• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

randomspot555

heck yeah it lost its touch. What they need to do is to make a new anime series for the fans but give it a dark theme to it.

What part of Pokemon makes you think a "dark theme" would make even a little bit of sense?

This is Pokemon, a kids franchise. You're watching the wrong show expecting a dark, violent, or serious plot.

Shadow Gamer

The Shadow Trainer
I think the show went downhill during the Hoenn episodes. I didn't hate the Hoenn episodes and Ash's team at that time was pretty good but it seemed like they were starting to amercanize the show and remove a lot of it's japanese style which I didn't like.

Ampy

Light The Stars
One thing I can say... I like Dawn and May way better then Misty... I don't like the new theme song that much... it's ok but the old one was better

Maylu Sakurai

Dawn's ultimate Fan!
Ehh. They're both running gags. And both relied on Brock's presence. Without him, there is no running gag like that.

Personally, I wouldn't change those kinds of running gags. I might reduce them to some degree if I were in charge, but they're still kind of appealing to me (and likely to kids). Come on. How can you hate Croagunk's Poison Jab That Never Really Poisons Brock, or Misty's Ear Pull of Death?

I think the series has lost alot of its touch (not all of it mind you, but alot). If you want to, go ask elementary school kids around your neighborhood how they like the show, and see if they say they still watch Pokemon, or if they moved onto other things. Alot of them nowadays watch shows like Zack and Cody and other ridiculous Disney shows over Pokemon. Quite sad, huh?

As for Japanese fans, I can't speak for them, because I don't live in Japan. But I imagine there are other Animes out there now that are competing with Pokemon on some level (such as Onegai My Melody, which tends to have way more interesting and creative plots).
Disney got kids to watch there junk and another possibility could be they seen hoenn and thinks OMG this is stupid May and hoenn seemed to be the doom of pokemon thankgoodness they ditched her at end of season 9 and borught in dawn she seemed to spark up the series again i was gonna rent a pokemon DVD out of redbox every one of them was gone so i went and downloaded the stuff

shaq-attack

.:~:._.:~:.
Ever since Johto, yes.
I remember when Pokemon actually used to be funny and entertaing, now it's just a bunch if repetitive dribble. Replacing Misty and the old voice actors was also a big slap to the face.

The only time I really keep track of the anime is if a main character catches/releases a Pokemon or when a Pokemon movie come out.

Last edited:

gyarados151

Ace ninja trainer
the more new series made, the more they will kill the anime, if you ask me, about 2 generations is right, any more than that and its overkill, although the games are still fun.

TheFarmboy

Hmmmm, well, when the Johto-Advanced Arches came along, I loved the show. But when repetition started, with the CoTD's, Team Rocket appearing in every episode, and such, I think it could use something refreshing, to amke it more original

I think the entire series blew up when they got rid of Misty. i mean come on, Misty and Ash liked eachother and now Ash has to meet characters from the video game series. i still dont know why Misty had to leave.

Rex Kamex

I think the series has lost alot of its touch (not all of it mind you, but alot). If you want to, go ask elementary school kids around your neighborhood how they like the show, and see if they say they still watch Pokemon, or if they moved onto other things. Alot of them nowadays watch shows like Zack and Cody and other ridiculous Disney shows over Pokemon.

Pokemon's not the fad anymore. (But it's still popular.)

Quite sad, huh?

I honestly have to say no. Simply because I'm fine with them watching what they want. (And because I'm fine with watching those shows.)

As for Japanese fans, I can't speak for them, because I don't live in Japan. But I imagine there are other Animes out there now that are competing with Pokemon on some level (such as Onegai My Melody, which tends to have way more interesting and creative plots).

There were always shows in Japan competing with Pokemon, but it's still popular there too. Japan broke a Guiness World Record related to the Shaymin movie. And while you do get event Pokemon (I believe more than one) by seeing the movie, can people honestly say that that was the only key factor so many people watched the movie? I personally don't think so.

SBaby said:
Pokemon did die for a bit when season 6 started and started back up again after season 10 started May really did not care for pokemon she rather make trips around the world or be a fashion model

She just said she'd rather travel, nothing about a fashion model though. And even though she lives in a world full of Pokemon and her dad is a Pokemon-owning gym leader, I didn't mind that she didn't like Pokemon. (That's not unlike many people in the real world. -__-)

this is what probably killed pokemon for awhile

May got over her dislikes of Pokemon in only a few episodes. In fact, she was pretty much over it by the first episode of the Hoenn arc.

and then season 10 comes around and Dawn the popularity started to return Dawn cared for her Pokemon and treated them with loving care

So did May. Even since episode one of AG, the Hoenn saga. There wasn't a single Pokemon of hers she didn't care for.

Dawn is what saved pokemon from its doom

But it wasn't doomed...

