• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

Rex Kamex

I'm fine with female singers for the dub... I just don't like the songs themselves.

I think in Johto Pokemon lost its touch but gained it. However my interest of the series has generally declined slowly ever since May left (because that particular instance of advertising was one

I must say though... imagine if someone who stopped watching Pokemon since the Kanto, Orange Islands, and maybe mid-Johto days decided to watch an episode of Pokemon today. Imagine them thinking of the original classic theme song... "I wanna be the very best..." with Ash, Misty, and Brock. They turn on the TV, watch the show and there's... this random new theme song, and everything else in the series is basically the same except there's that blue-haired girl there instead of good ol' Misty. And Ash still hasn't evolved his Pikachu!?!? (And I swear, I doubt the PUSA music will help them think better of the show.) And what's with the voices? "I don't remember Ash sounding like that!" Stuff like that wouldn't easily win them back over to the show.

catzeye said:
The people who watch the anime have lost their touch.

How is it that people losing interest in the show have "lost their touch"? Or do you just mean interest?

-Kanto was all about comedy. All the randomness got us hooked into the show. They had to do something to get us interesting.

Despite the good about Sinnoh, I can honestly believe that Kanto's beat Sinnoh on funniness. Although I haven't watched all of Sinnoh yet, no one here has.

-Johto had so many filler. I guess they were trying to focus on showcasing the new Pokemon so kids could think they were cool and want one.

Kids were already thinking Pokemon were cool.

-Hoenn tried to start something new. They tried to focus less on the comedy and more on a somewhat maturer plot with crushes (Contestshipping)

I don't even know if I can say it's even "somewhat" mature, 'cause shipping/romance as simple as Pokemon are way too simple to be mature. (In any case, there was that one guy who was gonng ask a girl to marry her back on the Whirl Islands in Johto.)

and death (Latios anyone?).

That was a Johto movie starring Hoenn Pokemon.

Granted it didn't work as well as they hope because they were experimenting.

I don't get it...

-The Battle Frontier was the season when they started to get it right and when the show IMO got really good. True they had a big shift with PUSA but all in all I thought it was the best season.

That's where I disagree, but to each his own.

-In Sinnoh now they got it down better and they are still experimenting (with darker characters). Once again one of the better seasons.

No matter how you look at it, Sinnoh isn't "one season", but anyway... adding on to my example from before, I wonder if that same person were to watch Pokemon after quitting for many years, and that person saw an episode with J in it? It would be interesting...

Pom Pom

I got the season 1 DVDs and I must say, the first season is more entertaining. I can't decide what it is about it, but it is just more engaging.

Rex Kamex

-Kanto was all about comedy. All the randomness got us hooked into the show. They had to do something to get us interesting.

This was it. It still had other things, like Ash receiving many badges out of pity, but at least there were more random moments. (Although I gotta say that by late Kanto the randomness lessened a bit, IMO.)

catzeye

Writer's Block
This was it. It still had other things, like Ash receiving many badges out of pity, but at least there were more random moments. (Although I gotta say that by late Kanto the randomness lessened a bit, IMO.)

But thats what we loved right? Why we rushed home afterschool to watch it?

Like I said they had to do something to get our attention. Instead of having a trainer who knew everything about everything and could win with no real effort, we get a naive trainer who gets badges because he saved the gym.

The randomness, slapstick comedy, pity badges....all to make people like the franchise more. That was all good and of course some people still want that.

yeminied

I don't think that it's lost its touch, you're just getting older.

I have been watching the anime right through since I was really young and still find it entertaining, sure it has changed a lot from the beginning, it's inevitable but I don't think that it changed for the worst, more likely for the better.

Woot rank up and my 100th post on SPPf. I shall remember this day.d

Last edited:

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
It hasn't lost it's touch. It's still the glorious turdfest it was a decade ago. But a turdfest with ice creame now.

Just like the games haven't lost their touch. Look at how MANY people went apecrap over the fact Kris was replaced by Soul in HGSS? Despite it being a GOLD AND SILVER remake not a CRYSTAL remake.

thunderblade12

Am I the only one who honestly thought the Kanto and Johto sagas were crap, Hoeen got slightly better, and Sinnoh is the first saga that makes you say "hey, this is actually an alright show"?

Seriously, the only reason people thought the first few seasons of pokemon were some masterpiece was because they were younger when they watched it. When I was like 10 I thought Digimon was the best thing ever to air on TV. They grew out of it and now all of their "friends" will call them gay or some other clever gem like that for admitting they like the show.

