• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter VS Twilight - Now with commentary from Stephen King!

Ethan

Banned
Pokemon has a predominately male fanbase. Does that mean that every girl on this board will be branded a lesbian by her peers? By jove, it's a thirteen year old boy's wet dream!

Yes, I realize we aren't supposed to flame people, but fucking hell. Where to begin?

... So are we ignoring the fact that Potter had been out in America for a few years before the film came out? Are we ignoring the midnight launch parties for the books, and the movie?

Other than vampires that fucking SPARKLE? By the way, I love your next sentece, so incredibly, stupidly, hypocritical. Props.
Thats not quite how it works, kid. Parent's will have the kids read the books, and then their kids will read the books and so on. Are you honestly stupid enough to think that a book can only be popular for one generation? Religious texts, LOTOR, and many others say hi.

.....I....Just....NO....

In my six years of being on this forum, hell of my eleven years on the internet, this is the single stupidest fucking thing I have ever read. For fuck's sake, the idiocy of this statement has actually caused my eye to twitch, and given me a bloody cluster headache.

It hasn't been hijacked so much as there are more Pottards. Or, at the very least, their group is intelligent enough to be able to type up a reasonable argument.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you are quite possibly the single stupidest peice of shit who has ever been given a keyboard. Hell, you're worse than Moyer, whom I refuse to call an author. She is the cause of Twilight, much as HIV is the cause of AIDS, and that's what Twilight is, the AIDS of the literary world.

tl;dr: You are a complete dumbass, and should commit suicide as soon as fucking possible. Kaythanksbye.

Like lol i can flame 12 year olds on teh interwebz.

Seriously. Knock it off. >_>;

thunderblade12

People should learn to accept other peoples opinions. Jesus titty ****ing Christ on a ham sammich, people make up these childish generalizations about anyone who doesn't agree with their opinion now-a-days. If you're going to back up an opinion atleast give some sort of intelligent reasoning, blindly insulting everyone who opposes you makes you look stupid and makes people think to themselves "this guy isn't too bright, why should I listen to his opinion on anything?"

Not trying to sound elistist and I won't mention who in particular this is directed at to avoid conflict

Kid 1: Hi I like Twilight!
Kid 2: I hate you, you're a ***get for liking that. Go kill yourself.

Sounds ridiculous when its summed up doesn't it?

Last edited:

Miss_Pocket_Monster

People should learn to accept other peoples opinions. Jesus titty ****ing Christ on a ham sammich, people make up these childish generalizations about anyone who doesn't agree with their opinion now-a-days. If you're going to back up an opinion atleast give some sort of intelligent reasoning, blindly insulting everyone who opposes you makes you look stupid and makes people think to themselves "this guy isn't too bright, why should I listen to his opinion on anything?"

Not trying to sound elistist and I won't mention who in particular this is directed at to avoid conflict

Kid 1: Hi I like Twilight!
Kid 2: I hate you, you're a ***get for liking that. Go kill yourself.

Sounds ridiculous when its summed up doesn't it?

Quoted for truth. You win cookies :).

Seriously, the only proper way to argue opinions is to explain why you think the way you do. Ad hominem attacks are actually considered fallacious logic, and frankly, they are not cool. Just because somebody doesn't share your opinion on something doesn't make them stupid! It just means you disagree.

I may not like Twilight, for instance, but I wouldn't insult anyone on the board who does like it because they are all very nice, intelligent people and we just happen to disagree. I'll let them know *why* I disagree, but to insult their personal character is immature and rude. ;136;

Last edited:

thunderblade12

I actually like Twilight better than Harry Potter. Im not really a huge Twilight fan either but out of the two, I'd say Twilight.

Thats true though, Miss Pocket Monster, rather than supporting their opinion intelligently they'd rather try to terrorize people into changing their views through calling them names. Do they really think any ones confidence is really that low? Lol @ opinion terrorists

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I actually like Twilight better than Harry Potter. Im not really a huge Twilight fan either but out of the two, I'd say Twilight.

Thats true though, Miss Pocket Monster, rather than supporting their opinion intelligently they'd rather try to terrorize people into changing their views through calling them names. Do they really think any ones confidence is really that low? Lol @ opinion terrorists

The Red vs. Blue Special of "Internet vs Real life" is dead right when it comes to discussing these things.

seveguy

Lets list the pros and cons.

Twilight Pros
Easy reads, comprehensible
Abstract covers
Paints a picture

Harry Potter Pros
Epic plot
Memorable characters
Appeals to most people
Better movies
Balance between action, romance, drama, suspense
Well thought out

Twilight Cons
Doesn't appeal to most boys
New Moon
Movie that is usually disliked among people who haven't read the book
Too much dialogue, not enough action
Wooden characters
First book written in a mere three months

Harry Potter Cons
Some books are too long
Chamber of Secrets
Incomprehensible at parts
Dumbledore's orientation

Harry Potter wins this battle, but I really believe that A Series of Unfortunate Events slaughters Harry Potter.

Unfortunate Events Pros
Appeals to all ages
Humorous yet disturbing
Great way to introduce adult themes to children
Fun reads
Noticeable patterns found in each book
Comprehensible
Memorable villain
Builds your vocabulary

Unfortunate Events Cons
Terrible movie

So all in all, I believe that A Series of Unfortunate Events takes the cake, they were fun to read (I read most of them more then once). Does anyone else agree?

