• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has generation 3 drawn the short straw?

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
I love the third generation. Plain and simple. It was the best, and I can't really find a pokemon I haven't used/don't like. I even like the Regi's..and they're lumps of rock/steel/ice xD I like all three starters and well....it's just way under appreciated.

Derp

[Something funny]
I loved Gen III alot and they only thing I disliked alot was no trading from Gen II to Gen III.

How ever the new stuff they added made up for that big time.

Cap D. Blue

ボルトチェンジ
I was in sixth grade when Gen III was first released in the US: I remember how excited I was, because I had fallen into a rut, so to speak, in regards to Pokemon. Ruby completely revitalized my interest, and a lot of my friends were playing it, too, which surprised me since around that time it wasn't "cool" to like Pokemon.

The main thing is that, as previously mentioned, Gen III is the "middle child" of Pokemon: Gens I and II are cool because of your Nostalgia Filter, and Gens IV and V are more recent and brought the series to where it is now. Gen III brought in all the new mechanics -- Abilities, Natures, competitive mainstays such as Salamence and Swampert -- that make Pokemon what it is today (although, granted, that could be said about any Pokemon gen).

For it's time? Gen III was ground-breaking, absolutely fantastic, and a solid step in the right direction. However, nowadays Gen III has to deal with Middle Child Syndrome until the inevitable remakes are announced and Hoenn gets to be loved again.

legnak

Alvion Region it is!
Okay, I say that 3rd gen was the best IMO, Most of my favorites are from there (Aron, Salamence, Zangoose, Seviper, Kyogre, Makuhita, Numel, Dustox... just to name a few), That's why I hope they'll make a remake of Ruby and Sapphire.

Saph

Rapscallion
People dislike the 3rd Generation because it came out right after Pokemon lost most of it's mainstream popularity. It was the worst time to be a Pokemon fan.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the games themselves.

Totokip

Black Triangle
I loved 3rd gen, I still play sapphire and emerald regularky, and I'm considering getting ruby around my birthday this year too. I loved every 3rd gen pokemon. It's the only gen. where it's hard for me to choose a starter, usually there's one starter for me who sticks out, not in 3rd gen though. I went with treecko, cuz I liked a little more, but I can have fun with all 3 starters. I loved all the mazes and stuff too, especially the trick house, figuring out all those puzzles was just way too fun! Overall, 3rd gen is my fav, almost forgot to mention that I deem it's soundtrack to be the best to date.(not including mystery dungeon games)
My overall ranking of the regions is as follow:
3, 5, 1, 2, and 4. Though I do love all the regions.

EliteMaster

I think every generation is equal.
They all have their ups and downs.
But generation three was the only generation where I just could not decide which starter to take so easily...

Is that a good or bad thing?

Ditto123

~Word~
I really don't get the hate for it. Gen three was my intro to pokemon. I love Hoenn and it's plainly an amazing region

MegaMew2

5th Gen still sucks.
I don't really hate Gen III. It's more like I was bored with it.
To me, it just seems like a bit of a letdown. (Don't get me wrong. I love Emerald)
I definetely love the Pokemon from that Generation, though!
Maybe that's how other people felt? Bored?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I totally forgot about the introduction of Natures and Abilities in Generation 3, but they were a huge step forward. I personally never pay close attention to Natures and Abilities, but I bet that they changed the competitive battle landscape. I've also noticed that Pokemon like Metagross, Swampert and Salamence are used frequently on competitive teams, so people should be thankful to Generation 3 for introducing those Pokemon.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
All generations are good, it just happens that *opinion* Gen 3 was the least good *opinion*. I don't like the region or story very much, and it was probably my least favourite batch of Pokemon altogether. Having said that, it's the only set of games (except maybe R/B/Y) where I loved all the starters. Definitely the best sets of starters and their evolutions for me, through and through.

