• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter VS Twilight - Now with commentary from Stephen King!

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
LeGuin's Annals of the Western Shore series is excellent (though some might find it a bit slow). Oh, and Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy is also really good. Hm... and there's also the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray. That one is compared to Twilight sometimes, but it's so much better. It's a pity that Twilight stole all the attention away from those books.

Putty

hatin'
god i ****ing hate twilight and all the ****ing prepubescent fatsos that indulge within the fake horrors that lurk around her piss writing god i could release my bowels right here right now and it'd be better than stephenie meyer's mediocrity.

harry potter wins HANDS DOWN

yeah i couldn't care less if you infracted me, hell you don't even need to send the PM, i know what's coming.

There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said, but basically, Harry Potter is superior in every way to Twilight. I only read the Twilight series because so many of my friends suggested it to me, and kept on telling me it would get better and that I'd like it. While it wasn't horrible there was nothing memorable about it to me. The story is mainly just romantic wish fulfillment; which is why it appeals so much to pre-teen/teenage girls. It has nothing to offer to any other demographic. Besides, it isn't written very well either. Some of the (serious) description she uses is hilarious, though.

No one is going to be topping Harry Potter for a long long time.
There's thousands of books that top Harry Potter. You act like it's the best series in the world.

ShinyCollector007

Trainin's Over! DIE!
Well I like Twighlight Series more, even thiugh it is ovverated, I never liked Harry Potters(No Offense to HP Fans).
I belive this thread will become a flam war one day.

Kipcha

There's thousands of books that top Harry Potter. You act like it's the best series in the world.

To some people, it is. Not everyone is into older literature and such (I'm afraid I'm assuming here, since I don't know which novels your talking about), myself being one of them. Just because someone thinks that, it is a matter of opinion, in which everyone is entitled to. And in popularity, I think it really is going to be a looooong time before anyone tops it.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
To some people, it is.
Only because some people don't read good books. Harry Potter is a slightly above average childrens series, it doesn't have anything else going for it.

Mewmie the shiny Mew

=Cute+Power+Smart
Harry Potter for sure. Twilight's good, yeah, but definitely not the best. It's kind of weird. I get really into it while reading it, but if I go only a day or two without, I lose interest and fast. But Harry Potter doesn't do that. I haven't read HP in a couple months (I need to read through again) but I still love it. I'm still mad at the stupid movie delay. EIGHT MONTHS!!! *tackles the people that made that stupid decision* Yet I still haven't seen the Twilight movie.

I couldn't care less about physical appearances, so it gets especially annoying when Bella drones on about Edward. I think that's really shallow of her. Edward truly loves her (though he stalks her and really just loves the scent of her blood, so forget the "real" part), but she only cares about his looks and sex. She's something that starts with a b and I've never said before.

In Harry Potter, Ginny and Harry are truly in love. Sure, Harry's famous, but there are plenty of people that hate him anyways, giving basis to Ginny's love. Harry's brave, smart, strong, and kind. Ginny has plenty of reason to love him. Harry loves Ginny because ... er... well, he just does. True love doesn't need reason, I guess. (Sorry, lame I know)

Twilight's plot is really not all that great. Looking back (I've read all four) I can't remember ANY plot really. It changes too much. I guess you could say that makes it more realistic because real life doesn't have plot, it just goes, but I think it's a lame attempt. There's VAMPIRES! How real can you make that seem?

Harry Potter has amazing plot and fits the smaller plots of each book into the greater story-line about perfectly. Very little that happens ISN'T sewn into the grand scheme of things. Everything is very in depth and meaningful.

In Twilight, the characters aren't very developed. Bella's stupid and whiny. Yeah, it sounds harsh, but it's true to me. She can't even seem to figure out who she loves. Edward leaves to protect her, so Bella cheats on him with Jacob (who she should have been with to begin with). Her past doesn't have anything at all. She was completely average and completely boring. Even the Cullen's don't have much of a past. The best is Carlisle because he's got such a strong will. The others are still half mystery.

With Harry Potter, almost all the characters have a pretty complete background (even Dean, his just wasn’t fit into the books). The have their likes, dislikes, family, everything. While Bella had gone to Jacob for no apparent reason, Harry chases after Cho for a while and his feelings are well described. Even when he changes to Ginny, the feelings are only more accurately portrayed. It even has him acting randomly on impulse, without meaning to do it (ie: his and Ginny’s first kiss). I have personal experience with that, so I know it’s true. It’s almost like a feeling of being drunk or possessed; you just do it without thinking.

