• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter [warning, might contain spoilers]

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Going to see the movie next weekend with a good friend. I read an article in the Star Tribune pretty much bashing the movie, it was depressing.

Is it true that the majority of the movie is in the forest?

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
Going to see the movie next weekend with a good friend. I read an article in the Star Tribune pretty much bashing the movie, it was depressing.

Yes, a few good chunks of the movie do take place with the them in various forests/outdoorsy areas.
But honestly, anyone who's read the book would known that was coming from a mile away, and can you really fault the film makers for trying to stay true to the source material?

Last edited:

Araleon

Chill

Well yeah, this half of the book was mostly in the forest.

It's was so completely epic, that I'm going to see it again in an hour (I was at the midnight premier!).

It's the best movie since the first few, maybe better than them, not sure. It was so close to the book, it was almost word for word. I was so content. It was depressing, but this half was. Hedwig's death was well done. So was Dobby's.

And Fred, haha, he put a toothbrush in his ear-hole-thing!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yes, a few good chunks of the movie do take place with the them in various forests/outdoorsy areas.
But honestly, anyone who's read the book would known that was coming from a mile away, and can you really fault the film makers for trying to stay true to the source material?

I know I saw the forest scenes coming. I knew they'd be added to the film since most of book 7 is just Harry and his friends camping out in their tent in different forests and such. I actually like that those scenes were kept in the film since those forest scenes are some of the most interesting IMO. Seeing Harry and Ron's friendship hit choppy waters was actually the thing I was looking forward to seeing the most in part one of the film :]

ForeverFlame

I liked this film. It was more character-based than the past six, so I didn't mind the camping scenes as much as I did in the book.

My god I cannot wait for the new movie to come out here, if only to see how much of it they screw around with. I swear if there's another Burrow burning-esque incident I'll rip my hair out.

Manchee

extra toasty
My god I cannot wait for the new movie to come out here, if only to see how much of it they screw around with. I swear if there's another Burrow burning-esque incident I'll rip my hair out.

The only parts really at the Burrow were in the beginning for the wedding, really.

I liked the movie a whole lot ^^ People who saw it before me said it wasn't as funny, but I still though it was. And the sad scenes were done really well too. Dobby always annoyed me until this movie, so good for him to get me back before dieing.

I'm gonna be honest and say that the movie sucked. It was a waste of time, with comic relief (completely inappropriate in contrast with the noir, dark theme of the book) scattered around in order to appeal to the easily amused masses. It hadn't the remotest semblance of an actual storyline, with the producers knowing that mere fan obligation will compel most people to watch the movie regardless of it's actual quality as a film.

Penguinist Trainer

I've seen the movie twice and I've enjoyed it.

My only really complaint/concern was the portrayal of one of the characters.

In the movie, we meet Xenophilius Lovegood twice and considering the circumstances of when we meet him, I was expecting to see him at polar opposites in terms of style and behavior.

The 2nd time we meet him lived up to my expectations because he was in a distraught state of mind.

The 1st time we meet Xenophilius, I was a little disappointed. In my mind I always pictured Xenophilius as this outlandish character, much like his daughter Luna. Very eccentric in both style and personality. I was extremely excited when I heard Rhys Ifans was portraying Xenophilius, I was excited because I felt he would give a perfect portrayal since he has experience playing characters that stand out.

Formula 51, Little Nicky, Pirate Radio for instance, he plays characters that you really can't take your eyes off them. In Harry Potter though, he seemed to more blend in with the crowd and the way he spoke made him sound more like a paranoid conspiracy theory nut.

I loved the movie, but was anyone else expecting a little more from Luna's father?

