in his hands, Dumbledore is giving him lessons on Voldemort's past and has asked him to get a memory from Slughorn, and yet Harry spents forty percent of his time worrying about Quidditch (the rest of the time is spent worrying about Voldemort and pining over Ginny).

(I don't remember a lot of Quidditch in the sixth book xD.)

Well, Harry was sixteen in that book (personally, Harry's angst in the fifth book was more annoying, as justifiable as it is considering what happened in Goblet of Fire). He probably didn't really think how extremely serious everything was until he got hit with reality's bricks at the end. He was a teenager who fretted over his own life and what was going on with it, and not so much about what was going on in the outside world. I'm sure the other characters knew of this and were rather apprehensive with Harry for not taking it all seriously, especially after the events of Goblet of Fire. Though it's possible Harry was still suffering from the trauma of Goblet of Fire, so he needed another way to escape, and next to Hogwarts, he loves Quidditch. So... he plays Qudditch for temporary happiness.

My personal guess, anyway.

Lorde

O man I love the HP series! I own all the books and I used to own some of the movies but I lost the Dvds. But yeah I used to go to the midnight release for some of the books and I remember waiting in line eagerly just to be the first one in my town to have a copy of the newest HP book. Good times.

I went to the Deathly Hallows midnight release at my local Barnes & Noble bookstore. I thought it would be a fun experience but all we did was wait in line outside. It's funny though because my mom went to Walmart the following morning and she told me that they had the book in stock already. So I could've saved myself the trouble of standing in line all night if I had waited until the morning to get the book. But I guess it was still worth it since I got to read the first couple of chapters that night.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Quidditch seemed great to me at first, but recently I realised that all positions apart from the seeker are pretty much redundant. The game doesn't end until one seeker catches the snitch, which is worth 150 points. That means that your team can be fourteen goals ahead and still loose in the end. (And let's face it, if your team is loosing by fourteen goals, your team really doesn't deserve to win!) Except in extreme circumstances, like the World Cup in the books, the seeker who catches the snitch wins the game. No one else is important, except maybe the beaters because they can knock the other team's seeker off of their broom.

That's why all the other positions are important. If you have a good Keeper that can stop the opposite team from scoring and your Chasers are top notch, then you should be able to either keep the score even, or completely demolish them and keep them from winning, even with a Snitch catch. This is coming from a guy who played Muggle Quidditch in college. All positions are equally important.

Sprinter1988

(I don't remember a lot of Quidditch in the sixth book xD.)

Well, Harry was sixteen in that book (personally, Harry's angst in the fifth book was more annoying, as justifiable as it is considering what happened in Goblet of Fire). He probably didn't really think how extremely serious everything was until he got hit with reality's bricks at the end. He was a teenager who fretted over his own life and what was going on with it, and not so much about what was going on in the outside world. I'm sure the other characters knew of this and were rather apprehensive with Harry for not taking it all seriously, especially after the events of Goblet of Fire. Though it's possible Harry was still suffering from the trauma of Goblet of Fire, so he needed another way to escape, and next to Hogwarts, he loves Quidditch. So... he plays Qudditch for temporary happiness.

My personal guess, anyway.

Maybe. It still seems strange though. If I had a some mad bloke and his army of sychophants out to get me, I'd be training all the time to make sure I didn't get killed. Harry doesn't get any extra training in defence or in duelling. He doesn't even continue the D.A, another thing that he actually enjoyed as he felt like he was making a difference and maybe giving his friends a fighting chance. It's a strange thing that Harry facd of one of the biggest Dark Lords ever with only six years' worth the the standard Hogwarts curriculum for Defence Against the Dark Arts under his belt (and even that's debateable after Quirrel, Lockhart and Umbridge were done with the course). In fact, most of the spells Harry ever uses in battle are ones that Harry and Hermione chose for him to learn during the Tri-Wizard Tournement.

That's why all the other positions are important. If you have a good Keeper that can stop the opposite team from scoring and your Chasers are top notch, then you should be able to either keep the score even, or completely demolish them and keep them from winning, even with a Snitch catch. This is coming from a guy who played Muggle Quidditch in college. All positions are equally important.