I could go on a lot longer, but this is already taking up a full page in word. I don’t mean to offend anybody with this, these are merely my views. Don’t get me wrong, Twilight is my third favorite book series (how the HECK did Twilight get more sales than Inheritance?! Inheritance is just below HP in my list!) but that doesn’t mean it’s without its flaws. Even HP has them. Humans aren’t perfect, I just think JK Rowling’s better than Stephanie Meyers. And please, people, don’t come post if you haven’t read one of the series (or either for that matter). I’ve read the full series (Twilight, Inheritance, AND Twilight), so I believe I have a right to state my opinion on this matter. Please don’t ban me for this, I’m not flaming or anything. This is my opinion on the books, and I have the right to state them. Plus, this is what the thread was made, was it not? We are to have a creative discussion, or debate, on which book series we think is better. I hope I don’t, nor any one else stating their opinion as I have, gets in trouble because of this thread. Thank you for taking your time to read this.

;151;

The entire plot of the entire Twilight series is about as deep as a deflated kiddie pool. Why do you think they choe to cast that hunk as the main character? Sure the fifteen girls who had actualy known the book even existed and liked it before it was made into a movie would have gone to see it anyway even if they had cast Drew Carey as that part, but because they cast the guy they did they attracted many other drooling fangirls. I've seen the news, I know what's going on. Remember hearing about the book signing? Me too! If they wanted someone to play the role of a vampire with abnormal sexual orientstion they could have just cast Michael Jackson. He does have the right skin tone, after all.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
To some people, it is. Not everyone is into older literature and such (I'm afraid I'm assuming here, since I don't know which novels your talking about), myself being one of them. Just because someone thinks that, it is a matter of opinion, in which everyone is entitled to. And in popularity, I think it really is going to be a looooong time before anyone tops it.

No, it's not just opinion. The reason that great literature is great is that those books have powerful themes about human nature and deliver them in effective ways with motifs and symbols. Harry Potter is ok on that, but the messages in it have been done a thousand times before, and the delivery isn't as good as in truly great literature. The lines between good and evil are pretty clearly drawn in the series, even though the heroes do waver at points. The themes are pretty simple, in short.

They're not something on the level of say, The Scarlet Letter, where none of the characters have such clear roles. The line between good and evil is blurred there, and there are lots of good symbols that present that. Granted, a lot of people find it boring. I did, too, the first time I read it. But the problem is that Hawthorne uses a lot of wordplay. That can be good, it can also drag the book down, especially to modern readers. The story itself is very interesting, though.

Oh, and Virgil's Aeneid is also excellent. One of the best things about that epic poem is the way Virgil uses manipulation of the characters by the gods to ask the question of whether man controls his own actions, or whether fate plays a role. How literal is the role of the gods? Even better, he doesn't come out and ask that question, the reader has to discover it for herself. Even then, there isn't a clear answer. The best of literature asks questions instead of giving answers. They make the reader search for her own answer. Also, Virgil was a master of wordplay, although you kind of have to read it in its original Latin to see it. Motifs and symbols were wonderful there, too.

Harry Potter is mostly written to entertain. It does have its themes, but they're ones that we've seen many times, and they're not very deep. That's fine, but it doesn't make for truly great literature.

pkmnhippy

Banned
The entire plot of the entire Twilight series is about as deep as a deflated kiddie pool. Why do you think they choe to cast that hunk as the main character? Sure the fifteen girls who had actualy known the book even existed and liked it before it was made into a movie would have gone to see it anyway even if they had cast Drew Carey as that part, but because they cast the guy they did they attracted many other drooling fangirls. I've seen the news, I know what's going on. Remember hearing about the book signing? Me too! If they wanted someone to play the role of a vampire with abnormal sexual orientstion they could have just cast Michael Jackson. He does have the right skin tone, after all.

So true.

This book is poorly written within a few seconds just to entice horny little girls who want to feel grown up.
Anyway, she's a player if she only likes him because of his appearence, he's older than 100, and he is a diffrent species, falling in love with a Chobit is more healthy.

