• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Harry Potter [warning, might contain spoilers]

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
Yeah, thats a good point. It makes sense that the knife apparated with them, I suppose, but I think that it stabbed Dobby before. Doesn't make an iota of difference, of course :p

Manchee

extra toasty
Dobby's Death: Again, just another thing that I personally didn't like. I also took this part of the book to show Dobby being stabbed just before apparating. Why would a handy vortex appear for the knife to slip through, even though we've never seen anything like this in any other case of an apparation, in the books or films. All of these are just the way I interpreted them, I'm not saying they're factual :)

It was showing them apparating in slow motion. Otherwise it would look like she threw the knife at nothing and then everything randomly disappears. It did look weird imo, but when I though about that being faster it made more sense that it would look like that slowed down.

Shadow XD001

I saw it on Sunday with my brother and two of my friends. I've seen all the movie except for Prisoner of Azkaban (I have a pretty decent idea of what happens, though), so that was okay. But the movie was awesome!

Also,
It was pretty sad when Dobby died, I thought George (?) was also dead, but apparently not. Haha, I thought the wedding was for Harry & Ginny. lolfail. But seriously, what about the love for Headwig, Harry's owl, who also died?!

Wow, I still can't believe how old people like Harry, Ron, and Hermoine look when they were really small and young in the first movie. Damn.

Maiq

My anaconda don't
@Maiq - The lock: But in the books, there seemed to be some kind of thought process behind it, some reasoning, not a sudden flash of inspiration. Just a minor niggle.
This is from the book itself:
'How are you going to open it?' asked Ron. He looked terrified. 'I'm going to ask it to open , using Parseltounge,' said Harry. The answer came so readily to his lips that he thought he had always known it, deep down: perhaps it had taken his recent encounter with Nagini to make him realise it.
It was subconscious after all.

Shadow XD001

You should watch Prisonor of Azkaban. I personally think it's the best movie, so you should definatly watch it, but you appearantly know what's happening, so yeah.

Yeah, I'll try to record it on TV if I ever see it. (I could just go to search and put in Harry Potter), but I don't know most of the stuff, but I do know the characters in there, but it would be great to see it, so I could know everything that happened in the movie, like the past ones I saw.

SmartD

I watched all of the Harry Potter movies up to Deathly Hallows. Deathly Hallows Part 1 was awesome. So much suspense, and great funny scenes. The ending made me want to see how things will turn out in part 2.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I might get around to seeing it this weekend finally.

Maxim

Beyond repair
I have read the book and I've even liked the movie. But one change (a crucial one) annoyed me to the end.

[spoil]When Voldemort came into Grindelwald's cell, Grindelwald simply told him "Herp Derp, Voldie! Teh superpowah wand is in Dumbledur'z graev! Go take it!". I mean, what the hell? He didn't even need to torture him, let alone killing him. He just TOLD Voldemort where the wand is. Laziness much, scriptwriters?[/spoil]

Also, it annoyed me how reckless Harry was in the movie [spoil]he didn't use his Invisibility Cloak at all (they are hiding it, I know, but it's stupid). He was at the wedding party and in Godrick's Valley under his normal self. They'd be found and killed immediately.[/spoil]

Also, many things were unexplained, Dumbledore's backstory wasn't told (hopefully, it'll be told fully in the second part). The animation of the Three Brothers Tale was way too creepy.

But I enjoyed the movie, in overall.

Last edited:

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
I thought that the animation for The Three Brothers was amazing.

I saw it, I loved it, I want to see it again.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Throughout the movie, I noticed how corny some of the scenes were and how awful some of the transitions into more active scenes were (the globes of light at the wedding and the one that morphed into the stag just appeared out of nowhere, while the Death Eaters would just pop up at any given point in order to provide some action). One other quibble of mine was that the movie seems a little bit too bent on following the book line for line. Enough so that it will make allusions to minor characters and forgettable past events that you may not understand without reading the books or paying pedantic attention to the previous films. I saw the movie with two family members who have not read the books, and the last time that I touched a Harry Potter novel was when I finished The Deathly Hallows a few years ago.

All in all, the film was a bit like I was expecting; as the first of two parts, this was going to have less action in it than usual. And indeed it did; it was essentially the least active of all seven films thus far. Yet for all of this time, the plot didn't advance as far as I wished that it had.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I have read the book and I've even liked the movie. But one change (a crucial one) annoyed me to the end.

