• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter VS Twilight - Now with commentary from Stephen King!

Rommath

▲_▲
I've never read Twilight, and judging by what I've heard and what my sister says about, I don't plan to read it. I've got a few of the Harry Potter books and enjoyed them when I was younger, but I don't really read them that much now. I did like the plot in the Deathly Hallows book, but I wasn't overly crazy about it.

mew801

I personally don't know why people are comparing the two to each other.
Harry Potter is about witches and wizards who go a magic school and about how Voldemort is pretty much trying to murder Harry. Not saying anything is wrong with Harry Potter, i loved the series.

Then we have the Twilight Saga. So different to Harry Potter! It is about a girl and a vampire who fall in love, and have to try keep the girl safe from other vampires wanting to kill her, and turn her into a vampire. (Basic Outline of story)

Now, if I was going to chose, I would say The Twilight Saga, purely because the book just totally draws me in, and I am suited to that kind of book. Not saying that Harry Potter wasn't great, I just prefer Twilight.

No Twilight hasn't sold as many copies, but to be honest, I wouldn't be giving a 10 year old Twilight to read. Harry Potter appeals to a wider range of people, including adults, however, Twilight appeals to a less wide range of people, mainly consisting of pre-teen and teenage girls.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming

Both are immensely popular franchises in the fiction genre. They have been some of the most popular book-based franchises in the 2000's, and have gotten quite a few people more interested in fiction/fantasy and reading in general. When talking about the plots alone, it does seem a bit absurd to be comparing the two, but it isn't too insane to be comparing them when other parts of the franchises are taken into account.

Token

Harry Potter was the first book of it's type: .
What, you mean special kids in a super special awesome school? Hai2U Ender, X-Men, and so on.
Do you mean a protaganist who is overly wangsty, comes off as obnoxious to readers but a messiah to the characters? Once again, Ender.

eonmaster_457

I've read Twilight. (just reading them for fun, PS am a boy)

Anyway, there is nothing good or bad between the two. I don't get all this fuss. But I think the only reason Twilight became famous is because of the uncanny ability of girls to transmit stuff.

I am reading the Twilight series now. Nothing personal, but it's good that it came after Deathly Hallows; because if both appeared on shelves at the same time, I'd choose Potter.

Sure, they'll say I don't appreciate the mushy stuff. Well the fact is, I don't. I'm supposedly into it because of what I presumed to be vampire violence. Although, admittedly, it is a pretty good saga, but I don't think it's good enough for Potter.

PS: Of course, most people, who are into arguing for the sake of argument, will say Twilight is claiming to be better than Harry Potter (or next to it) because of the lines: "next best book to harry Potter" or something along those lines. That is advertising. If you don't make the product look good, who'll buy it?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Harry Potter is about witches and wizards who go a magic school and about how Voldemort is pretty much trying to murder Harry. Not saying anything is wrong with Harry Potter, i loved the series.

Then we have the Twilight Saga. So different to Harry Potter! It is about a girl and a vampire who fall in love, and have to try keep the girl safe from other vampires wanting to kill her, and turn her into a vampire. (Basic Outline of story)

Now, if I was going to chose, I would say The Twilight Saga, purely because the book just totally draws me in, and I am suited to that kind of book. Not saying that Harry Potter wasn't great, I just prefer Twilight.

No Twilight hasn't sold as many copies, but to be honest, I wouldn't be giving a 10 year old Twilight to read. Harry Potter appeals to a wider range of people, including adults, however, Twilight appeals to a less wide range of people, mainly consisting of pre-teen and teenage girls.
Again despite the fact that both are apples and oranges being compared books are one of the few entertainment medias that can be compared to each other easily as they all have similar bases. And Frankly Harry potter is just written better. Twilight is basically what soap opreas do to draw in viewers. Just pleasing fan girls without care for whether the execution works. Granted Harry tried to do the same towards the end sort of but it's more easily seen in twilight.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Oh **** forgot about that...........
Then there is Rowan of Rin, Keys to the kingdom, Deltora Quest, Narnia (Debatable), Redwall and others that are much better Preteen Fantasy novels that HP.