Dawn is good looking has a flattering personality

Those are both opinions, so not every kid agrees. (As for good looking... I don't think she's ugly, not even by cartoon standards, and her personality's what I thought it would be but in any cases doesn't impress me. But that's just me.)

and cared for pokemon

Paul doesn't care for his Pokemon though...
as for team rocket its gtting annoying every region they try to get Pikachu and deliver Pikachu to giovani and fail everytime to do it seriousy get someone else

Yeaaaaaah... but they've been doing this nearly every Kanto episode, so one could argue about the repetition back then too.

I think the entire series blew up when they got rid of Misty. i mean come on, Misty and Ash liked eachother

The writers barely did anything with that whole idea, anyway...

and now Ash has to meet characters from the video game series.

Misty's from the video game series.

i still dont know why Misty had to leave.

Sadly, for eye candy reasons. (The former Pokemon director guy said that. Or whatever he was...)

Maylu Sakurai said:
Disney got kids to watch there junk and another possibility could be they seen hoenn and thinks OMG this is stupid May and hoenn seemed to be the doom of pokemon thankgoodness they ditched her at end of season 9 and borught in dawn she seemed to spark up the series again i was gonna rent a pokemon DVD out of redbox every one of them was gone so i went and downloaded the stuff

Both May and Dawn did the same thing- coordinating. One just dressed up when she did it.

randomspot555 said:
This is Pokemon, a kids franchise. You're watching the wrong show expecting a dark, violent, or serious plot.

The Mewtwo movie tried doing that... =P

You can say at least they did something...

Last edited:

Arceusgamer14

I still find the episodes entertaining but I think it's the dub that's getting anime irretating because in Japan Pokemon is the most popular kids show, (I mean, Pokemon movies play in theaters and the Pokemon movies that release in other countries go directly on DVDs) possibly 4kids & PUSA are refusing to keep all the good old JP BGM with familiar music from the games and replacing the JP music with Horrible, boring, BGM music making the filler episodes more boring then in Japan, so I don't the show is losing it's touch I think it's just in the U.S that the people grown tired of watching the dub fillers they just want to wait for Pokemon movies or something like that. But yeah the filler episodes are kinda boring & pointless at times.

CliveKoopa

heck yeah it lost its touch. What they need to do is to make a new anime series for the fans but give it a dark theme to it.

That would be interesting. They could have new characters but with the same Pokemon and places. They could also get rid of the "newly discovered pokemon" concept and the censorship what really annoys me.

Rex Kamex

i think it went downhill ever since hoenn episodes :/ now is just so repetitive that its kinda boring

It's been repetitive since Kanto, though.

I still find the episodes entertaining but I think it's the dub that's getting anime irretating because in Japan Pokemon is the most popular kids show,

I... don't think that's true. It is popular, but I don't think it's the most popular kids show in Japan.

(I mean, Pokemon movies play in theaters and the Pokemon movies that release in other countries go directly on DVDs) possibly 4kids & PUSA are refusing to keep all the good old JP BGM with familiar music from the games and replacing the JP music with Horrible, boring, BGM music making the filler episodes more boring then in Japan,

I don't think all of the dub music is horrible, but I do agree that filler episodes would be more entertaining if they had more Japanese BGM. The Japanese music makes the show more interesting, IMO. And it is the original music. It costs money and takes time to use it, but I don't think PCI (I gotta get used to saying that) is unable to use it all as much as it doesn't want to.

so I don't the show is losing it's touch I think it's just in the U.S that the people grown tired of watching the dub fillers they just want to wait for Pokemon movies or something like that. But yeah the filler episodes are kinda boring & pointless at times.

Just to be clear though, even though people get tired of the show in general, new kids still arrive to watch the series.

drtomoe123

Died A Jew
i think it went downhill ever since hoenn episodes :/ now is just so repetitive that its kinda boring

You've obviously never watched the Johto arc.

It costs money and takes time to use it, but I don't think PCI (I gotta get used to saying that) is unable to use it all as much as it doesn't want to.

Yeah, the money and time excuse is pretty stupid. Plenty of other anime that are MUCH less popular and much less profitable retain their original OST when they're localized...yet, only the anime directed towards children get their soundtracks removed/altered.

Last edited:

say

Pale Moonlit Face
Nostalgia jumped the shark eons ago. Granted, it didn't jump it successfully, so it got a limb torn off by the shark in the process and had to get a leg amputated. Now everybody calls it "No-leg-stalgia", and it gets made fun of every day for being a limp excuse for a being whose only way of transportation is a wheelchair in the form of folks who think pity badges and releases and wretched pacing were forms of entertainment.

Weirdo.

BTW, i love watching the Anime and movies. I don't think it had lost it's touch. It still brought excitement on my spines.

I have to agree that the pokemon anime isn't quite the same anymore. I remember sitting watchng pokemon with my sister when I has little. The actual animetion has gotten better but it's just not the same. I do like watching the anime though it's rather fun. Has the anime lost it's touch? No, I wouldn't say so. But has the anime changed? Yes, but to some people it's been changed for better and for the worse.