Kanto and Orange Islands: Terrible character handling. Boring battles for the most part. Ash vs Blaine and Ash vs Drake were really the only fights that weren't boring(short), comical, resulted in Ash getting pitied, or got interupted.

Johto: Aside from the familiar terrible handling of the characters and Ash's team? There where sooo many pointless episodes where nothing happened to progress the plot or develop the characters. Most of them weren't very interesting either. Always Ash and co. meeting a new pokemon, Team Rocket doing some crap, and Ash and co. stopping them.

Hoeen and Kanto Battle Frontier: It improved in that we got May, a fresh, new character that obtained a ton of character development. It also introduced a second competitive tournement, the Grand Festival, which meant more battles then ever. They began giving most of Ash's pokemon equal screentime and time to shine, unlike his Johto team, and even handled May's team pretty well. Ash didn't have any recurring rivals, the villians didn't really get much of a storyline, and there where still plenty of filler episodes where absolutely nothing happened.

Sinnoh:

The teams are handled great(All of Ash's pokemon are used equally)

the rivals are all handled pretty good(Paul, Barry, Zoey, Kenny, etc)

there are hardly any episodes where absolutely nothing happens(New attacks, character introductions, etc. save certain episodes from being completely worthless)

even the filler episodes that are in this saga are pretty interesting(The Spiritomb, Rotom and Bibarel episodes for example)

The villians seem to be getting handled pretty nicely

The battles are all just great. We get more than usual with the addition of characters like Paul and Barry

Hell, even characters like Brock and Jessie are being handled nicely in this saga. Jessie is winning contests and Brock has a minor(possibly major pretty soon) role in the Team Galactic arc.

Shinnie-tan

Am I the only one who honestly thought the Kanto and Johto sagas were crap, Hoeen got slightly better, and Sinnoh is the first saga that makes you say "hey, this is actually an alright show"?

Nope. Actually, I've only gotten back into the anime this year and watching all the old episodes, I have to say that Hoenn + Sinnoh >>>>>> Kanto and Johto easily. Sure, there are little things from Kanto and Johto(well, maybe not Johto) but for the most part, the good stuff is all in the later seasons.

I think Kanto was designed to be a fun, silly anime with no real purpose and Johto was just one long stream of boring episodes - it wasn't until the Larvitar arc and League matches that things started to get interesting again. Hoenn was the beginning of the anime writers figuring out what made the show good and Sinnoh tops it all since they've added actual antagonists to the show.

I think its not as good. I HATED hoenn, LOVED Kanto/Johto.... and think that the Sinnoh saga is pretty good~
I guess the reason I love Kanto so much is because of how much I loved it when I was younger, It's special to me~

Zazie

So 1991
Seriously, the only reason people thought the first few seasons of pokemon were some masterpiece was because they were younger when they watched it.

As has been said before some people like the older episodes for their silliness. There are people who like the older episodes and they have real reasons why. Some of you need to learn to deal with it and accept other peoples opinions no matter which episodes are their favorite.

thunderblade12

I accept peoples opinions, but that is admittably the case with a lot of people. They only liked it better because they were younger back then.

That's not to say that there aren't people who simply liked it better.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Kanto/Orange are fun to watch because for one thing, all the characters were new and fresh at the time, and Ash was a newbie, and the entire concept of the show just started.

There are things back then I wish were handled better, especially the team handling, but I think the first two seasons are enjoyable. It also did have some more slapstick humor that sadly gets lost as the series progresses.

Johto had some alright episodes but was killed by the tremendous amounts of filler.

Hoenn was a step in the right direction, Battle Frontier a bit better, and DP has been mostly good but there are still some screw-ups from time to time.

bonslyclogsthetoilet

BoomGoesTheDynamite!
Kanto/Orange are fun to watch because for one thing, all the characters were new and fresh at the time

I guess that was exactly it. People didn't have any previous generations to compare to.

That was probably why I actually liked Kanto and Orange alot. To me, Johto was when it went downhill and Hoenn was kinda whatever as well. Sinnoh, I liked a lot as well.

Rex Kamex

But thats what we loved right? Why we rushed home afterschool to watch it?

Sure. I'm not saying it wasn't...

~Spacial_Rendation~ said:
Just like the games haven't lost their touch. Look at how MANY people went apecrap over the fact Kris was replaced by Soul in HGSS? Despite it being a GOLD AND SILVER remake not a CRYSTAL remake.

