• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has Pokemon Lost it's Emotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed

That would completely defeat the purpose of the anime promoting the games. That'd be horrible.
OHHHH.... lol! so I guess Ash is just gonna have to lose all the leagues to continue this never ending journey of finding badges and losing at the league all to promote the games.

randomspot555

OHHHH.... lol! so I guess Ash is just gonna have to lose all the leagues to continue this never ending journey of finding badges and losing at the league all to promote the games.

The Pokemon anime has never marketed itself as some revolutionary show. A clear standard plot was pretty obvious after the first 15 episodes, and Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh re-enforced the 8 gyms and a League concept, with the only diversions being Orange (4 badges and a Champion match) and Battle Frontier (...which were basically gym battles).

So yeah, if you're watching this show and expecting something else, you've got unrealistic expectations.

And before you go "But anime X and Y and Z did all this awesome stuff!!!!", remember that the Pokemon anime is derived from the games. Until the games change up what they do, the anime will stay consistent to stick to the game formula.

I 100% agree that its lost any emotion it use to have. If you ask any person who has followed the show since episode 1 they will tell you the saddest moments really happened within the first 3 seasons (think butterfree, squirtle, charizard, and bulby leaving). I think what has happened now is a change to make it more of a generic show for kids that is only working on building a fan following and not its story-lines.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Pokemon does not give me the good nostalgic feeling it used to do.

randomspot555

I 100% agree that its lost any emotion it use to have. If you ask any person who has followed the show since episode 1 they will tell you the saddest moments really happened within the first 3 seasons (think butterfree, squirtle, charizard, and bulby leaving).

...Bulbasaur didn't leave. EP 225 simply had him stay at Oak's lab, and he came back as soon as the league started up. It wasn't an emotional episode at all...and really, IMO, wasn't all that good,.

Squirtle's departure to the Squirtle Squad really wasn't all that emotional. It was a good episode, but similar to Pidgeotto, Squirtle had a task to do and Ash understood that.

Charizard was emotional because Ash knew he couldn't make Charizard stronger on his own. He needed a lot of attention and needed to be in a specific environment, and Ash as a traveling trainer with a full party of Pokemon, couldn't trian him any more. So he had to leave him.

Butterfree's was sad, but hey, it was necessary. He kind of sucked in battle, and it was his time to leave.

I think what has happened now is a change to make it more of a generic show for kids that is only working on building a fan following and not its story-lines.

It was always a "generic show for kids" and never, ever had good story lines. If anything, the semblence of a "plot" is actually stronger now (not much, but by a bit) than it was in the "good ol days"

Blessed

The Pokemon anime has never marketed itself as some revolutionary show. A clear standard plot was pretty obvious after the first 15 episodes, and Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh re-enforced the 8 gyms and a League concept, with the only diversions being Orange (4 badges and a Champion match) and Battle Frontier (...which were basically gym battles).

So yeah, if you're watching this show and expecting something else, you've got unrealistic expectations.

And before you go "But anime X and Y and Z did all this awesome stuff!!!!", remember that the Pokemon anime is derived from the games. Until the games change up what they do, the anime will stay consistent to stick to the game formula.

I KNOW, But it's getting ridiculous & I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary so idk what you're talkin about.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I basically view Pokemon now like I do those Bakugon and Beyblade shows. It's a bunch of generic characters thrown together, with "voice acting" (if you could even call it that) doing generic things every episode. I'll give Pokemon some credit in that its battles are actually entertaining. However, all the focus on them has caused Pokemon to abandon what it is really about: having an adventure filled with morals of friendship, discovery, and helping others. Pokemon was always an advertisement, but back in the old days one could really feel something special emanating from the show.

That is what made the old Pokemon great, and the new Pokemon, in my honest opinion, a basic action Anime, just filled with pretty colors and collisions with its old fuse just about extinguished.

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Pokemon feels the same as it always had to me. Personally I don't like the BW arc so far - it's not close enough to the games compared to others - but I don't feel any major differences from previous arcs.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Pokemon has always had emotion in some form or other, the whole charmander bit, ash always caring deeply for his friends and Pokemon. The whole thing with grovyle evolving into sceptile to protect meganium+ the gang, even though he wasn't loved back and then he entered a serious depression. The whole thing with infernape,Ash and Gary becoming friends. I have yet to find stuff in black in white, although when ash battled clay that was exiting. I forgot about lapras, lapras nuff' said. I also forgot when ash traded butterfree, and when he released both butterfree and pidgeot, and when he left charizard in training. Okay, now nuff' said. But all in all I haven't seen emotion in the 5fth gen.

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
I see emotion but Not as cry-tastic as the original seasons were.
I mean Pikachu feeling betrayed by Meowth was wow!
But nothing was tear-jerking than Butterfree's adios or Team Rocket's original Pokemon having to leave.

rohit_1997

Wait,what!?
it's surprising to see how this whole bunch of million new fans jump in suddenly and the series start over again,as if a bunch of a million people started watching pokemon all at once.
the writers could have made ash much more mature and made him challenge the pokemon league instead of starting this whole thing all over again.

i see no point in this new series,it's everything again with 5th gen views

Last edited:

~Ace

i can show you how
Pokemon anime still has the same atmosphere, it just shows it in a different way.

