1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter VS Twilight - Now with commentary from Stephen King!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Terra's Revenge, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Kipcha

Kipcha Well-Known Member

Alright, those 'popular' kids are going to find something to pick on, whether it's Harry Potter or clothing, because they are a bunch of prats that have nothing better to do with their time. And I have never seen anyone made fun of for reading Harry Potter, mostly because it would be like making fun of a rather large population of people. And what does the opinion of some people in school have to do with this anyways? We are talking about our personal opinions. You might as well bring up that a lot of people would make fun of anyone who is even vaguely interested in Pokemon.

And yes, any guy seen reading Twilight... Well, in schools, I don't think a large part of the student body would consider that person much of a guy anymore. Yes, brutal, but true. However, a guy can read Harry Potter without getting teased because as said many times before, anyone can read it.

2. Forever&Always

Forever&Always DanceInTheDark

Alright, Harry potter has been out for some 10 years, When twilight has been out for about 4 or 5? No Duh harry potter has more sales. Stephanie Meyer is actually, a better wrighter, in my eyes. Vampires are always more appealing then wizards. :\.

3. Kipcha

Kipcha Well-Known Member

But that isn't how book sales really work. For the most part, books sell the most when
    a. The book is first released (Usually the novels that continue the story, and not the first one since it needs time to build reputation)
    b. When a film is made

Twilight has had the same chances as Harry Potter in that area, and still isn't anywhere near close to Harry.

4. mew801

mew801 Well-Known Member

But you have to remember that Harry Potter appeals to a wider audience than Twilight. Not many kids under 12 have read Twilight, while I know 7 year olds reading Harry Potter, and so do adults, so yea Harry Potter has had more sales, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a better book. Not that I have anything against Harry Potter, I just prefer Twilight.

5. Forever&Always

Forever&Always DanceInTheDark

Though The twilight movie just came out over a month ago. One movie, When harry potter has 5 so far.

6. Tim the turtle

Tim the turtle Happy Mudkip

Sales are never, ever a good way of judging the quality of a piece of literature. Harry Potter has outsold Dune, Brave New World, Lord of Light, 1984, Paradise Lost ect. etc.

Are you honestly going to use sales to argue that Rowling is a better writer than Milton or Zelazny or Huxley? Of course not, to do so would be stupid in the intirety. Sales often represent nothing more than the size of the target audience and the exposure that the book has had in the media or public consciousness, very rarely is it an indication of quality.

7. Kipcha

Kipcha Well-Known Member

I wasn't using it to make an arguement that sales are a way to judge a book, purely pointing out a fact. A lot of the books I like nowadays are ones that not many people know about, and I only found by scrounging through a lot of shelves in Chapters. Like you said, books should not be based on popularity or sales.

8. Steffrox

Steffrox de cold & de sorrow

the thing is Rowling is not a better author than any of the classics, but her books appeal to a wider audience and they are good. A lot of people just want to read a good story and a lot of people find classic literature challenging. I love to read classic literature but the rest of my family do not. My mother is very intelligent but she prodiminately reads cacky chic-lit. some people have different tastes and Harry Potter is exceptional in that its a great story but it is not a challenging read. But i find Narnia so bloomin insipid and preachy, soz that was the only kids book that jumped to mind to compare potter too

9. BattyCat

BattyCat Owl Girl

I would like to respond with a clear message: Twilight rules, it already has an international fanbase BEFORE the film came out. Harry Potter probably didn't. Its a load of males in pointy hats- what could get more "homo" as someone put it than that? And what's wrong with homosexuals- nothing.
    Harry Potter fans will soon get old and die, taking this so called "fan base" with it. However as i may point out, Twilight is about vampires therefore immortal. Consequently the fan base will just grow and grow as the world forgets Harry Potter and his pointy hats!
    Another point, i thought this was a discussion between Twilight fans and Harry Potter fans, but all i can see is that it has been hijacked by the HP brigade! So swan off in your pointy hats and let someone who reads decent books such as TWILIGHT have a say!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  10. Theif

Theif The King of Darkness

U Sould have putted this in the debate forum whats better Twilight or Harry Potter?
    Or even make a poll for it.

11. BattyCat

BattyCat Owl Girl

Sorry, i shouldn't have used the word debate- but discussion. :)

12. Carlisle

Carlisle BAM

How bout not.

13. Paden

Paden OG swampert fan. <3

I'm going to quote someone called Inferno on a message board I go to:

14. Carlisle

Carlisle BAM

Whoever wrote that sounds like a whiny dumb f*ck. Look, Twilight is no work of art, but it is good to a degree. I reread Twilight last night, and I do think the writing is fine. It's not bad, it's not great. Seriously, it's similar to Harry Potter.

15. Theif

Theif The King of Darkness

Ok well a poll it would be better

16. The Red

The Red Well-Known Member

By my standards, Twilight is a literary joke. The messy plot is the pinnacle of cliché, and Bella's repetitive inner infatuation with Edward is the perfect blend of annoying and disturbing.

On another note, the quote from Inferno hit the nail dead-on.

Ultimately, every single aspect of Harry Potter is superior to Twilight. Both of them are far from perfect, but at the same time, both of them are on completely different literary levels.

17. Kipcha

Kipcha Well-Known Member

You, quite obviously, haven't read or watched Harry Potter at all, and I personally think that whomever hasn't read both series on here shouldn't really count. How can you compare something you know nothing about? Simple, you can't.

Harry Potter already had a very large fanbase before the movies, because I was already part of it. I remember going to a live reading by JK Rowling in Vancouver, and the tickets were sold out in two hours after release. Doesn't sound like an unknown to me.

The ONLY movie where there were pointed hats on the students were the first two, and that was merely because the director wanted kids to identify them for witches and wizards as it was a younger audience those films were directed to.

And what the heck is the point of the vampires are immortal comment? That makes no sense whatsoever. More and more people are becoming fans of the books, and the fanbase grows everyday. And whether you like it or not, I don't think Harry Potter will be totally forgotten, just because of the stir it caused. Do you know when 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' came out, for two weeks, in just Canada, it sold a copy every two seconds? Sounds like a large fanbase to me.

Maybe there are more HP fans then Twilight fans because... Oh, I dunno... Harry Potter is the better series?

I love both series. But what you posted is not at all a debate.

18. Tim the turtle

Tim the turtle Happy Mudkip

Bad troll, or thick as shit?

TAKING ALL BETS!!!

Not that I like Harry Potter or anything, but Jesus woman, get an education.

19. Kojinka

Kojinka An Inside Joke

I am not interested in stories like Twilight at all. I love the Harry Potter books. Though I was sad when one of my favorite characters was killed off.

20. Skiks

Skiks MUCH RESPECT

Despite this the post is pretty much twilight in a nutshell.
    You're joking right?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009