• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has Pokémon JN made up for lack of continuity in the past series?

Wow most of my threads end in chaos. Your comments about "ghosts" was funny. And okay I've heard him known as Cybercubed but I do think people called him Scott. Why is he making a bunch of alts again?
You can ask him whenever a random new user pops up and starts arguing with people, I for one have no clue.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Did the writers make up for their lack of continuity or do they have a ways to go?
I don't feel like Pokemon had completely forsaken continuity. Prior to JN, continuity references were rare, but AFAIK, the past continuity wasn't contradicted either.

This is a structural problem with the series. It's a marketing vehicle. Yes, it expands on the world of the games, but it primarily exists to sell the games and other merch. As @Morax said, its formula is structured to allow the anime to keep its core characters while serving as that marketing vehicle.

It's also targeted to a specific age range, and the show doesn't change to keep up with the core audience. I feel like its designed to have audience turnover ever few years.

I think that these factors mean continuity references take a back seat to keep things focused on the current generation. We don't really hear about past companions unless the story would allow them to show up or there is a product they can promote. And a companion return has to fit into the storyline. How do you justify Iris being in Kalos or Serena visiting Alola while Ash is there?

Given the age of the series, I wouldn't be surprised if continuity wasn't referenced because it was forgotten. The show has been airing weekly for almost 25 years.

JN does change the format up a little. It's not locked into a single region, and this is the 25th anniversary of the games and the anime. I think that gives the staff more freedom to tap into the shows past. Overall, I think they've done a good job in bringing back past characters, but I can also understand why people don't like it.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don't feel like Pokemon had completely forsaken continuity. Prior to JN, continuity references were rare, but AFAIK, the past continuity wasn't contradicted either.

This is a structural problem with the series. It's a marketing vehicle. Yes, it expands on the world of the games, but it primarily exists to sell the games and other merch. As @Morax said, its formula is structured to allow the anime to keep its core characters while serving as that marketing vehicle.

It's also targeted to a specific age range, and the show doesn't change to keep up with the core audience. I feel like its designed to have audience turnover ever few years.

I think that these factors mean continuity references take a back seat to keep things focused on the current generation. We don't really hear about past companions unless the story would allow them to show up or there is a product they can promote. And a companion return has to fit into the storyline. How do you justify Iris being in Kalos or Serena visiting Alola while Ash is there?

Given the age of the series, I wouldn't be surprised if continuity wasn't referenced because it was forgotten. The show has been airing weekly for almost 25 years.

JN does change the format up a little. It's not locked into a single region, and this is the 25th anniversary of the games and the anime. I think that gives the staff more freedom to tap into the shows past. Overall, I think they've done a good job in bringing back past characters, but I can also understand why people don't like it.
Really? Johto is obviously connected to OS so that's self explanatory, AG brought back Misty, Gary and half of it took place in Kanto. DP brought back Brandon, Gary, Jasmine and May and mentioned Ash's BF and Johto quests. BW remade scenes from OS, had Charizard appear, brought back Prof Oak and Claire, made references to Butterfree and returned to Kanto. XY... well we know. SM remixed Sinnoh's Gym Leader theme, mentioned that Ash competed in the Kalos League, mentioned Ash's pity badges, brought back Misty and Brock (and a couple of his old Pokemon) etc. I think the anime has made enough references without being in your face. Additionally Iris and Serena both could had excuses. Drayden implied Iris' got to her position by challenging different dragon trainers and so you'd think her going to challenge a dragon Elite Four member wouldn't be that out of bounds and Alola is a vacationing spot.

Last edited:

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
It's kinda a tricky question. Does it have more continuity than the past three series combined? Absolutely.

Has that continuity been handled in a meaningful manner, in terms of overall quality? Not exactly. It's either been a case of false nostalgia baiting, rushed and unexplained development or the polar opposite of that being stagnated development; for the most part. Only a few like Gary have really hit the mark.
I’m pretty much in the same boat with this. By numbers this series has a lot of of returning characters, but that’s about all it has.

Pokemon has pretty much for the most part been about self contained stories in a contained series. It never lended itself with naturally flowing story continuity. Character or callbacks return always felt like an anomaly, a fanservice moment, an occasion, and not something that’s just part of a continuous story. This gets exasperated even more with how ash is reset every series.

This hasn’t really felt like it has changed with JN. There’s more, but it still lacks any meaningful depth to it. We’ve only recently gotten more casual minor characters, but they feel like simple plot device. They should’ve done it earlier in the series, having minor old characters take part in the stories more often, to make them feel natural to the world.