Bluelatios*

I basically view Pokemon now like I do those Bakugon and Beyblade shows. It's a bunch of generic characters thrown together, with "voice acting" (if you could even call it that) doing generic things every episode. I'll give Pokemon some credit in that its battles are actually entertaining. However, all the focus on them has caused Pokemon to abandon what it is really about: having an adventure filled with morals of friendship, discovery, and helping others. Pokemon was always an advertisement, but back in the old days one could really feel something special emanating from the show.

That is what made the old Pokemon great, and the new Pokemon, in my honest opinion, a basic action Anime, just filled with pretty colors and collisions with its old fuse just about extinguished.

munchlaxboy makes a very good point here. Pokemon thrives on being nostalgic and memorable. Before anyone scoffs at "nostalgic characteristics", think about it. The ability for a tv show to grow on you like that, and the ability to appeal to fans outside the "target audience" is a rarity in today's world. That's Pokemon's strongest point. That's what made it something special. Even more, the deeper morals of Pokemon have the power to bring people together, appreciate the world, and encourage them to chase after their dreams and ambitions. These qualities made Pokemon stand out in its prime and contributed to its universal recognition. My concerns about the anime today is that there's less emphasis on what you might call the "soul" of Pokemon. More and more, Pokemon seems like its being treated as average and appealing more exclusively to kids than before due to a shortage of depth. Is Pokemon capturing their attention and inspiring them in a way like it did with some of us who grew up during older seasons? Because if not, then I foresee that Pokemon's long-term popularity and quality will decrease in the future.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
What are you talking about? New kids get into the anime every generation while the previous kids outgrow it. The show isn't intended to keep the same audience for 15 years.

randomspot555

More and more, Pokemon seems like its being treated as average and appealing more exclusively to kids

It's always been marketed and meant for a young audience. This isn't new.

Because if not, then I foresee that Pokemon's long-term popularity and quality will decrease in the future.

lol

So does anyone really want to watch Iris and Excadrill Against the Dragon Buster! and tell me that has no emotional appeal?

Last edited:

Bluelatios*

Well I don't mean to say there is no emotion whatsoever, its just seems to have less impact in my opinion. Even though its marketed for a younger audience, there are still a good number of people that started watching Pokemon anime many years ago and still do because they were well-captivated by it early on. What I'm questioning is whether or not Pokemon still "hooks" people the same way that it did when it was the most popular. They always invent new plots and characters in order to "hook you again", but there can come a point when too many variables change to do that as effectively, one of which might possibly be the way emotions and morals are intertwined with the plot.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I understand what BlueLatios* is saying. I loved the Original Series, and it kept me hooked until the end (Master Quest) and even a little into Hoenn. That was roughly 9 or 9 years ago, and I am still talking about how great it was to this day. It was an extremely significant part of my childhood that has carried over to my teenage life (not that I publicize it, but it still affects me). I know I will remember it for my entire life, based on all the memories I have of Pokemon and its importance to me.

I can't see the kids watching the new generations of Pokemon remembering this show as a fond part of their childhood. Like I said before, it feels like a generic Anime just with a little better of a concept and visual appeal. It's not something they'll cherish forever; it will just glow in their eyes until they're about 10-12 years old, when liking Pokemon stops becoming "cool" and starts becoming "lame", and they'll likely forget about it forever.

Yes, Pokemon was always targeted at children. However, the Original Series brought a sense of morals and plot that could still appeal to a somewhat older audience. Albeit, it wasn't something they'd be in love with like a child would, but it could still be enjoyable to watch with your own child or something like that.

But that's not the point. Th real idea to get out of what I'm trying to say here is the Original Series brought qualities that it gave it such emotional appeal that I know that it will at least remain charished in my heart forever, and I'm sure it works that way for many others on the forum. The Anime today does not produce this quality, and it what makes it, in my opinion, rather average or standard.

randomspot555

I can't see the kids watching the new generations of Pokemon remembering this show as a fond part of their childhood. Like I said before, it feels like a generic Anime just with a little better of a concept and visual appeal. It's not something they'll cherish forever; it will just glow in their eyes until they're about 10-12 years old, when liking Pokemon stops becoming "cool" and starts becoming "lame", and they'll likely forget about it forever.

The experience of watching the anime for a time and growing out of it was common back in OS too. It isn't some phenomenon that started happening in AG.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
No. I think pokemon has lost lot of it's fan bases. Emotional bla bla bla this. Bla bla bla that. I'm glad they stopped the extra over the topic because it was getting very sappy and I didn't like it. Maybe once in a while somone might shed a few tears this season.(Hope it's Bianca)

Dawn and Piplup

Piplup+Pikachu Fan
No, not really. To be honest it might even have more emotion. I thought eg. Ash running out of oxygen, manaphy leaving may, arceus almost dieing, all those scenes were quite full of emotion.
I thought they were more sad then say for example, movie 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.