~Magic Thunderbolt~

No, it's not just opinion. The reason that great literature is great is that those books have powerful themes about human nature and deliver them in effective ways with motifs and symbols. Harry Potter is ok on that, but the messages in it have been done a thousand times before, and the delivery isn't as good as in truly great literature. The lines between good and evil are pretty clearly drawn in the series, even though the heroes do waver at points. The themes are pretty simple, in short.

They're not something on the level of say, The Scarlet Letter, where none of the characters have such clear roles. The line between good and evil is blurred there, and there are lots of good symbols that present that. Granted, a lot of people find it boring. I did, too, the first time I read it. But the problem is that Hawthorne uses a lot of wordplay. That can be good, it can also drag the book down, especially to modern readers. The story itself is very interesting, though.

Oh, and Virgil's Aeneid is also excellent. One of the best things about that epic poem is the way Virgil uses manipulation of the characters by the gods to ask the question of whether man controls his own actions, or whether fate plays a role. How literal is the role of the gods? Even better, he doesn't come out and ask that question, the reader has to discover it for herself. Even then, there isn't a clear answer. The best of literature asks questions instead of giving answers. They make the reader search for her own answer. Also, Virgil was a master of wordplay, although you kind of have to read it in its original Latin to see it. Motifs and symbols were wonderful there, too.

Harry Potter is mostly written to entertain. It does have its themes, but they're ones that we've seen many times, and they're not very deep. That's fine, but it doesn't make for truly great literature.

Did someone say HP was one of the greatest series? Still, it's better than Twilight. So Great Literature >> Harry Potter >> Twilight, IMO.

Penguinist Trainer

Harry Potter was an excellent series, though I don't know someone would think it was for 10 year olds. People die, Harry writes lines in his own blood, if anything, I think its for a more mature audience, but since Harry is growing in the books, I think its the readers that should be growing with him.

In regards to Twilight, I haven't read the book, I've only seen the movie. My major problems with it was the male lead. If you've played a teenage vampire for countless decades don't you think you would know how to talk to girls? I swear it was like watching a vampire go through puberty. Finally, if all vampires sparkle in the sunlight, how did they survive the Puritan era when anyone who was "different" was burned for witchcraft.

For any of you who dislike both series this could become a simple question of which is less horrible. After all, any time you have to choose between two things, it always comes down to a question of which one you dislike less instead of which you like more. So for all of you who hate both series, you just need to ask yourself: "Which one is less horrible?"

he was talking sales wise

and either way it is one of the best stories ever written that targeted towards children

1ee7leader

Harry Potter. Mainly becuse I've only read those books but the fans of Twilight I've seen are crazy and I don't want to read the books of Twilight.

Theif

The King of Darkness
Twilight the movie suck i dint like it neither the book.
Harry Potter has some awsome Movies but i nver read the book.

Treeconator11

Ultranumb
Twilight is more over inflated then if my brother tried to pump his bike tires. I never heard of the book before every girl in the school I go to had to rant about the movie, and the book, and how awesome it is. It's another Vampire movie, just cause it has that guy as the vampire dosen't make it god's work.

Harry Potter is a thousand times better than Twilight, though it ain't saying much. Harry has Character Depth, at least. I never liked Harry, but it's much better than Twilight.

SlipKnoT

They both suck. Twilight probably sucks more, but they are both awful books that have been made into awful movies. Trendy hipster shit.

god i ****ing hate twilight and all the ****ing prepubescent fatsos that indulge within the fake horrors that lurk around her piss writing god i could release my bowels right here right now and it'd be better than stephenie meyer's mediocrity.

harry potter wins HANDS DOWN

yeah i couldn't care less if you infracted me, hell you don't even need to send the PM, i know what's coming.
INTERNET BADASS HERE GUYS.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Even though I get my fantasy fill from Deltora Quest (Yeah laugh). If Twilight was worshipped as the godmos of Fantasy books by raving fans I would be interested in reading them, but they ARE worshipped as godmos of Fantasy books, so HP wins.

But as I stated, Deltora Quest is better.

Golde

Always Searching~
Let's see...

Harry Potter-Very good series, original, sorcery...

Twilight-Good, love, vampires, meh. 150 pages at least of meh.

Overall Harry Potter. It's, y'know, addicting.