• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

J-boogie200

Not at all, although I love the classics the best, Pokemon will never grow old or loose its touch.

With the writers we have and the fans we are, it can never lose its touch.

Characters may have gone and went, but they only really leave if you allow them to.
You determine whether the Anime has lost its touch, not the Anime. It's the viewer's opinions that make Pokemon stay alive, and no opinion is right or wrong.

For example, Misty may be gone, but May and Dawn came and started with contests and that kept me interested.

Ash's old Pokemon are Warriors, but to see his new Pokemon grow, learn new moves, and evolve is breathtaking, honestly.

So you see, Pokemon has changed, but if it were losing its touch, it would have ended a long time ago.

aa_623

I think it has in some ways. I started watching pokemon back when it first began to air way back when I was in second grade, I didn't even know about the games until third grade. I watched all the way until the middle of Johto, mainly because I was growing up and sleeping in more or had things to do; as well as feeling it was a little chldish to watch. I started to watch again aound the time I found out they were coming out with more pokemon. To my surprise, the characters were still in Johto. I watched up until Misty left, and then every now and then when something happens, like Misty returning/Togepi evolving and leaving, and other things along those lines.

I honestly cannot stand the newer episodes. The theme songs are terrible, though the current one is an improvement of the last one. I would actually mute the sound for that one. I feel that it's become never-ending. The characters are superficial and plots predictable. The growth of the characters is so minimal it's sad. I can't stand how Ash crys in practically every episode and how he always says the same thing and gets mad all the time. Though that could just be the horrible voice acting. I mean seriously it doesn't fit the characters; all it does is make them sound fake and nothing more than a joke.
I also think that they should have more villians like J. I'm tired of Team Rocket, they do the same predictable thing. The show would be better if they like retired or quit or something, and focused on something else, like Jessie and contests. They'd still be the same loveable characters, but not the same redundant villians every episode. The new characters are annoying too.

Simply put:
I am nostalgic, it's childish, has bad voice acting, and I miss Misty.

Pika-Boo

Definately lost it's touch. It used to feel more realistic (as weird as that sounds when you're talking about little monsters in balls) the towns and characters were deeper and more real, now it all seems far too....predictable.
The music and voice acting or lack there of are what is really spoiling it.
The music made the show more suspenseful and often gave it a climax, I miss the old soundtrack, can't hum along to the songs the dub plays now.
And the voice acting is awful because they all sound like they're forcing themselves to sound different, but not natural at all.
All in all pokemon is fairly unbearbale these days, I wish another company would overtake the dub and the japanese creators would re-watch the old eps to cry and find the old essence.

Pika-Boo

Lest we forget Pokemon

Definately lost it's touch. It used to feel more realistic (as weird as that sounds when you're talking about little monsters in balls) the towns and characters were deeper and more real, now it all seems far too....predictable.
It was more as if these creatures (pokemon) were just a part of the real world...
The music and voice acting or lack there of are what is really spoiling it.
The music made the show more suspenseful and often gave it a climax, I miss the old soundtrack, can't hum along to the songs the dub plays now.

And the voice acting is awful because they all sound like they're forcing themselves to sound different, but not natural at all.

All in all pokemon is fairly unbearbale these days, I wish another company would overtake the dub and the japanese creators would re-watch the old eps to cry and find the old essence.

I Am Become Death

Sinnoh League Champ
I think they should continue with dawn until the sinnoh saga is done, and then if they do a battle frontier thing, which i have a big feeling that its gonna be in johto -_- they should bring misty along. I miss her, very much.

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
I think the anime has already lost its touch in the dub version since it parted ways with 4kids back in 2006.

Also, I really hate Ash's new (PUSA) voice, because it's not as memorable as his old voice. In fact, it has made him sound way over the top.

Felmarg

Pokemon episodes all follow the same formula nowadays.

1. Meet a new person
2. Befriend new person
3. Have a battle with an antagonist
4. Team Rocket
5. Leave "friend" forever, and never mention them again.

Sometimes these are in a different order! Exiting...

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Pokemon episodes all follow the same formula nowadays.

1. Meet a new person
2. Befriend new person
3. Have a battle with an antagonist
4. Team Rocket
5. Leave "friend" forever, and never mention them again.

Sometimes these are in a different order! Exiting...

The show has always been repetitive and will always be that way.

zeno48

Zaker!
The show has always been repetitive and will always be that way.

Yeah but it wouldn't hurt to try out something new now right? I get that they have that in every show but wouldn't they know by now that people won't stick on that formula forever no matter how exciting they make the following episodes.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
Yeah but it wouldn't hurt to try out something new now right? I get that they have that in every show but wouldn't they know by now that people won't stick on that formula forever no matter how exciting they make the following episodes.

Nope, that wouldnt hurt at all.I would perfer they switch it up some way. But the writers probably dont care what us watchers think

zeno48

Zaker!
Nope, that wouldnt hurt at all.I would perfer they switch it up some way. But the writers probably dont care what us watchers think

Unless the amount of viewers started dropping then they are open to new suggestions lol.

Rex Kamex

Certain people won't, others will, and newer viewers will start watching, just the way it has been.

Unless the amount of viewers started dropping then they are open to new suggestions lol.

While hundreds and thousands of viewers stop watching overtime, hundreds and thousands of new viewers start watching. When it comes to the population of original viewers of Pokemon, yeah, that number's dropped greatly, but currently there are still enough people to make Pokemon still a popular show to watch.

Dark Cacturne

The Road To Victory!
Some episodes are good and some are bad, I've been watching the anime since the very beginning and I'm still satisfied with the episodes they make. Although sometimes they don't get the best out of it, and hereby I mean for example the episode 'Sleepless in pre-battle", that was rather disappointing, and they could have made that episode way better!

But still, I think the anime has enough humour, action and coolness! And that's that ;)

Champion Jared 14

There's all this "character development" and not only for trainers but almost ALL of their pokemon... I think that could be a reason as well...I liked it a bit better when the main cast's pokemon didn't have distinct personalities like Brock's Zubat, Misty's Goldeen, and Ash's Pidgeotto...Which is why I appreciate pokemon like May's Beautifly for not having the most vibrant personality...I think it took a really devastating event for any person or pokemon back in earlier episodes to get some "development".

White Rabbit Redux

Rookie Novelist
They lost me when they tried to humanize every single Pokemon they came across. In the end they are still wild animals and should act as such, like in the games.

litchfield

Johto Traveler
I loved the plot of the old episodes but hate the way the animation is.
I don't like the plot of the current episodes but I like the animation.
To me Anime has been losing it's touch since the start of the Hoenn series.

Shiny Rokon

i've watched pokemon from the beginning like a lot of people on this forum, the first few seasons are great, mainly for nostalgia, same goes for the movies, but if they reproduced those episodes and movies now, i don' think they would be as good as the latests series and movies. Now they don't call rice balls donuts, ash doesn't tell pikachu to use it's electric attack, the battles are better and more accurate, and they don't cut and stuff up episodes as seriously as they did originally, eg the first three movie scores were re-done, the whole scene with mewtwo and Ai was cut. The voice actors changed and that was a shame - more so in the timing, they should have waiting to diamond and pearl, at least then it was a new saga, however i'm use to them now. There are more main characters and they tend to be more mature. I recently watched the first two seasons and enjoyed them, but the new series and movies have better animation, music and characters, as well as being more accurate.