• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the Bike become a totally pointless item?

bones090

< brav man i is sick
I use the bike quite often. I guess it's for when I'm too lazy to run all the time.

Rocketeer

K-9 Brigade
The only time I use the bike (in White) is for hatching eggs.
It's wayyyy too fast imo, I can't control it.

Would you rather hold B while going back and forth hatching your eggs? Suit yourself.

Agreed, I'd rather drive around in circles down a straight long path, but that's just me

Noheart

The Abysswalker
The bike is faster than the running shoes. The only advantage with running is that you can do that indoors, but outside whilst traveling the bike is far superior in comparison.

Sea Swampert

being piratey
Aye, I'm beginning to see that it's not quite so useless as I thought. The egg thing for one, up and down near Solecean town....(it was there right?), but I do find I just don't use it coz I prefer running.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
The bike is definitely still useful. The running shoes are not as fast, plus you have to hold down B.

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
I used it a lot Yellow and Diamond but very rarely in HG because I love walking with my Pokémon.

It is still usefull, mainly because it is faster than the running shoes.

The breeding part is somewhat important too.

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
I actually use the bike more now that poison doesn't happen post-battle.

Zach74

Haunters gonna haunt
I just use the bike to hatch eggs.

I can just watch TV or something while cycling up and down (or left and right depending on the game.)

ASB

Weather Team Hater
I wish the bike in 5th gen was as fast as (if not faster than) the mach bike or the bike in 4th gen's high gear (mainly for egg hatching and getting through long routes fast). I often run simply because bike music is always so annoying. If I must ride it, I go right outside of the area in which I plan to use it, get on it, and re-enter to get the better music (heck, some pokemon music is pretty good :p)

katnissplant

A Really Weird Plant
I think that it's not as important as it has been in past games. But it's still pretty important for breeding and egg-hatching. And of course it's fun to ride on the bridges!

It's a shame though that the best bike music(Black and White's) is probably for the bike that you use the least.

Kalosian

So long
I still find the bike very useful, despite the introduction of the Running Shoes. However, I do prefer Bikes that have some sort of twist, like the Mach/Acro Bikes in R/S/E or the ability to change gear in D/P/P. The bikes in FR/LG, HG/SS and B/W are a little disappointing in comparison.

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
And why would you think bikes are pointless? True, the slower no-twist bikes are really annoying, but at least they're faster than Running Shoes. And I think the music is pretty good.

Also, to Piekid11, in FR/LG and I assume every game before D/P, you can't run indoors. So, your only reason why running shoes are better is invalid (unless you're playing D/P/Pt or (maybe) B/W) (Parantheses overuse FTW! I think that's the second time I wrote that)

Last edited:
Not really.
The only times I'll use my bike (in any Pokemon game) will be if I know there's not going to be patches of grass (or sand (in the desert area in BW)) blocking my way. Otherwise, I'd just walk/run.