[spoil]When Voldemort came into Grindelwald's cell, Grindelwald simply told him "Herp Derp, Voldie! Teh superpowah wand is in Dumbledur'z graev! Go take it!". I mean, what the hell? He didn't even need to torture him, let alone killing him. He just TOLD Voldemort where the wand is. Laziness much, scriptwriters?[/spoil]

That sort of bugged me as well, seeing as how in the book, Grindelwald kept his mouth shut out of respect for Dumbledore apparently. He didn't want anyone going to Dumbledore's grave so Voldemort had to get tough in the end. At least, that's how I interpreted that scene in the book :s

Also, many things were unexplained, Dumbledore's backstory wasn't told (hopefully, it'll be told fully in the second part). The animation of the Three Brothers Tale was way too creepy.

I disliked that the most. I thought that they'd talk more about Dumbledore's past but that wasn't really seen in the film. I'm also hoping that it'll come up in Part 2. God, Part 2 seems like it'll be so good from the images I've seen.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Yeah, I'll try to record it on TV if I ever see it. (I could just go to search and put in Harry Potter), but I don't know most of the stuff, but I do know the characters in there, but it would be great to see it, so I could know everything that happened in the movie, like the past ones I saw.

You definitely should watch The Prisoner of Azkaban. It is by far the best book in the series and the only movie which was also better than the book.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
The Three Brothers scene was the best part in the movie. The animation reminded me of Tim Burton's animation. My second favorite scene was the scene where Ron destroys the locket. I just hope the 2nd part goes well, it's got a lot of stuff do put in it still, plus they left out a lot of Dumbledore family information which is basically a must-have.

Dobby's death was out of place for me. He was all funny in one moment but then it turns all sad. If they had mentioned Dobby in the other movies, not just the 2nd or 7th, people would have gotten an emotion attraction for Dobby. It just didn't seem right for me. But, my mom cried at that part. She also cried at the end of King Kong so it wasn't that surprising.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
The critics can go kiss my hairy *** for calling this movie drawn out and giving it bad reviews. The fact that they changed ron from a spoiled little ***** to a jealous little ***** made it better, and I love George casually saying hello while they were going at it. Always liked his character. Hedwig's death being justified made it 10x more reasonable then the book, and that awesome chase scene kicked ***. Good thing with how they made the elder wand all powerful from the beginning and Harry isn't as much as a mary sue as in the book. I mean Jesus, I understand he's the chosen one, but Rowling took it too far in the end. Otherwise, if the second part is as good as the first, PoA might just have to take second place for me. Oh and Radcliffe finally lost it:
http://thefilmstage.com/2010/11/23/...dtwit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wordtwit

Last edited:

Eivui

Uses of Psychics
Honestly, I really liked this movie. I was really glad to hear it would be in two parts to preserve as much as possible. Here's my opinion.

PROS:
Tale of the Three Brothers scene: I loved the animation. I didn't really think about how they wolud do this, but I liked it. It really captured the spirit of it, as an ancient fairy tale based on a truth.

Dobby Death Scene: The only problem I had with this was that, because of my poor hearing, I couldn't really hear what they were saying. I think it was really dramatic, and did a good job of showing the death of an important character.

Hedwig Death Scene: I didn't really like Hedwig's death scene in the books, it seemed too sudden to be dramatic. However, the movie spin on it was great. It made her death dramatic and more meaningful. Before, it was pointless death, which I realize is kind of the Death Eater's thing, but seemed to me was mostly there so J.K. didn't need to include her, along with the Firebolt.

CONS:

Torture Scene: It was redundant, in my opinion. I liked this scene, don't get me wrong, but they also changed Wormtail's death, removing it completely. Instead, Dobby Stunned him. It seemed they were making that less violent, but changing Hermoine just getting tortured with the Cruciatus Curse into getting sliced with a knife, which seems much more brutal and graphic.

Minor Quips: I didn't like how adult they made the locket scene, with Riddle-Harry and Riddle-Hermoine naked and making out. I would've liked them to keep in the Kreacher and Lupin scenes. And they didn't use much of Dumbledore's background, but I guess it would've been boring to just hear it, and I assume they're saving a flashback for when Aberforth innevitably explains Dumbledore's past, so they didn't want another, so they cut it out alltogether. I'm assuming they'll do a flashback of Dumbledore's history in the second part, so this isn't a big deal.

In all, I really enjoyed the movie, and can't wait 'till the second part.

