• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter general fan thread!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think the new HP movie will flop. There just isn't much hype for the movie at the moment and I personally have no plans to watch it. It just seems like they're milking the franchise for all it's worth and that will probably cause more harm than good. I wouldn't have minded a Tales of Beedle the Bard movie though. That would have been interesting.

Sprinter1988

I think the new HP movie will flop. There just isn't much hype for the movie at the moment and I personally have no plans to watch it. It just seems like they're milking the franchise for all it's worth and that will probably cause more harm than good. I wouldn't have minded a Tales of Beedle the Bard movie though. That would have been interesting.

I don't know - the simple fact that it is even remotely related to the HP universe will ensure that the fans flock to see it, or the first at least (I believe it's going to be a series now, but don't quote me on that!)
Personally I don't see how following Newt Scamander around as he writes his book will be all that interesting. Now, if it were done in the style of a nature documentary with Luna narrating, there you have something interesting.

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
anyone hear about the new harry potter movie thats in the works. It takes place like 70 years before harry's birth or something like that. I'm excited.

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
anyone hear about the new harry potter movie thats in the works. It takes place like 70 years before harry's birth or something like that. I'm excited.

Haven't heard about that, but if it is happening then I would be excited to see it!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard

What the hell would it be about? Dumbledore?

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
@ shadow lucario honestly, i think if they did do a dumdledoor side thing, it would be pretty cool. i could see it almost as a syfy original mini. that could be just me.

am i the only one that wants one of the new movies to be based on Hogwarts: A History?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
am i the only one that wants one of the new movies to be based on Hogwarts: A History?

Well maybe not by itself, but as we only ever got word-of-mouth about who the founders are and their roles in Hogwarts, something about them alone would be interesting to see. Especially since I don't believe we ever got the full story behind Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin as the two used to be friends. (Yeah, I'm sure it was because the two had very different mindsets, but there must've been more to it.) I always wondered if we were ever going to see them as spirits or something, but it never really happened, particularly with Godric Gryffindor. Though the other two deserve their share in the spotlight as well.

WildHennaCharizard

He beat Voldemort with deus ex machina, which was disappointing since I expected them to have a real duel. I was just disappointed that Harry didn't learn any advanced magic. Like you said, he mostly used the spells he learned for the Triwizard Tournament during the last three books and he became predictable. It's like he didn't advance any from that point and it was one of my biggest problems with the second half of the series. And Harry's angst was actually entertaining in book five imo. I actually laughed a few times when he would explode and rant about how terrible his life was. He was so dramatic about it, but at least Rowling addressed his growing arrogance. :p

In my opinion the whole book was Harry fighting Voldamort. Think about about it Harry had to find and destroy the Hourcruxs that housed parts of Voldy's soul. In each one there where tricks and spells that tried to prevent them form doing so. After all the Hourcruxs where destroyed only than could Voldamort's mortal body be finally killed. It was like Voldamort was a Hydra and Harry had to cut of the heads first before than killing the body.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
I think Luna deserves more love . I really like her character

This. I totally agree with this. Initially my favourite was Hermione, but then Luna was introduced in book 5... I really wish she had been a part of the "main group" after that, especially at the end during the Deathly Hallows hunt. But no, instead they handed her the distress ball. What I find really strange is how her father actually tried to turn Harry and friends in just to get Luna back. Given how cuckoo he is himself, I wouldn't have thought he would take such drastic measures as that. He was still a lunatic... but in a bad way.

My other favourite characters are Dobby, Sirius, Severus, and (oddly enough) Bellatrix. The former is just too lovable to resist. And then he has his heroic moment in book 7... and that's the end of him. Sirius and Severus both receive credit for a blend of interesting yet dark backstory and nobility and willpower in the face of it. Plus I love how despite how dark and serious they both are, they ultimately act out of love. I was really upset when both of them were killed of, thus...

And as for Bellatrix, I always have a thing for characters who are evil and twisted in a cool way, especially if they are incredibly sadistic and equally hate-worthy as they are coolness-worthy. Especially if said character is female, for some reason. Bellatrix satisfies all of these criteria, especially with her love of using the Cruciatus Curse (which I believe is way more evil than the Killing Curse as it actually causes suffering rather than just... killing someone). In a way, I believe she was more evil than Voldemort, with all the bad things she did to characters such as Neville's grandparents and especially Sirius. So unlike the others, I actually cheered when she died. Especially in the movie, because Mrs. Weasley cussing her out beforehand made it all the more epic.

Truly, the reason why I enjoyed the story so much wasn't because of Harry himself (he was kind of meh as a character to me, not to mention a major Gary Stu), but because of the interesting characters around him and (even moreso) the world it takes place in, the ideas and concepts and everything. If only a school like Hogwarts existed in real life...
Actually, the Grey School of Wizardry is pretty darn similar, or at least the closest real-world equivalent, but still not the same - no actual flying broomsticks or hippogriff rides, or even the same type of spells, sadly.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I remember when the fifth book came out that my mom (correctly in hindsight) predicted the house elves would have a role in the final battle (the house elves were her favorite in the books), if not being the key to victory. I unfortunately don't remember what it was she said about them, but she mentioned how the house elves do have power that most of us may have overlooked. She personally told me and a few other of her acquaintances about it, though they apparently pretend that she never said anything even though she was all "I told you" for a little bit afterwards.

However, I can back this up a bit by pointing out this little essay someone made about the house elves and their roles in the final book. In particular, it points out Kreacher and Dobby and how they progressed into their final characterizations for Deathly Hallows. Very interesting insight, if I do say so myself.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
In my opinion the whole book was Harry fighting Voldamort. Think about about it Harry had to find and destroy the Hourcruxs that housed parts of Voldy's soul. In each one there where tricks and spells that tried to prevent them form doing so. After all the Hourcruxs where destroyed only than could Voldamort's mortal body be finally killed. It was like Voldamort was a Hydra and Harry had to cut of the heads first before than killing the body.

I personally didn't think the enchantments that Voldemort put in place to protect his Horcruxes were that impressive; the only exception being the cave where Slytherin's locket was hidden which was difficult to get into since it was well-hidden, then there was the lake full of Inferi, and then the potion that had to be drunk in order to retrieve the locket. Those were impressive enchantments but Hufflepuff's cup wasn't that well protected imo. The vault where it was hidden could have easily been broken into by a goblin so if one of them had learned about its location, they could've gotten in whenever they wanted. The spells that made the items inside the vault multiply and get hot were interesting, but not completely fool proof either. And Marvolo's ring apparently had little to no protection which is why Voldemort was worried that Harry might have gotten the ring once he learned that Harry broke into Gringotts, and then Ravenclaw's diadem had virtually no protection itself.

Last edited:

Monek_OP

bernie2016
I remember when the fifth book came out that my mom (correctly in hindsight) predicted the house elves would have a role in the final battle (the house elves were her favorite in the books), if not being the key to victory. I unfortunately don't remember what it was she said about them, but she mentioned how the house elves do have power that most of us may have overlooked. She personally told me and a few other of her acquaintances about it, though they apparently pretend that she never said anything even though she was all "I told you" for a little bit afterwards.

However, I can back this up a bit by pointing out this little essay someone made about the house elves and their roles in the final book. In particular, it points out Kreacher and Dobby and how they progressed into their final characterizations for Deathly Hallows. Very interesting insight, if I do say so myself.

I felt as though just about everything Rowling introduced in a previous book played a part in [The] Deathly Hallows. I think this reflects just how much planning was put into the series.

I also remember how Luna x Neville was the only ship I've ever participated in... Even though they didn't end up together... : /