• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I think it's the worst thinking of them to do that not a man will sing the opening!!

I actually think the new woman singing is a godsend. The male band were so cheesy. This woman has a nice calm voice that really suits the songs she's singing.

Iota

Honestly, I've never been a HUUUGE fan of the anime. Don't get me wrong--I like it a lot, I just like the games more. (Which is why you will almost never find me here.) But, anyway, I think the Pokemon series is still good. Not as good as it was...like...11-12 years ago, but, all in all, I still like it.

Azereus

The writers need to make Ash more goofy like he used too. I recently watched a Johto episode where Ash was reminiscing a moment he had with Gary. Gary asked Ash if he knew what philosophical meant and Ash replied " What's that ..Is that a new Pokemon?" I actually laughed out loud( I know it's not that funny but still). I just miss the humour that Ash encompassed.

randomspot555

The writers need to make Ash more goofy like he used too. I recently watched a Johto episode where Ash was reminiscing a moment he had with Gary. Gary asked Ash if he knew what philosophical meant and Ash replied " What's that ..Is that a new Pokemon?" I actually laughed out loud( I know it's not that funny but still). I just miss the humour that Ash encompassed.

That's not goofy. That's him being ignorant or forgetful, both traits that he still has.

HoennMaster

What do you have against a woman singing an opening theme song?

Don't mind Ash-kid, he always says these kinds of things.

Also I waited a year to a season to come, and now only 3 months.

Your the only person on the planet to complain about not having to wait that long for new episodes. What is your problem? If you want to wait so badly then move to the UK or Australia.

And why the opening begins with Dawn's eyes???

Who honestly gives a damn.

after Misty left the show went down hill. its starting to recover now that theres no more May and Dawns in it but seeing as DP is almost over Dawn will proberly leave and another girl who loves contests will join.

Honestly, I don't think it's "lost its touch" at all'; if anything, it's found it. While I personally don't watch the show as much these days, I do admit that it has improved vastly in terms of story structure and character development. Sure, the old formulaic episodes/characters are still present to a degree, and some characters seem to have become Flanderised a bit over the years, but all in all, the series as a whole is in a better place than it was.

The addition of better-developed recurring characters and more arc-based plot structure in the Sinnoh episodes stands out as a huge step in the right direction, and I imagine that things will only get better from there (slowly, mind you; it did take quite some time to get there). Honestly, were it not for the grating PUSA dub voices (with the sole exception of Jimmy Zoppi's Meowth) and the series's continued tendency to ignore the games' male protagonists (of course, I've been barking up that tree since 2003, and I'm not foolish enough to expect a change any time soon), I'd probably go back to watching regularly again. But, regardless of my admittedly petty problems with it, the show is undeniably better.

surrender

I think a major difference between the newer episodes as opposed to the classics is how witty the characters have become. Alot of the dialogue is snarkier, more clever and there's also something about how Team Rocket says gaga...

Melody93

<--Yay New me!
I like how they been mention past episodes like the Thunder stone, Butterfree release and Pikachu getting sick at the begining of Hoenn.

I've also been rewatching the pokemon series and noticing the changes and the things that are still the same. Oddly I don't feel like the things they've changed are bad and that the things they kept are good. It still interests me, Ash has really become my favorite character and yes he has change but keeps the things i like about him dense (like with not knowing whose Sabrina's father is), hotheaded, passionate, caring etc...

So in all for me It's hasn't lost it's touch, But I can understand that changes like the new girls and VA replace and unchanges like same plot with TR and bad filler epis. It's a kids show so you have to be patience.

crisiscore

ZAP CANNON
I think the newer episodes are better than the old ones even though the old episodes were "classics". There's more of a plot now and they try to develop each character and pokemon as the series go on as opposed to before when they mainly focused on ash.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
What do you have against a woman singing an opening theme song?
The feeling is that the song is not on Ash anymore. Also they are showing us Zoey in the song and not Paul.

Firstly if you think its that bad then don't bother watching it! This is what annoys me people complain about the animé and then still watch it! Pointless! There's no point in watching it unless you enjoy it or have to for some reason or not!
I meant that the songs in the episode are usually new and not good as the olds.

Last edited:

PinkPantsMan

It gets to repeative these days. And Pikachus fat design was funnier :(

And in Holland we still got the same voices as we had in the start for almost everyone. Meowth + James got a new voice and Gary + Oak keep changing every few seasons. But that doesn't really changed a thing about enjoying the series (or not enjoying).

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I don't mind the woman singer. I like it because it's a change of pace. That said japan has women sing the majority of their theme tunes.