Kipcha

Lets list the pros and cons.
Harry Potter Cons
Dumbledore's orientation

What does Dumbledore being Gay have to do with the book at all? No one knew about it until JK released it one day, and everyone made a big deal about it, yet did it change his character any? No. I don't think a book should be slammed because it shows that it is okay to be homosexual. That you can still be a great person even though your sexual preferences differ from the larger part of the population.

seveguy

What does Dumbledore being Gay have to do with the book at all? No one knew about it until JK released it one day, and everyone made a big deal about it, yet did it change his character any? No. I don't think a book should be slammed because it shows that it is okay to be homosexual.

Well yeah but now I can't really enjoy reading the books because I always imagine Albus having a lisp. It bothers me, that's all. I hope his character isn't portrayed differently in the 6th movie.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
What does Dumbledore being Gay have to do with the book at all? No one knew about it until JK released it one day, and everyone made a big deal about it, yet did it change his character any? No. I don't think a book should be slammed because it shows that it is okay to be homosexual. That you can still be a great person even though your sexual preferences differ from the larger part of the population.

Yeah, but a lot of people felt that she did it just to make a statement, which makes for poor characterization.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Well yeah but now I can't really enjoy reading the books because I always imagine Albus having a lisp. It bothers me, that's all. I hope his character isn't portrayed differently in the 6th movie.

Yes, because being gay means you must have a lisp.

Michael Gambon camped it up on the set, but only when they stopped filming. That's about far as it will go. Rowling's a lovely little liberal and had to include the gay stereotype to, like Hakajin said, make a big statement and was put in almost as an afterthought. But since someone said, "Gee, that's nice, but she should have made it more obvious," she pleased nobody.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade

The only issue that I could see with it is that, you know, it was needless. It had no real bearing on canon and, as I recall, was announced after Dumbledore was ded. (There's a part of me that wants to scream "LOL PANDERING" to it, really.)

Steffrox

de cold & de sorrow
Seveguy u made some good points up until the "dumbledor's orientation" slur. Mature human beings in the uk have no problem with homosexuality. you really need to grow up and out of that and you'd be on the path to being a decent person. and don't give me all that America "freedom of speech" stuff, ya know just because some americans think they have the right to say whatever they feel like, it doesn't mean that they should

Dumbledor and Grindelward (or woteva he was called) was an interesting twist and it also helps make the wizarding world more realistic because there are all types of people in the world and there are all sorts of people who are wizards. Dumbledor being gay doesn't detract from him being a fantastic wizard. it just gives him heartache and secrets which is wat he needed to make him a more rounded character

Last edited:

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.

Wow. Go die plzkthx

Anyway, I've only posted once in this thread so forgive me if I'm starting a whole new topic, but I've just started reading the first Twilight book. From the very beginning, I can already see its appeal, although it doesn't really appeal much to me. On the other hand, there's absolutely no discernible appeal to male readers. The protagonist, being female, falling in love with a supposedly gorgeous male vampire, is pretty much the first nail in the coffin for a large male Twilight fanbase.

In regards to the whole vampire/werewolf thing, it's not that great. It's been done a million times before, like Harry Potter and magic. However, unlike Harry Potter and magic, Stephenie Meyer makes a really half-hearted effort to put a new spin on the mythos behind vampires/werewolves, other than making all of them extremely attractive and debunking a few selected myths (such vampires being weak to sunlight, sleeping in coffins, etc).

Personally? It's like nicotine. It's addicting to read even though it's really not that great. I'm probably going to end up reading the entire series and watching the movies, but hopefully I'll never go as far as the majority of Twilight fans out there... *shudder*

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Wow. Go die plzkthx

Anyway, I've only posted once in this thread so forgive me if I'm starting a whole new topic, but I've just started reading the first Twilight book. From the very beginning, I can already see its appeal, although it doesn't really appeal much to me. On the other hand, there's absolutely no discernible appeal to male readers. The protagonist, being female, falling in love with a supposedly gorgeous male vampire, is pretty much the first nail in the coffin for a large male Twilight fanbase.

In regards to the whole vampire/werewolf thing, it's not that great. It's been done a million times before, like Harry Potter and magic. However, unlike Harry Potter and magic, Stephenie Meyer makes a really half-hearted effort to put a new spin on the mythos behind vampires/werewolves, other than making all of them extremely attractive and debunking a few selected myths (such vampires being weak to sunlight, sleeping in coffins, etc).

Personally? It's like nicotine. It's addicting to read even though it's really not that great. I'm probably going to end up reading the entire series and watching the movies, but hopefully I'll never go as far as the majority of Twilight fans out there... *shudder*
That's my biggest gripe about some fans. Even if you like a book more you should still be able to see why one book is written better. I mean really it's not that hard to.

Token

Considering he is dead by the last chapter I can assure that he will be very differently portrayed at part of the movie.

DUMBLEDORE DYEZ? Dude, spoiler alert! This is almost as bad as that time some dick spoiled the ending to the bible for me!

Steffrox

de cold & de sorrow
Oh also Seveguy, series of unfortunate events is a good kids book, but it doesn't apeal to adults, my bro use to read it to me, to encourage him to read more, and it wasn't half as dark as u made out. its kid dark and thats fine and its good, but it isn't as widely appealing to audiences as Harry potter