• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

I wouldn't say it's lost it's touch.
But certainly, some things were better back in the beginning, although that may be because of repetition.
I have to say, I miss the old "I'm going to catch every Pokémon and become the world's greatest Pokémon Master" Ash though.
Nowadays, Pokémon Contests seem to share just as much spotlight as Gym Battles. Don't get me wrong here, I love contests, I just wish for a little more focus on Ash's league, that's all. I mean, he hasn't even made it past the Top 8.

Aladar

Dark lord of Sith
I don`t think the anime has lost it`s touch....

The things is that we, older fans, are sometimes sick of the repetition and sick of waitng 12 whole years and Ash still hasn`t won a League.....

It`s not that I don`t watch and like the new sagas- I love all the new things...contests, new pokemon, new characters and the like.

But it just doesn`t feel the same like when I was a little kid watching Ash in the Indigo League in awe....all was awesome back then...or we thought it was awesome because we were little kids and it was the biggest fad back then....

Well, guess we`ll never know XD....

But even if we get to the next saga and still have Ash/Brock/new female coordinator I`ll watch it.

Razzl3erry

PWNawesome.
Well, I do think it has gotten very lame....
But I think that's just because I've gotten older. I mean, I still watch it, of course. Hurrr.

I've watched the older episodes and they are better, obviously. Pfttt.
But, really.

The show still appeals to the age it's meant for, so it's fine.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
as i said, it now focuses on little kids and building charicter. the acting has become horrible. it seems as though they arent really putting any effort in the anime since advanced battle.

ScorpioStarmie

Concert Headbanger
IT has lost it's touch. Now it's more "kiddish" and less funny and violent like japanese anime calls it to be. I think it lost it's shine when they went into the hoenn and after a while in the hoenn it sucked. Max is the most annoying character ever.

I think it has. Now, most of the episodes reuse the whole 'Meet new person/new pokemon that has a problem - Team Rocket tries to steal it - they fail and end up helping the new person/pokemon out' plot. Meh, I guess I would run out of ideas after 500 episodes.

It all went downhill after Johto... IMO.

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
I think Pokemon is actually better then it was before,I really like the Shinoh arc. However,they really need to do something about TR,ever since their games passed they've become side characters,not villians. However,now that HG/SS are coming..

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
I'm sure this has been said dozens of times before, but I just want to remind everyone:

The anime hasn't lost it's touch or anything, if anything it's gotten better.

The reason you guys are all hating on it is that you've gotten older. The anime is still "Ash goes around getting badges, Team Rocket follows". Only now they've added a girl doing Contests and actually bothering to face the game's evil teams.

It hasn't gone downhill, you people have just grown older. Remember, Pokemon is aimed at kids. And always will be. You aren't the target demographic, so you think it's bad. But it's the same as it has always been, and in fact even better.

zeno48

Zaker!
Maybe too older fans but to younger ones it's fairly popular. I think people should just follow the manga if they want to try out something different.

thunderblade12

- After more than 10 years can you really expect them not to lose a little luster and reuse a few plots? I mean look at The Simpsons

- Most of the fans who grew up on it were kids when they first started watching. I was one of them. Of course as a kid you'd be more inclind to just like something without question. As you get older you start to have a wider thought span, analyse things more, and might think something you used to think was "SUPAH KEWL!" is stupid.

- Many fans lost interest just becuse Misty left the show, admit it.

- Pokemon can be considered a "fad". And in all honest the fad started dying pretty early in the Johto saga. Just like Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto after it.

Honestly how many of the original fans actually still watch pokemon? I'd say only about 30%. Back in elementary school nearly EVERYONE was into it. When I was in High school only me and about 6 or 7 of my friends watched it. Then there were these two retro scene kids or some crap that admittably just watched it because of nostalgia. 10 people out of an original 400-500 is hardly impressive.

Seems to me that most of the fans are newcomers these days.

Last edited:

BM14murph

Master Collector
- After more than 10 years can you really expect them not to lose a little luster and reuse a few plots? I mean look at The Simpsons

- Most of the fans who grew up on it were kids when they first started watching. I was one of them. Of course as a kid you'd be more inclind to just like something without question. As you get older you start to have a wider thought span, analyse things more, and might think something you used to think was "SUPAH KEWL!" is stupid.

- Many fans lost interest just becuse Misty left the show, admit it.

- Pokemon can be considered a "fad". And in all honest the fad started dying pretty early in the Johto saga. Just like Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto after it.