I'm fine with the anime. I'm enjoying it alot now these days ever since I stopped comparing and analysing things like voices, music and animation.

I'm okay with both sets of VA's. I've gotten so use to the current ones that I can watch a PUSA dub and get the same enjoyment out of it as a 4kids dub. I can even switch between the 2 with ease.^-^

That said I have season 1 to 10 on DVD and movies 1- 11 on DVD aswell as the specials (chronicles, Mystery dungeon explorer of time and space special ect.). I'm going through them bit by bit. I only finished season 1 and the first movie a little while ago and am onto season 2. I do take small breaks so I don't wear myself out on it. I mean I'm also watching season 11 on TV so it's easy to get worn out on it at the moment. Don't want to overdo it.

Though I am enjoying myself alot. So the spark hasn't gone. It hasn't lost it's touch for me. I tend to like the later seasons for the small plots that happen like paul and Chimchar and season 1 for it's slap stick comedy. Season 1 was very focused on slapstick comedy since it just brought out one joke after the other. It's less focused on battles. It's fun to watch due to the different focus point back then.

Last edited:
Out of all honesty, I don't think Pokemon has lost its touch at all; as its been said here before, people who believe that may actually just be growing up and are not so interested in it anymore. Its kinda sad that sometimes we can lose interest in the things we once loved, or don't find them as interesting as 4 or 5 years ago but unfortunately its just apart of growing up.

As for me; I'm still in love with the anime xD, sure things are different and a set back was taking Misty out of it in the first place; I'd love to see her return sometime, but back on track; The touch and magic is still there, personally I think Pokemon is just as good as what it was when the very first episode 'I Choose You!' aired. Perhaps some of us might just need a break from the Anime and then in time come back to it. I've been with Pokemon ever sicne the very first episode aired and I seriously cannot see its special place being replaced in my heart.

So I'm saying even after all these years Pokemon still has that magic touch xD.

Shinnie-tan

I don't think Pokemon has lost it's touch either. It's still the innocent, fun anime people watched when they were kids and it's just because they're older now, some of them don't enjoy the morals and such Pokemon brings to the table.

I personally think it has gotten better. The plots are stronger, the battles are better and the character development and relations are stronger too, especially with the trainers and their pokemon. The only thing I miss from early seasons is Team Rocket actually being a threat- we saw that in "Do I Hear a Ralts" but it hasn't come up as often.

I'll have to agree I think; it has gotten better, but you're correct about Team Rocket; in earlier episodes they were a threat, their humor is great but I think these days they may just be on the show for more of a comedy touch; I do really miss when they actually gave the group and others around them a reason to feel threatened; their plots and attempts seem more funny these days than what they did in earlier episodes. But at least they are still around xD, Pokemon wouldn't be the same without them.

~HikariSatoshi~

ღ ヒカリ ღ
I personally love the anime and don't think it lost it's touch at all. It's just the change of regions (and main girl; and plots) and if you hate the dub voices, watch the Japanese episodes. There's no reason to really complain over the pokemon anime and its "touch". If you dont like the series now, just don't watch.

Vernikova

Champion
I don't think that the anime has lost its touch. I think that it has actually gotten better since Diamond and Pearl started. The fillers in Diamond and Pearl are more enjoyable in my opinion even though there are some boring episodes. The anime really doesn't lose its shine though if you really enjoy it or if you're watching it for the first time though. That could be a reason whynso many people complain so much about it.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Ash-kid said:
I think it's the worst thinking of them to do that not a man will sing the opening!!

One word: Issues.

You know if you hate the new openings that much you can always press the "MUTE" button on your remote until the opening ends.

Now back on topic:

No the anime hasn't lost its touch. The people who watch the anime have lost their touch. They've grown a liking to shows with more mature plots.

-Kanto was all about comedy. All the randomness got us hooked into the show. They had to do something to get us interesting.

-In the Orange Islands they seemed to focus on battling a bit more

-Johto had so many filler. I guess they were trying to focus on showcasing the new Pokemon so kids could think they were cool and want one.

-Hoenn tried to start something new. They tried to focus less on the comedy and more on a somewhat maturer plot with crushes (Contestshipping) and death (Latios anyone?). Granted it didn't work as well as they hope because they were experimenting.

-The Battle Frontier was the season when they started to get it right and when the show IMO got really good. True they had a big shift with PUSA but all in all I thought it was the best season.

-In Sinnoh now they got it down better and they are still experimenting (with darker characters). Once again one of the better seasons.

Don't get me wrong I love the Kanto eps. That's what I used to run home to afterschool every weekday. The anime is doing better it's just that some fans have moved on to other things which they think are better.