Last edited:

BattyCat

Owl Girl
Twilight kicks harry potter's *** any day, why can't JK Rowling admit that she ripped of Jill Murphy's Worst Witch Series? I mean who wants to read a book about a moaning, teenage, pubescent adolescent so called wizard called Harry Potter? When they can read a book about a passionate and brutal love story between a vampire and 17 year old girl! Twilight is the best, it will be immortalized among the best such as Anne Rice who of-course again, (its not hard) beats someone who plagiarized the idea of a school full of wizards. Twilight rules! enough said.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
Then there is Rowan of Rin, Keys to the kingdom, Deltora Quest, Narnia (Debatable) and others that are much better Preteen Fantasy novels that HP.
I'd shove Redwall into that good preteen fantasy bracket, though heck, I still enjoy the Redwall series at 17, a good yarn is always a good yarn.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

Twilight kicks harry potter's *** any day, why can't JK Rowling admit that she ripped of Jill Murphy's Worst Witch Series? I mean who wants to read a book about a moaning, teenage, pubescent adolescent so called wizard called Harry Potter? When they can read a book about a passionate and brutal love story between a vampire and 17 year old girl! Twilight is the best, it will be immortalized among the best such as Anne Rice who of-course again, (its not hard) beats someone who plagiarized the idea of a school full of wizards. Twilight rules! enough said.

Oh, yes, because vampire love stories are sooooooooooooooooo original.

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord

Your saying Twilight is original? Pft. There are tons of other books exactly the same as Twilight that came before it. Harry Potter isn't exactly unique either but if you think Twilight is something entirely new and perfect you need to take a more careful look around at the genre it's in.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

Search "erotic fiction" on google, and click on the "necrophilia" section. There you go, thousands of amateur vampire stories that are all on par with Stephenie Meyer's writing. I read bits of "The Host" at the bookstore, and to my chagrin, it's another story about "forbidden love". This time between a human and an alien. What's with SMeyer and bestiality/necrophilia/pedophilia?

She's almost as crazy as Tara Gilesbie, who wrote the worst fanfiction on the internet. At least Tara's story is a Harry Potter fanfiction, so it has a good plot overall. Twilight is basically:

1. oh hai im movin 2 forks even tho my mom sed i didnt hav 2 but who cars its a plot device 2 get me tharrr so yaaa!

2. ong im in high skewl now and ma daddy bought me a big red truck!!!! omg three guys asked me out but im soooo ordinary and ugly!!!!! omg im in da cafeteria and that guy with the amber hazel brown seraphic miraculous chagrin toned masculine godly eyes and the wavy golden gelly greasy godly chagrin seraphic amber hair is looking at me!!!!

3. edwards my biology partner! plot device numba 2, baby!!!

4. omg he doesnt like me 4 sum reason omg im gonna go slit ma wrists now cuz some random boy i only sat beside once doesn't like me!!!!!! but i have THEORIES!!!!!!!!!!

5. some dude's van out out of control omggg!!! omg yaay edward saved me whoo hoo!!!!! then he saves me frm bein raped and I tell him my THEORIES and then he tells me hes a vampire!

6. *Insert 300 pages about their relationshop here*

7. omg, like 400 pages later the plot actually starts! whoo hoo! but this guy wants 2 kill me wth!!! so i run away frm home and my dad actlly lets me 4 sum reason lol and i drive from Washington State all the way to Phoenix, Arizona in the space of about a paragraph!!!!

8. james says that he has my mother!!! omg!!! but it turns out its fake!!! hey didnt harry like fall for that trick in The Order of the Phoenix? but who cares im a mary sue and i can do w/e i want lol!

9. edward saves me and theres a huge battle while im unconscious, miraculously saving the author from writing an intense battle scene! whoo hoo! and even tho i only knew him for like three months i want him 2 turn me into a vampire and spend eternity with me! yaaay!

10. *insert three novels, a movie series, frantic fangirls, a guide book, and a cancelled spin-off book about Edward Cullen here*

And that's just the first book. New Moon is basically Bella slitting her wrists and crying because Edward left her, and Eclipse is of her and Edward's abusive relationship. I already posted my thoughts on Breaking Dawn.

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
Vampire love is overrated, needs more Murakami. Philosopher's Stone was awesome when I was 8, Deathly Hollows left me hangin at 15.

Consider this: Harry Potter is a completely unisex book which anyone of any age or gender can be caught enjoying without being ridiculed, while any boy caught even skimming through the Twilight books is going to be branded as a homo for the rest of his life.

Steffrox

de cold & de sorrow
harry potter ripped of worst witch? hm yeah if the worst witch wasn't an insipid little suckfest with a heroine who i wanted to punch it the face.

Harry Potter did something few series i've read do, it grew as it went on, and it got a bit dark. the worst witch is as dark as a bunny frolicing in the snow

Consider this: Harry Potter is a completely unisex book which anyone of any age or gender can be caught enjoying without being ridiculed, while any boy caught even skimming through the Twilight books is going to be branded as a homo for the rest of his life.
Uh, I don't think so. I've never seen that happen yet. Two, I've seen a lot of the "popular" kids at school make fun of people for liking Harry Potter.

Steffrox

de cold & de sorrow
yeah but Twilight is prodominately female fan base thats the point of the statement