• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has Justin Beiber ruined SteamPunk?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I saw this at the Arthur Christmas movie.
http://gawker.com/5865597/justin-bieber-ruins-entire-nerd-subculture-with-new-christmas-video

My first thought was, "Oh crap! The SteamPunks are going to build some awesome death rays for the poor young man.

My daughter is dating a SteamPunk young man. So I have a bit of incite on the culture. I think it's kinda cool, and I laugh when my daughter explains the local SteamPunk Convention (ie World Steam) as, 'the politest, best smelling Con she has attended!'

But how will they react to Beliebers horning in on their culture only because Justin was wearing SteamPunk couture?

Maybe I'm being alarmist because I like the culture, but I think Justin did a dis-service to the community.

Whatcha think?

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
Nooooo!!!! The world of Steam Punk is ending! Either that, or Justin Beiber's finally going to the nerd side!

MeltingCORE

Nerd subculture...? WELL. *crosses arms*

"OH NO, GUISE! WE GOTTA THROW EVERYTHING AWAY, BEIBS HAS TRIED TO IMITATE US!"

As a fan of the Steampunk subculture, I think it's silly to say one kid ruined the entire 'world' of Steampunk. C'mon. If it's that bad, just ignore it.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Remember, SteamPunk started as one kid/teen somewhere. Since you are a SteamPunk enthusiast, how does the idea of Beiber fans wearing the togs but not knowing the culture feel to you?

Spookz

Lumos
It's just another poser fad for the 13 year olds of the world. Just like most 13 year olds aren't really punk rockers when they say they are, these kids might latch onto the steam-punk look because of Beiber.. but it'll die out after a while anyway. Like all fads do.

Anyone with basic cognitive skills knows well enough to leave it alone, because it doesn't matter in the long run anyway.

ChedWick

The whole sense of ownership of any gimmicky sub-cultural trait is just stupid.

"You can't wear that you're not **** roar!!!"

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I will have to disagree Jb. They were the only ones willing to embrace their inner nerd freely over other fans of the genre.

RobertStyx

I'm not too bothered TBH, I never saw the appeal of steampunk personally. That said though, I do know a good few people who are really into steampunk, and will likely pitch a ***** fit about this.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
No the author started it. Did the writer actually try to go to a SteamPunk event is is he/she writing from the sidelines without testing his theory? It sounds to me more like the latter. I went to several gamer conventions the crowds were predominantly one group. Geeks! I've been a gamer geek for 30 years. I have gamed all over the world. 95% of the gamers I have met are white nerds. Do you really think they would care that someones skin color is different? From experience I'd say no. Because it's one more person added to the geek nation!

Shame on the author for being to closed minded to try and join the fun.

As with everything bieber does, his haters will make far bigger a deal of it than his fans.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
No the author started it. Did the writer actually try to go to a SteamPunk event is is he/she writing from the sidelines without testing his theory? It sounds to me more like the latter. I went to several gamer conventions the crowds were predominantly one group. Geeks! I've been a gamer geek for 30 years. I have gamed all over the world. 95% of the gamers I have met are white nerds. Do you really think they would care that someones skin color is different? From experience I'd say no. Because it's one more person added to the geek nation!

Last thing... SteamPunks embrace the Victorian era which:
The Victorian era corresponds with the reign of Queen Victoria in England from 1837 to 1901. *SNIP* The importance placed on civic conscience and social responsibility engendered notable developments toward gender and racial equality, such as the legal abolishment of slavery in America. In addition, humanitarian and religious organizations such as the Salvation Army reflected the Victorian concern for the poor and needy of the period.

xDWarrior

Justin Bieber has ruined EVERYTHING

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Seeing as you are an adult male (by your info) How can you say that and keep a straight face?

Aegon

I don't care at all about this (stop whining and realise that no one "owns" steampunk), but I had to drop by to say this: It's Bieber. Remember, children, "i before e, except after c".