There might as well not be a girl in these remakes, then, because there wasn't one in Gold and Silver. (And if there's a Battle Tower in Hg/Ss, that'll be another example to mention.)

Besides that, they had Gold, the guy, in the G/S games, then they put him in Crystal, and then they put him in the remakes. In G/S, there wasn't a girl, but there was a girl in Crystal. Yet despite the fact that the game makers used the same guy from all the Johto games they didn't use the same girl from the Johto game. Also despite the fact that making Kris the girl for Crystal made her the Johto girl in the first place. (Until now, anyway.)

And I'm sure that if they had used Kris most people wouldn't be complaining about how they should've used a new girl and all that.

Nothing to do with the thread, but I wanted to throw that out there.

CyberCubes said:
Johto had some alright episodes but was killed by the tremendous amounts of filler.

Even many of the canon episodes seemed boring to me. (And I know the 4Kids music influenced my opinion.) At least two of the movies were at least decent, in my opinion. The Entei one and Latis one.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Even many of the canon episodes seemed boring to me. (And I know the 4Kids music influenced my opinion.) At least two of the movies were at least decent, in my opinion. The Entei one and Latis one.

I always thought the very beginning of Johto was fairly decent. It was around the time Charizard, Squirtle and Heracross left Ash's roster that it went downhill.

Its kinda odd, right when Ash's original Kanto team split up, as well as Heracross being Oak'd, Johto went downhill and became a mundane filler fest.

There are some good episodes in late Johto though, and I do like how Kingler and Snorlax were used mid-region in the Whirl Cup and Sumo tournament, not to mention Claire's Gym, seeing Lapras again, the Larvitar eps and most of the league was good.

Rex Kamex

I always thought the very beginning of Johto was fairly decent.

I felt the same way... except... back then when I was first watching the episodes I didn't know that I'd dislike the arc so much.

It was around the time Charizard, Squirtle and Heracross left Ash's roster that it went downhill.

I think it was somewhere within the Johto League Champions where it went downhill for me...

There are some good episodes in late Johto though, and I do like how Kingler and Snorlax were used mid-region in the Whirl Cup and Sumo tournament, not to mention Claire's Gym, seeing Lapras again, the Larvitar eps and most of the league was good.

I wish the guys who kidnapped Larvitar weren't humorous villains...

poke'_maniac

In my opinion, The anime has gone downhill ever since Veronica Taylor was let go.
The show just isn't exciting anymore, to many fillers. It has taken him 2 years to get 5 badges! I have gotten to the point where I feel sorry for the kids that have to watch this crap they are being fed.
A thing I don't understand is that Ash's Pikachu would have to have reached a level cap. by now, but somehow it is always being rivaled by Ash's other poke'mon.
Ash's team also doesn't seem as attached to him like his others. EX. His Bayleef.

poke'chu

In my opinion, The anime has gone downhill ever since Veronica Taylor was let go.
The show just isn't exciting anymore, to many fillers. It has taken him 2 years to get 5 badges! I have gotten to the point where I feel sorry for the kids that have to watch this crap they are being fed.
A thing I don't understand is that Ash's Pikachu would have to have reached a level cap. by now, but somehow it is always being rivaled by Ash's other poke'mon.
Ash's team also doesn't seem as attached to him like his others. EX. His Bayleef.

I agree none of ash's pokemon really have much of personallitys exceept gliscor and pikachu and he uses pikachu too much we ahould see his other pokemon and if he is such a good trainer why does it take him 20 episodes to get a gym badge there dragging it out to long

randomspot555

I agree none of ash's pokemon really have much of personallitys exceept gliscor and pikachu and he uses pikachu too much we ahould see his other pokemon and if he is such a good trainer why does it take him 20 episodes to get a gym badge there dragging it out to long

Wait, so now Gliscor is the Pokemon that has personality and is always used?

Last week it was Buziel.

Seriously, people are free to not LIKE the characterizations, but I think it's unfair to say that Ash/Satoshi's team is full of Pokemon without personalities. In previous gens, they might have a unique intro episode (like Noctowl) and then it's forgotten about. In this gen, all of them keep being developed. Sure, sometimes they take a backseat for a while. Staravia went quite some time without being heavily developed, but Gliscor kind of got the spotlight in that time. Buziel got a lot of screen time after the trade. Chimchar is usually spotlighted around the time Paul shows up, and so on.