Maybe, but it sort of undermines the whole "team" aspect of it all, don't you think? Look at the Quidditch World Cup. Bulgaria faced Ireland in the final and their chasers and keeper were so bad that even with Krum catching the snitch they still lost. Has to make you wonder how much of their getting to the final was down to Krum carrying the team to victory all the time.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Maybe, but it sort of undermines the whole "team" aspect of it all, don't you think? Look at the Quidditch World Cup. Bulgaria faced Ireland in the final and their chasers and keeper were so bad that even with Krum catching the snitch they still lost. Has to make you wonder how much of their getting to the final was down to Krum carrying the team to victory all the time.

In a way yes. But I think the reason that it is worth so many points is because of how difficult it is to catch. You're looking for a golf ball sized object that moves faster than all hell. Not only that but you have to worry about Bludgers coming for your head. So if your Beaters can work in synch with your Seeker and don't let the other Seeker catch the Snitch, even if your Chasers and Keeper are decent you can still win as opposed to a onesided loss against a team with amazing Chasers and an outstanding Keeper. Sort of levels the field of both teams I suppose.

Lorde

Maybe. It still seems strange though. If I had a some mad bloke and his army of sychophants out to get me, I'd be training all the time to make sure I didn't get killed. Harry doesn't get any extra training in defence or in duelling. He doesn't even continue the D.A, another thing that he actually enjoyed as he felt like he was making a difference and maybe giving his friends a fighting chance. It's a strange thing that Harry facd of one of the biggest Dark Lords ever with only six years' worth the the standard Hogwarts curriculum for Defence Against the Dark Arts under his belt (and even that's debateable after Quirrel, Lockhart and Umbridge were done with the course). In fact, most of the spells Harry ever uses in battle are ones that Harry and Hermione chose for him to learn during the Tri-Wizard Tournement.

He beat Voldemort with deus ex machina, which was disappointing since I expected them to have a real duel. I was just disappointed that Harry didn't learn any advanced magic. Like you said, he mostly used the spells he learned for the Triwizard Tournament during the last three books and he became predictable. It's like he didn't advance any from that point and it was one of my biggest problems with the second half of the series. And Harry's angst was actually entertaining in book five imo. I actually laughed a few times when he would explode and rant about how terrible his life was. He was so dramatic about it, but at least Rowling addressed his growing arrogance. :p

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
He beat Voldemort with deus ex machina, which was disappointing since I expected them to have a real duel.

Not really when you think about the Elder Wand and how it works. Voldemort had the Elder Wand when he wasn't the true master, and because the Wand recognized its master, when Voldemort tried to use the Killing Curse, it backfired on him. Though yeah, I wish the duel went on longer, but it's like Voldemort was addicted to the Killing Curse due to how easy it is to just point the wand at someone and chant the spell and that there's really no countercurse. So obviously, Voldemort was going to use his signature spell to try and shorten the duel.

And Harry's angst was actually entertaining in book five imo. I actually laughed a few times when he would explode and rant about how terrible his life was. He was so dramatic about it, but at least Rowling addressed his growing arrogance. :p

I always felt it was rather jarring to suddenly read dialogue in all-caps, even though it appeared to have been the norm since the first book. When it came to the all-caps, what I thought was unintentionally hilarious was in the first book when Harry had that nightmare about the Forbidden Forest or something, and he was screaming (paraphrased): "AAAAAAARRRRRGHHH--NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Took up like an entire line or something, I couldn't take it seriously. (Didn't help I had no idea what was really going on, anyway.)

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
I just saw the half blood prince movie yesterday! I loved it and felt really bad for hermione ): she loves Ron . I think Luna deserves more love . I really like her character

RogueLapras

Water Gym Leader
I just wanted to respond to this thread and say I love the Harry Potter series. I haven't read too many books, but the HP books was a series I don't regret reading. I loved the setting, story, the magic, but most of all the characters. I hated that a lot of the secondary characters died, but I understand why. The 3 main characters are all great, but Hermione is my favorite character.

I recently read that there is going to be another movie based in the HP universe. Idk for sure if that rumor is true, but I am hoping so.