The best major character has been gary. Not only does has a major role in a episode, without hijacking the plot and leaving ash and goh pointless, we also got him casually leaving the project mew base and chatting a bit. It made him feel like a living being with his own life in the world, rather than a tool that is put in a stasis when not in used like dawn has or just a convenient plot device for the episode. For the minor characters drake has probably been the best. Yes he was a bit of plot device as well, but the coincidental meeting and his role being important enough makes him much better than erika or even korrina were.

Though tbh given the structure of this series as a whole i’ve long sinced stopped caring about continuity, and never really expected or cared for it that much. You might even notice how with minor characters, rather than continuity i really just wanted them to be good CotDs.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
Pokemon has pretty much for the most part been about self contained stories in a contained series. It never lended itself with naturally flowing story continuity. Character or callbacks return always felt like an anomaly, a fanservice moment, an occasion, and not something that’s just part of a continuous story. This gets exasperated even more with how ash is reset every series.
Well put. And because this anime lacks a continuous story, a lot of cameos have been forced to make sense. For example the wallace cup was a concept they created on-the-spot as an excuse to bring may back (Why did we never have one before DP?). Dawn had no business being in unova since there were no contests but they made up some dumb sh.it anyway like “i’m here for inspiration”. Kukui had to arrange an international field trip only to meet misty and brock (why we never got any more field trips? Who knows).

This self-contained form of storytelling only works when you have a fixed set of main characters like Gintama, chibi-maruko chan, doraemon or Osomatsu-san. Continuity requires an overarching plot like One Piece to flow smoothely and feel organic.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Confused at the “people want x but complain about y” comments as if the forums aren’t constantly in repetitive discussions based on people’s differing preferences all the time. You can’t please everyone so obviously some people are going to have issues regardless of what’s done. We’re not a unanimous hivemind.

Anyway, for the actual question, I first feel like it’s unfair for Journeys to have to “make up” continuity for past series. Even then I disagree as BW was a soft reboot and XY’s lack of out of series continuity wasn’t some major flaw that ruined the season. As for what we’ve gotten so far, it’s been decent. Personally bored of returns that are just another battle for Ash. Companions returning have been great besides Dawn’s first return. A lot of stuff like Ash’s Pokémon and flashbacks to older series are nice without feeling forced.

As I said in other threads, my favorite returns are the ones who manage to have unique interactions with the cast based on their character like Chuck, Drake, & Gary. Journeys hasn’t felt like the globe trotting adventure it promotes itself as well as it tends to feel small but these characters help with world building that aren’t just nostalgic retreads of what Ash has already done. I’d like to see more things similarly to how SM incorporated its COTDs like using the Unown episode to bring back Morty.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Nope

Journeys continuity rather shows perfectly how bad it can be by baiting the fanbases of the past series to get the views instead of writing a decent story. I am tired to see Dawn, Misty, Brock, the Alola gang etc. for the tentht time and I am generally just annoyed by the world travel setting of Journeys.

Could the continuity be better? Debatable.

Does it make up for the lack of it in the last couple of series (SM was less bad than XY though)? Definitely.

Remix2

Nope

Journeys continuity rather shows perfectly how bad it can be by baiting the fanbases of the past series to get the views instead of writing a decent story. I am tired to see Dawn, Misty, Brock, the Alola gang etc. for the tentht time and I am generally just annoyed by the world travel setting of Journeys.
Honestly the only return that I’m excited for is the xy trio since they are long overdue for a return, and maybe Lille as well.

but ya they need to slow down the dp stuff for awhile after the legend arc.

Goh has had plenty of development with his Pokémon and everything. So has Chloe (who seems like a stereotype Pokegirl with an Eevee that likes contests).

I am more concerned about Ash, though. He needs emotional development. Thus far, he has only been developed through the PWC/battling. in episode 87, Goh summarized Ash up pretty well.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Goh has had plenty of development with his Pokémon and everything.
That largely depends because they all seem to get one weird focus episode before they fall back into being his tools to get around.

There hasn't been a real Cinderace or Inteleon focus after each evolved. Cinderace goofs around, Inteleon acts like Sexy-07 or something.

Remix2

That largely depends because they all seem to get one weird focus episode before they fall back into being his tools to get around.

There hasn't been a real Cinderace or Inteleon focus after each evolved. Cinderace goofs around, Inteleon acts like Sexy-07 or something.
They only get development in the magical world call offscreen land.