• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the Bike become a totally pointless item?

Canto

The bike is still really handy for egg hatching and Audino hunting, among other things.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
The bike is still really handy for egg hatching and Audino hunting, among other things.

Agreed but I think that this gen, not so much 4th gen, there are far less bike friendly routes (ironic since it is based off of new york city) besides the bridges in a lot of cases.

No.............. (extra periods for message being too short)

SharKing

Sharks Gotta Swim...
As long as the Bike remains faster than the Running Shoes and refuses to put you through the burden of constantly holding down the B button, the obvious answer to this question is:

NO.

I think the bike is very useful especially for; getting a pokemon to like you (return), raising a pokemon in the day care (I read a LOT of papers), and definitely for hatching eggs.

I do wish we could get a upgrade bike with a model similar to that of the one in pokemon colloseum. Maybe we could have smaller pokemon ride in the side cart.

Heck I still miss the acro and mach bikes from the third gen.

drlb26

Let's GO!
The bike is very useful for me alittle to fast in BW, when trying to go inside a building. and especially when i'm trying hatch eggs.

Spade616

The Bike...your trusty get every fast item of Gen I and II. Has it become a pointless item thanks to the running shoes?
I know there have a been a few things it's been used for in the recent gens such as getting up slippy hills and the such, but why do we still have it?

how can it be pointless when its still WAYYY faster than running shoes and you dont have to hold a button to activate it.. ???????????????

eonmaster_457

No. Having to hold down the B button for the running shoes can get a bit painful on the fingers when you press it for prolonged periods of time. Besides, it's a classic item already. It's irreplaceable, especially the long time players, who probably got used to it during the first few generations.

However, I just want to note that the bicycle seems to run too fast, and becomes a bit hard to control sometimes. Or is that just me? :/

Sea Swampert

being piratey
No. Having to hold down the B button for the running shoes can get a bit painful on the fingers when you press it for prolonged periods of time. Besides, it's a classic item already. It's irreplaceable, especially the long time players, who probably got used to it during the first few generations.

However, I just want to note that the bicycle seems to run too fast, and becomes a bit hard to control sometimes. Or is that just me? :/

Well thats the thing, I'm a long term player but I find I haven't used it as much since the 3rd generation, except for the obvious points made above.

eonmaster_457

Well thats the thing, I'm a long term player but I find I haven't used it as much since the 3rd generation, except for the obvious points made above.

Wow, really? For me, I've developed a weird habit that when I get out of buildings, I automatically use SELECT and/or Y to access my bike. I only get off my bike when walking would be more convenient (ie. tall grass in 4th gen, and the balancing bridge thing in 5th gen). I don't know. Must be a personal thing.

Also, as part of that habit, I usually mount on my bike and go to another route and come right back, just so the BG music reverts to the route/town's original tune. The bicycle tune gets annoying very quickly, for some reason.

I use it as soon as it's available, it's the fastest way to travel short of flying. Breeding and hatching would take forever without the bike.

NinjaJesus

Johto Fanboy
No, of course not. Its faster then the running shoes and its great for hatching eggs
And also, i think the hgss way of just tapping your shoes or selected key item (usually bike) was a great aspect and i dont think they should have taken it out. Its funny though i am so used to holding b while running i never pressed the button

Last edited:
Wow, really? For me, I've developed a weird habit that when I get out of buildings, I automatically use SELECT and/or Y to access my bike. I only get off my bike when walking would be more convenient (ie. tall grass in 4th gen, and the balancing bridge thing in 5th gen). I don't know. Must be a personal thing.

Don't feel alone, I do the exact same thing

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
I don't really use the bike except for long straight routes and egg hatching, I really miss the acro bike and bike specific routes.

Dark Eevee

Also, as part of that habit, I usually mount on my bike and go to another route and come right back, just so the BG music reverts to the route/town's original tune. The bicycle tune gets annoying very quickly, for some reason.
Wow, I do both. I love the bike.

Legendary Dreams

Same, except now in Gen V I also get off the bike to get to shaking grass. The bike is so hard to turn on time, and any additional steps contributes possibility to running to something before hitting the shaking grass.