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
I am a massive fan of the books, but most of the films have been a disappointment for me (with the exception of the goblet). Therefore, I never really have high expectations for the new releases. I thought that maybe, seen as the film was in two parts, it could be a big improvement on the previous installments, but I wasn't too hopeful.
However, after seeing the film, I was pretty amazed. It was almost exactly how I imagined the book in my head, with a few improvements which I didn't predicts. Most people I know complained about the lack of action, that it seemed to drag on for a bit. I knew that the first part would be like this, a build up to the events of the second half, so I was pretty pleased :) This was the first film in which Daniel Radcliffe didn't annoy me greatly, and I really felt like the main characters had their parts fleshed out fully for the first time, more or less. Some of my favourite bits:

The destroying of the Locket. Possibly my favourite scene in the film, it just seemed so much scarier and important than the books ever made it appear. The effects were amazing, the way that it targeted Ron and his darkest thoughts worked much better than in the books, the part that Harry and Hermione played was so much better, and really helped me to realise how much more adult these films had become. Minor criticism - they didn't explain how Harry knew to open the locket with Parseltongue - slightly annoying, as it did not seem like he had worked it out on the spot, but he must have done, otherwise it would have been opened earlier surely?

Hedwig's Death. The scene was so much more poignant than it ever was in the books, and it was the right way for Hedwig to go. In the books, dying in its cage reflected how useless Harry and co were against Voldemort, which was good, but the way that Hedwig died for Harry was amazing, and fitting for such a good character in the books. One of the saddest deaths in the film, by a long shot.

Charity Burbage's death. This was the only death that made me cry in the books, and I loved the way they kept it in the film and played it out. It is a terrible way to die, not to mention being consumed by a snake afterwards, and it really, again, showed how the story had matured, being one of the first scenes in the movie. It also made me appreciate Snape's character much more, how complex and twisted he is. The most moving scene, for me.

Minor mentions:
The fact that the jokes actually made me laugh for once, in particular, George's part when Harry and Ginny kissed.
The animation for the Deathly Hallows story - very inventive and nice to watch.
Harry and Hermione's dance. I've seen a lot of hate for this scene, but I felt that it showed that, firstly, Ron's jealous feelings had some grounding, and that Harry and Hermione are also extremely good friends, not just Harry and Ron and Ron and Hermione, as it appears in the books. It was awkward to watch, but it was necessary, in a way.
Xenophilius' and Luna's dance at the wedding - need I say anything?
The use of Dolores' patronus at the trial.
The 'Magic is Might' statue.

Minor annoyances:
I did not like the actor chose to play Bill, not at all how I imagined he would look and sound. His scars should have also been more prominent.
Dobby's death - one of the worst scenes of the movie here. Dobby came across as weird, and I wasn't moved at all. Also, I didn't like the fact that the knife followed them through that small vortex, I would have much preferred it is Dobby had been stabbed before, but I suppose it made for good tension for those who did not know about Dobby's death.
The skipping out of the preparation for the Ministry. The film did not show the amount of planning that should have gone into the raid, and made it seem easy and spontaneous. Without the amount of planning shown in the books, surely they would have been caught? This also meant that their relationship with Kreacher was not shown, and, as a knock on effect, we won't see Kreacher leading the house elves out of Hogwarts at the battle D:

Overall, an extremely good film, and it left me in major anticipation for the next film - I do not want to wait for half a year!

EDIT: Cannot believe that I forgot the Hermione torture scene!
Easily my favourite scene in the story, forgot what I said earlier. So emotional and heart wrenching (especially because I love Hermione). I especially loved the 'mudblood' carving in her arm - racial hatred at its best. Amazing scene.

Last edited:

Manchee

extra toasty
In the movie, we meet Xenophilius Lovegood twice and considering the circumstances of when we meet him, I was expecting to see him at polar opposites in terms of style and behavior.

The 2nd time we meet him lived up to my expectations because he was in a distraught state of mind.

The 1st time we meet Xenophilius, I was a little disappointed. In my mind I always pictured Xenophilius as this outlandish character, much like his daughter Luna. Very eccentric in both style and personality. I was extremely excited when I heard Rhys Ifans was portraying Xenophilius, I was excited because I felt he would give a perfect portrayal since he has experience playing characters that stand out.

