• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has technology gone to far?

Do you think technology has come to far?

• Yes

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 98 88.3%

• Total voters

wolf king

Resistance is futile
(i started a thread like this on another forum a few day ago's ....not that you would be interest but ha ho)

YES it's gone wayyyyyyyyyyy to far ,in terms of it's uses

VizardBlue

no, you are dead.
(i started a thread like this on another forum a few day ago's ....not that you would be interest but ha ho)

YES it's gone wayyyyyyyyyyy to far ,in terms of it's uses

Explain exactly what you mean? There are limitless uses, and they should all be exploited if it improves efficiency.

Explain how its taking away things such as labor from us. I have an App on my iPod Touch that keeps track of what I eat, my exercise, how many miles I run / swim. if anything, its helping me stay active because I dont have to struggle to memorize my daily routines. Technology is not taking away labor, people are just getting lazier.

Three words: Automatic-flushing urinals.
Yes, there are many problems that can be solved by continuing this trend of constant technological innovation, but the people in charge keep putting their technological skills in the wrong places. Really, automatic-flushing urinals, toilets, and sinks are just plain stupid; God forbid we strain our muscles by actually turning a knob, we've got motion sensors to flush for us.

Also, the Red Box has devastated the market for video rental stores. Now we can just push a few buttons on this box and get the movie we want, so now there is no more need for rental stores, so all the jobs that were involved in the running of those stores (cashier, clean-up, re-shelving the returned videos, etc.) are no longer necessary. Because of this, the Red Box has made renting movies easier at the expense of the job security of so many people; this also worsens the economy by raising the unemployment rates and lowering the number of jobs available for those who need them.
Netflix and the countless Youtube-style websites aren't helping either; people can watch all the programming they want for free just by logging onto various websites, so less and less people need to go out and buy or rent the DVDs of the programs they want; this means the companies that make these programs ad movies lose a lot of the profits they would have otherwise gained as a result of DVD sales.

Aegon

Definitely not. Technology has been mostly beneficial, and I only think it'll have gone too far when we replace all body parts with mechanical ones. And start screaming "Delete!" or "This is the age of steel!".

Zibdas

not bad
It'll be too far when the robot apocolypse comes...
Strike that, when the Robot Apocolypse comes with toasters that can shoot laser shaped cake.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Hardly, we can't even send our own species to the nearest planet.

legendarypokemonmaster

Three words: Automatic-flushing urinals.
Yes, there are many problems that can be solved by continuing this trend of constant technological innovation, but the people in charge keep putting their technological skills in the wrong places. Really, automatic-flushing urinals, toilets, and sinks are just plain stupid; God forbid we strain our muscles by actually turning a knob, we've got motion sensors to flush for us.
Technology enables laziness. I don't know why we are becoming so dependent on it, especially for stupid stuff like this.
Also, the Red Box has devastated the market for video rental stores. Now we can just push a few buttons on this box and get the movie we want, so now there is no more need for rental stores, so all the jobs that were involved in the running of those stores (cashier, clean-up, re-shelving the returned videos, etc.) are no longer necessary. Because of this, the Red Box has made renting movies easier at the expense of the job security of so many people; this also worsens the economy by raising the unemployment rates and lowering the number of jobs available for those who need them.
Netflix and the countless Youtube-style websites aren't helping either; people can watch all the programming they want for free just by logging onto various websites, so less and less people need to go out and buy or rent the DVDs of the programs they want; this means the companies that make these programs ad movies lose a lot of the profits they would have otherwise gained as a result of DVD sales.
Machines are gradually replacing workers. This has been happening in factories for years. Some people may say it is good, and someday people will never have to work again(doubt it), but I don't think we should become so dependent on technology.

VizardBlue

no, you are dead.
Yes. The lulzsec hackings are proof.

What are you talking about? The LulzSec hackings aren't proof that techonlogy has gone too far, their proof that people are lazy and can't be bothered to not use one password for every account they use on everything, or just in general make their accounts more secure

legendarypokemonmaster

What are you talking about? The LulzSec hackings aren't proof that techonlogy has gone too far, their proof that people are lazy and can't be bothered to not use one password for every account they use on everything, or just in general make their accounts more secure
Who said that they used one password for everything?

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
No, we still have a lot to accomplish which our technology still has no capability to bring us those accomplishments. That's pretty much what a lot of people on this thread are saying. "No, not until..."
Never mind I found a better argument.
no not really

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!

Shadow XD001

Yeah, there's much improvements that can be done upon the current technologies. I mean, just look at how far video games have come!

As for the limit, we don't necessarily know that yet but it will be when robots do our work for us

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
back in the 90s everyone thought that by now we would all have flying cars. Even to the point when I was 10 a car salesman said he might sell me a flying car in a few years.(and no I was not that gullable to believe him) So it hasn't come that far

Somebody invented a flying car in the 70's. It just never caught on.