By the way, in case somebody wants a discussion on something besides the movie, what House in Hogwarts do you think you'd be in? I personally would probably be in Hufflepuff, as I don't have any exceptional traits. I am pretty smart (as stated by numerous teachers, and I get good grades, but I don't think I'm that brilliant), but not very clever or creative, so I doubt I'd be in Ravenclaw. I'm a coward and scared of everthing, so not Gryffindor. I'm not an ambitious or mean person at all, so I wouldn't be in Slytherin, so that leaves Hufflepuff. I'm generally good-natured and a fair sport, so I'd fit in well. Anyone else care to share?

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
I saw it the day it came out (no, not at midnight. I'm much too lazy to be up that late.) I loved it. I honestly think its one of the best movies of the series. I like the fact that they were on the road and how the scenery was also in constant change. I think that's why the first two movies rank low on my favorites, as they were at the school, in the hallway, in a classroom, in a hallway, etc. The better movies are the ones with varied locations, like Prisoner of Azkaban and, of course, Deathly Hallows.

I didn't have a problem with Harry dancing with Hermione - there wasn't anything romantic about it, it was to demonstrate their relationship as, you know, this is it.

I did think the relationship between Ron and Hermione was extremely overdone. I would have been fine if they had kept the dynamics exactly that described in the book, but no, Ron's all touching her face for no reason and... I don't know, I just thought they were making the relationship too obvious.

As for Dumbledore's backstory, saving it for the second part makes sense, since that is when his history will come into play, so explaining it 8 months prior is... well, dumb.

Overall, good action, good acting, plus we got to see Dobby again. I loved all of the not-too serious, not-too hilarious humor scattered throughout - these writers have great senses of humor - and the way they paced and handled the story. For once, I feel like they cut out all of the fluff and actually left in all of the important details.

Cobalt_Latios

I saw it the day it came out (no, not at midnight. I'm much too lazy to be up that late.) I loved it. I honestly think its one of the best movies of the series. I like the fact that they were on the road and how the scenery was also in constant change. I think that's why the first two movies rank low on my favorites, as they were at the school, in the hallway, in a classroom, in a hallway, etc. The better movies are the ones with varied locations, like Prisoner of Azkaban and, of course, Deathly Hallows.

I didn't have a problem with Harry dancing with Hermione - there wasn't anything romantic about it, it was to demonstrate their relationship as, you know, this is it.

I did think the relationship between Ron and Hermione was extremely overdone. I would have been fine if they had kept the dynamics exactly that described in the book, but no, Ron's all touching her face for no reason and... I don't know, I just thought they were making the relationship too obvious.

As for Dumbledore's backstory, saving it for the second part makes sense, since that is when his history will come into play, so explaining it 8 months prior is... well, dumb.

Overall, good action, good acting, plus we got to see Dobby again. I loved all of the not-too serious, not-too hilarious humor scattered throughout - these writers have great senses of humor - and the way they paced and handled the story. For once, I feel like they cut out all of the fluff and actually left in all of the important details.
From what you've said, I'm guessing the main reason why they could afford to keep so much from the books this time around, is because they're stretching it over 2 movies, as opposed to squishing it into one. That way, they have so breathing room to really get in the quintessential parts of the books into the movie without completely ignoring things, while getting rid of extra little odds and ends.

IMO, of course, I haven't seen this movie yet. Not sure I want to. But Half Blood Prince was a surprise to me, so maybe I'll check this one out.

C_L

Maxim

Beyond repair
By the way, in case somebody wants a discussion on something besides the movie, what House in Hogwarts do you think you'd be in? I personally would probably be in Hufflepuff, as I don't have any exceptional traits. I am pretty smart (as stated by numerous teachers, and I get good grades, but I don't think I'm that brilliant), but not very clever or creative, so I doubt I'd be in Ravenclaw. I'm a coward and scared of everthing, so not Gryffindor. I'm not an ambitious or mean person at all, so I wouldn't be in Slytherin, so that leaves Hufflepuff. I'm generally good-natured and a fair sport, so I'd fit in well. Anyone else care to share?

Huh? Unexpected question. Personality-wise I'm definitely a Slyth but... there's the issue of blood purity. I'm also pretty smart and a know-it-all but I'm definitely not a hard-worker, so I guess Ravenclaw would fit me only partially. Brave? I am. But only in words. Definitely not a Gryff.

But no matter of the house, I'd become a 007 Auror with the license for using Avada Kedavra!

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Gryffindor all the way, probably would be the best known for how many stupid things I'd get myself into.