I feel the same way. I was completely ready to see an older, nuttier version of Luna, but she still seemed like the better one ><

Hedwig's Death. The scene was so much more poignant than it ever was in the books, and it was the right way for Hedwig to go. In the books, dying in its cage reflected how useless Harry and co were against Voldemort, which was good, but the way that Hedwig died for Harry was amazing, and fitting for such a good character in the books. One of the saddest deaths in the film, by a long shot.

Though in the books it was just more dramatic since Harry had to destroy the part of the motorcycle where she was after she died. So yeah, the movie was better having it be a "better way" to die, but the books were a lot more emotional for Harry; he really only mentioned her death once after it happened and then was kind of over it. At least that's how I felt.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
Though in the books it was just more dramatic since Harry had to destroy the part of the motorcycle where she was after she died. So yeah, the movie was better having it be a "better way" to die, but the books were a lot more emotional for Harry; he really only mentioned her death once after it happened and then was kind of over it. At least that's how I felt.

But it seemed so pointless when she died in the books :/ I mean I loved the scene, and how sad Harry was, but in the books you are allowed to see Harry's thought processes, unlike in the films, so maybe in the films he is hurting? Although I agree, it would have been better if he had shown some emotion :/

Penguinist Trainer

Harry and Hermione's dance. I've seen a lot of hate for this scene, but I felt that it showed that, firstly, Ron's jealous feelings had some grounding, and that Harry and Hermione are also extremely good friends, not just Harry and Ron and Ron and Hermione, as it appears in the books. It was awkward to watch, but it was necessary, in a way.

I didn't get that impression at all. Especially the part about Ron's feelings, since he wasn't even anywhere near them during the scene.

The impression I got from that scene was 2 friends trying to lighten the mood. After all, they've both just been abandoned by their friend who was with them since their adventures started when they were 11. They're under constant pressure to stay hidden, and to top it off, the locket is weighing heavily on their moods.

I really didn't see anything romantic about their dancing, in fact it seemed to be goofy on purpose primarily to lift their spirits. Even when they were briefly slow dancing, the looks on their faces showed they were more worried about the people they care about.

I never got the impression that harry and hermione weren't friends either. I've always looked at them as a trio of friends because they always seemed inseparable. I never looked at hermione as only being friends with ron.

even in the other movies, you can see that harry and hermione do indeed share a friendship. such as in the half blood prince when hermione is upset that ron is kissing another girl. or in the goblet of fire when hermione is continuously reminding harry that he needs to plan how he is going to accomplish the challenges. real friends care about the well being of their friends.

Maiq

My anaconda don't
Minor criticism - they didn't explain how Harry knew to open the locket with Parseltongue - slightly annoying, as it did not seem like he had worked it out on the spot, but he must have done, otherwise it would have been opened earlier surely?
It was never explained in the books either.
How was it awkward? All Harry was trying to do was lighten the mood. He did for a minute or two, then Hermione moved off.
Dobby's death - one of the worst scenes of the movie here. Dobby came across as weird, and I wasn't moved at all. Also, I didn't like the fact that the knife followed them through that small vortex, I would have much preferred it is Dobby had been stabbed before, but I suppose it made for good tension for those who did not know about Dobby's death.
It was never explained in the book either. I suppose it would have had to have hit him when they arrived at Shell Cottage, otherwise Dobby's apparition might have failed due to the shock of being 'stabbed'.

Manchee

extra toasty
Maiq said:
bippacooleth said:
Minor criticism - they didn't explain how Harry knew to open the locket with Parseltongue - slightly annoying, as it did not seem like he had worked it out on the spot, but he must have done, otherwise it would have been opened earlier surely?
It was never explained in the books either.

Well Salazar made it so that only Parselmouths could open it, so I guess Jo figured it was common sense enough to know that saying "open" in Parseltongue would work. Muh.