And, to reiterate what lots have said, it's simply the original generation of Pokemon players, who lived through the fad phase of Pokemon, and ditched the franchise after G/S/C because it "wasn't cool". They don't like the games because they didn't play them at the time they came out.

I don't know about it being bad, but I always found it boring.
At that point, I had been a fan since yellow, but I was just starting to lose interest in the series. That is until the Gen I remakes came out.

A strange thing about it, is that I found the games boring yet I still owned all the games(Each at different times).

On the other hand, I spent more time in the Pokemon contests then everything else in the game.

Sorinari

I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue first came out. I absolutely loved the catching and training aspect that I've looked for in any game since then. It's basically hooked me on tycoon games (come on, you can't deny Pokemon is the most popular tycoon game ever.) Gold, Silver and Crystal came out and I was a little underwhelmed with the shoddy new pokemon. Granted there were new types, but not much for them. There were only 4 moves for the Dark type and one of those was transferred from Normal (Bite). The colour palette was great since everything was either black and white (GB) all one colour (Red and Blue for GBC) or changed per city (Yellow). But then came along Ruby and Sapphire. It really renewed the franchise. New Pokemon, vibrant settings, greater movepools and more moves to put in them, a catching story (the start of the whole SAVE THE WORLD thing for Pokemon that everyone bashes on in Gen III even though everything else uses it) and a completely new battle system to boot! Everything was crisp and clean and it was a reboot that Pokemon sorely needed. Gen IV and V have done nothing to top the change that reinvented Pokemon. They still use some of the same sprites, and all the sprites are of the same style, including the Pokemon, the overworld NPCs and the Player character (Bigger head and more defined body features). Granted you can put this all on better systems to play on, but the thing is, they haven't made any large advances with the DS games than they did with GBC to GBA. The best they did was do 156 new Pokemon to top 150(1) in the first Gen. Now this rant is partly about how lackluster the Pokemon effort seems to be lately. Granted they've added a lot of cool features. Wifi battling, the GTS, Physical/Special split and something I've been waiting for for a long time...UPGRADED BUG POKEMON! NO LONGER WILL THEY BE TRODDEN AND CRUSHED! *Ahem* However, Gen III is to thank for many of the things that Pokemon trainers far and wide have come to love and utilize. Natures, EVs and the special breeding tactics that go with them, BERRIES!, a MUCH wider selection of hold items and abilities a great post-game with all the side-quests and legendaries to find.

I rest my rant at Gen III revolutionizing the series.
=3

Zark

{5D's Elite Duelist}
The 3rd Gen is my second best with Sinnoh being first.

I loved Hoenn mainly because it started with a full Pokedex of NEW Pokemon and not Evolutions of previous Pokemon from Kanto and Johto.

They did the same with BW but i'm not feeling the thrill and stuff, it seems boring and the designs of some Pokemon are sooooo similar with previous Pokemon and some designs don't really make any sense.

I loved Sinnoh mainly because of the Gameplay and Anime, it was probably the best out of em. Even though it didn't have a fresh start of Pokemon, it still did an amazing job.

So yeah, Hoenn was pretty beastly but I still prefer Sinnoh.

Kaz~

Banned
I'm one of those people who didn't really like Hoenn, but then if I actually think about it, I'm not sure why I didn't like it. Maybe it's because after G/S/C, the whole Pokémon craze was kinda over.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
I don't think so. I think Emerald is the best game in the pokemon series and I consider it to be one of the greatest games of all time.

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
It has always seemed to me that Hoenn was a very unpopular region, but it has always been my favorite. First of all, my Sapphire was my very first Pokemon game, and a quality that I really like about the Hoenn region is the ability to explore and find a myriad of hidden areas in the vast ocean of Hoenn. It just seemed like there were so many places to explore. Emerald still remains my favorite Pokemon game, only second to the newer games in terms of graphics and extra features, but bare bone, I like Emerald better. The original battle frontier is much better than this new pentagon thing, and far superior to a subway system. Once the remakes come out, as they soon will, the region's popularity will probably spike.