Honestly how many of the original fans actually still watch pokemon? I'd say only about 30%. Back in elementary school nearly EVERYONE was into it. When I was in High school only me and about 6 or 7 of my friends watched it. Then there were these two retro scene kids or some crap that admittably just watched it because of nostalgia. 10 people out of an original 400-500 is hardly impressive.

Seems to me that most of the fans are newcomers these days.

Your are enitrely right i see kids going around now loving pokemon but all they know about is DPt and sinnoh and don't really care outside it and just like it the way it is as you said kids will like something without analysing it

It makes ya think that the current games are a bit too much for the kids now like compared to our original 150 pokemon they have 493:O

Well you could see it as just the sinnoh dex nd da two hundred and whatever but eventually they get the national dex and so on nd so forth

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I'm sure this has been said dozens of times before, but I just want to remind everyone:

The anime hasn't lost it's touch or anything, if anything it's gotten better.

The reason you guys are all hating on it is that you've gotten older. The anime is still "Ash goes around getting badges, Team Rocket follows". Only now they've added a girl doing Contests and actually bothering to face the game's evil teams.

It hasn't gone downhill, you people have just grown older. Remember, Pokemon is aimed at kids. And always will be. You aren't the target demographic, so you think it's bad. But it's the same as it has always been, and in fact even better.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I really dont think it has gone downhill. I think it is just as good as it was back in the day.

zeno48

Zaker!
Yes, because Brock is still in the main cast, and for that reason alone I say Brock is responsible for it losing its touch.

I don't agree with you on that. I think it has to do more witht he fact that that's all they do. Go and collect badges, fight gym leaders, enter the sinnoh league or grand festival. They don't win and the whole things starts all over again. I think they need to clarify a bit what Ash wants to do. I mean does he only care about traveling and battling or does he want to win a league and be done from their. I mean it's not clear so i guess many people feel bored since the same thing happens and not a lot new things to keep people watching.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I don't agree with you on that. I think it has to do more witht he fact that that's all they do. Go and collect badges, fight gym leaders, enter the sinnoh league or grand festival. They don't win and the whole things starts all over again. I think they need to clarify a bit what Ash wants to do. I mean does he only care about traveling and battling or does he want to win a league and be done from their. I mean it's not clear so i guess many people feel bored since the same thing happens and not a lot new things to keep people watching.

Yeah, even though I still think the show is still as good as ppl thought it was back in the day, it can get boring seeing the same thing over and over again. Personally I am fine with it, but they could add something new to do in the show. But the question is: what new thing could they add for them to do?

zeno48

Zaker!
Yeah, even though I still think the show is still as good as ppl thought it was back in the day, it can get boring seeing the same thing over and over again. Personally I am fine with it, but they could add something new to do in the show. But the question is: what new thing could they add for them to do?

Not a lot since they will keep this pattern and at some point it turns off people. They have to clarify what it means to become a pokemon master because i think Ash will settle down at some point. He can't continue that way forever because he never talks about what he wants to achieve in life. All he cares about is going on with the gyms and leagues and frontiers. If that's all then yeah people will just eventually stop watching.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Not a lot since they will keep this pattern and at some point it turns off people. They have to clarify what it means to become a pokemon master because i think Ash will settle down at some point. He can't continue that way forever because he never talks about what he wants to achieve in life. All he cares about is going on with the gyms and leagues and frontiers. If that's all then yeah people will just eventually stop watching.

True. Ppl will stop watching it but since a new main group of audience comes in to replace the previous group who outgrown it, I can see them going on for a long time with this pattern, but yeah eventually they need to clarify some stuff in the show.

zeno48

Zaker!
True. Ppl will stop watching it but since a new main group of audience comes in to replace the previous group who outgrown it, I can see them going on for a long time with this pattern, but yeah eventually they need to clarify some stuff in the show.

Their is always a group ready to replace the older generation which helps keep pokemon alive but i will be honest. I have watched the show since the beginning and a lot has changed but why not let Ash win a legue for once. Ash has gained tons of experience yet he fails to defeat his rival and any elite 4 member he has come across. I mean it's nice to see him lose and all but is he ever going to win the pokemon league? I would love for him to capture a legend for once to make things interesting and let other trainer he faces have them to stir things up.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
Yes, because Brock is still in the main cast, and for that reason alone I say Brock is responsible for it losing its touch.

Mehh...as much as I want him to LEAVE, I don't think it's entirely his fault. What I don't agree with is that they keep replacing all the female characters. It's kind of annoying >_>'

Also it's the fact that things have changed so much in the show & some people like it the way it used to be, so a lot of people stopped watching (generally, the older audiences).