Emiko

Awesome, this thread has boomed since I've last been here. :D

Anyway, MY POST WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS, obviously. xD

Hedwig's death is, honestly, what hit me hardest. I had read that Harry releases her and that she DOESN'T die, and after that I decided to avoid spoilers, so I never found out that wasn't true. So I was happy, having a moment of "at least she's okay" in the theatre and then BAM, SHE SHOWS UP AND GETS KILLED. I agree, it was a "nicer" death than the books but... still. ;____; It surprised me and I was not prepared.

The H/Hr dance was... actually nice. I've always hated how hard Kloves ships H/Hr and was expecting to hate it, but, it was actually pretty sweet and felt more like two friends than a potential couple, imo.

And I know bippacooleth mentioned it, but I need to bring it up too; the tale of the three brothers looked freaking amazing. I was worried about how they'd pull it off, as we couldn't just sit and listen to Hermione the whole time, and I think that the way they did it was just fantastic.

I also really liked how many funny moments there were. I, and the rest of the theatre, laughed a lot throughout the movie, and it didn't feel inappropriate or out of place, despite what all was going on.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I was at the midnight showing the whole theatre was clapping for Dobby after his speech. Maybe most of us knowing he was about to die made it more profound, but... it was still just such a good scene. Maybe I feel this way because I already cared about Dobby, both from the books and the movies, but I was overall happy with his final scene. When he was telling Harry he was happy as he died in his arms I was so, so close to tears.

Oh, speaking of the turn out at the midnight show; SO MANY people were in costume; I loved it! I ended up going as Tonks instead of Hermione [which, while I love Hermione, made me happy as a Hufflepuff~] and I even saw some obscure characters, like a Grey Lady. It was totally awesome.

Overall, while I don't like some of the stuff that was left out [Dean Thomas, Potterwatch (I know it was in the background and mentioned in passing, but... yeah), the graffiti at Gordric's Hallow, no Kreacher's story, no Lupin wanting to come with the trio and all... you know, stuff like that] I still think the movie did a GREAT job adapting the book, and I'm really excited to see part two! :D

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I loved the movie. It was soooooo much better than the train wreck that was the Half-blood Prince.

I liked that they gave Hedwig a purpose when Harry let her out. I didn't like that they left Victor Krum out of the wedding. Not only because he's seriously sexy, but he gets into that riff with Luna's dad about his necklace and what it means.

Other than that it didn't matter to me what made the final cut to the movie and all.

Dobby: OMG, watching him die was about as bad as reading it. When I first read it, I had to put the book down I really cried so much. As soon as I saw a preview with Dobby in the movie, I knew I'd need tissues.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
@Penguinist Trainer - I didn't mean romantically, I meant as friends, obviously for them. But anyway, its just the impression I got, we will all interpret it in different ways :)

@Maiq - The lock: But in the books, there seemed to be some kind of thought process behind it, some reasoning, not a sudden flash of inspiration. Just a minor niggle.

Dance: I just find Daniel Radcliffe cringy, it was an awkward dance, lets be honest. But I liked it.

Dobby's Death: Again, just another thing that I personally didn't like. I also took this part of the book to show Dobby being stabbed just before apparating. Why would a handy vortex appear for the knife to slip through, even though we've never seen anything like this in any other case of an apparation, in the books or films. All of these are just the way I interpreted them, I'm not saying they're factual :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Dobby's Death: Again, just another thing that I personally didn't like. I also took this part of the book to show Dobby being stabbed just before apparating. Why would a handy vortex appear for the knife to slip through, even though we've never seen anything like this in any other case of an apparation, in the books or films. All of these are just the way I interpreted them, I'm not saying they're factual :)

I remember reading the whole last scene from the Malfoy Manor chapter and still being slightly confused about what had actually occured haha. I thought the knife had stabbed Dobby while he and the others were in transit to Shell Cottage. I always assumed the knife had just sort of Apparated with them. So when I saw the film portrayal of that scene, it didn't bother me much that the knife went through the vortex after Dobby and the others. That's just me though. Anyway, its probably just an inconsistency though. The Harry Potter films are always so inconsistent with each other.