• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Haruka and kamo?

I watch alot of raw episodes and one thing i've noticed is that Haruka was kamo at the end of most of her sentences..what does this mean?

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Its called a speech quirk which is relatively common in anime. Most dubbing companies try to maintain that quirk when they translate. 4Kids doesn't though. (They could have had May say "eh" at the end of her sentences but then she'd sound like a stereotypical canadian.)

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
The word itself doesn't really mean anything. She just adds it onto her sentences. If 4KIDS really wanted to keep the word in translation, they could just have May say "Yep!" at the end of most of her lines. I think that would actually work pretty well.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Yeah...as other people have said, it's just a word to make May's seach patterns seem unique. I thought someone at one point said it could translate to be something along the word of "like".

Also, if you've been watching the Japanese episodes and have been noticing May's speech quirk, why haven't you noticed that Meowth says "Nyaa" after every sentence? o_O

Raevell

Really? I thought kamo meant "might be" or "maybe." I'm not sure where I heard that though... Yikes, I hate admitting ignorance. XD;;

PDL

disenchanted
why haven't you noticed that Meowth says "Nyaa" after every sentence?

well, he is a pokemon afterall, so it's only natural that he still has some traits of one, such as saying the name of his speices and all...

Kawaiiest.Combusken said:

Also, if you've been watching the Japanese episodes and have been noticing May's speech quirk, why haven't you noticed that Meowth says "Nyaa" after every sentence? o_O

Yeah but I just figured it's cause he's a cat. And i've also noticed that Daitokuji-sensei off of Yu-Gi-Oh GX has that "Nyaa" thing too.

G

Geki

~Satoshi~ said:
I watch alot of raw episodes and one thing i've noticed is that Haruka was kamo at the end of most of her sentences..what does this mean?

You know, I've always wondered what that means too. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Raevell

Aha! Kamo does mean "might", "maybe", or "could be."

http://japanese.about.com/blsjp21_1.htm

Plus I just recalled where I had heard this before. From Hikaru Utada's song Addicted to You. The lyrics go, "Kimi ni addicted kamo," which translates to "I might be addicted to you," or "I think I'm addicted to you."

It does mean something, it's not just some silly thing tacked onto the end of a sentence. It might simply be considered annoying or childlike because it means uncertainty. How many people like it when someone else keeps saying, "Maybe," over and over again?

Last edited:

V Faction

www.faction.com
That doesn't mean it carries the same significance here. As other had said, it's some stupid Japanese Haruka quirk.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
-kamo is pretty much a shortened form of -kamo shirenai, which does mean "maybe," "might," "may," etc. Haruka uses the word more liberally, though, tacking it onto the end of her sentences without any real reason for doing so.

Chris

Old Coot
The Big Al said:
(They could have had May say "eh" at the end of her sentences but then she'd sound like a stereotypical canadian.)
Since when did "eh" sound like "'ey?" >_>;

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
~Satoshi~ said:
Yeah but I just figured it's cause he's a cat. And i've also noticed that Daitokuji-sensei off of Yu-Gi-Oh GX has that "Nyaa" thing too.

Daitokuji doesn't use "nyaa" near as much. Nyaasu not only uses it at the end of his sentences, but also to refer to himself in first-person, and even mixing it into words (particularly words that have "na" in them). On top of that, I think he also uses a slightly similar-sounding "omya" to refer to others in second-person.