• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

FlameRose

^ I'm a little curious, why?

Also...why does everyone say Kanto was the "darkest" saga? I just want to know because I, personally, find Kanto and Johto the most childish of the regions. Could somebody please elaborate?

randomspot555

Also...why does everyone say Kanto was the "darkest" saga? I just want to know because I, personally, find Kanto and Johto the most childish of the regions. Could somebody please elaborate?

There are some elements that, since the show was going to be over and done with and also wasn't an international hit, are noticeably out of place in contrast with anything that occurs after Kanto. Team Rocket are a bit more of an actual threat in their first half a dozen or so appearances. In the episode featuring Pokemaniac Bill, they use a bazooka to shoot the Giant Dragonite.

But those are really more indicative of a show still finding it's footing rather than it being "dark". I can think of plenty of arguments to say that Sinnoh is darker, due to the mythological plot, Hunter J, and Toxicroak imapling Croagunk.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Kanto had more slapstick comedy and guns were seen in a few episodes.

Watch the ep with Growlithe and the police academy, "Case of the K-9 caper," and the burglar in the ep actually has a handgun.

Looking back, I'm surprised 4kids didn't edit the gun out.

randomspot555

Kanto had more slapstick comedy and guns were seen in a few episodes.

Watch the ep with Growlithe and the police academy, "Case of the K-9 caper," and the burglar in the ep actually has a handgun.

Looking back, I'm surprised 4kids didn't edit the gun out.

There was also an episode where the Town of the Day was simila to a Wild West Ghost Town. The building next to the Pokemon Center has a sign that clearly says "BEER" and it was left in the dub.

philipnova798

Dangerously freaky
Well, I haven't watched a lot of TV anyway, so technically, I can't have a lot to say about the quality.

I will post what I said in another topic based around this subject:

[QUOTE Me:]Ehh, Shinnoh's okay. I hate the animation though. In fact, the only show that has worse animation then the more recent seasons (aside from HB and Filmation's works in the seventies) would have to be Transformers Armada.

And that's bad. [/QUOTE]

In all honest, the only thing bad aside from the Animation nowadays is the the repetitiveness of Teem Rocket. They should have left seasons ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped watching the episodes, it just got dull, and watching an episode became more of a chore.

Sweeney Todd

...with passion. ♥
I feel like I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys and prefers the new series. The overall quality of the show is better. With 493 pokemon, the variety has increased as well as the type of characters. Not all people are aiming to be pokemon masters, there is a variety such as pokemon coordinators, breeders, and etc. Characters have different goals. [rant] The previous sagas can be compared to an antique item, such as a vehicle. If most antique cars were to replicated to exact details and sent into the market, they wouldn't perform as well as newer vehicles in safety, features, and perhaps design. [/rant] Of course, Team Rocket's been annoying ever since after the few few dozen episodes, but they've taken a place in the anime and removing them would be devastating, in my opinion. I'd rather have Team Rocket than Hunter J or Team Galactic. Eventually, the anime will need a complete make over because Ash (same goes for all the other characters) will not remain a kid forever. Eventually, he'll leave and another protagonist will take his place.

Champion Jared 14

I mean, the animation for the older pokemon may have been simpler...but sometimes, less is more, and I think that could apply for that...Sometimes, you can't even tell what a basic attack is gonna look like...Like a basic tackle attack has to be lighted up...Or take down, or double edge...How do you know what's being used? Focus punch, mega punch, mach punch, those attacks will look the same... Swift started as basically white stars, then it was upgraded to golden stars, and then cosmic looking stars, and now it's just too much...to look at...sometimes I think the old animations are better...less is more...

DarkLatios

SHINE GET
I believe that Sinnoh is the animé at it's best yet. The writers have learnt from their mistakes and thus a show of far better overall quality has been produced. Sure the animation isn't exactly spectacular, but it's workable. Here are some of Pokemons notable improvements in comparison to it's older days:
General lack of fillers, and the ones that do show up are usually enjoyable. (Johto is particularly known for being in a sea of fillers, with filler episodes clogging up the saga. While some of them are enjoyable, most were tedious to the max. Also many will remember the huge amounts of fillers taking place in between the 6th and 7th gym battles, which was a 26 episode gap as far as I'm aware, and in a saga consisting of 83episodes, thats a heck of a lot, just under one third of the total episodes of Kanto in fact.)

Far darker than previous seasons (I can't see how any of you think that the 1st season is the darkest, just because of a few guns and because of Team Rocket not being a joke. Clearly many of you haven't seen that guns are still used in some of the more recent episodes (like the breakup episode), or seen any episode with Hunter J in it. J is one of the reasons why the show is better, as the show finally has a serious villain that doesn't care about killing anyone who gets in her way, as well as aacrificing a few of her servants just to complete her objective of earning more cash from her client).

Ashes Pokémon finally get just about equal screentime ( Pikachu got far more screentime than his other Pokes in Kanto, and Ashes Johto Pokemon were overshadowed by Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle for most of the saga. In Sinnoh, and Hoenn to a lesser extent, Ashes Pokemon all get pretty much equal screentime, both in battle and in filler scenes.)

Battles show far more logic (gone are the days of "Pikachu! Aim for the horn!" Battles now show a very high amount of strategy and logic with abilities affecting the tide and flow of them, making them far more suspenseful than they were before. Plus, they pretty much stay true to the logic of the game now, except for the Thunder Armour haha)

Improved animation (whilst Sinnohs animation isn't impressive by the standards of today, it sure as heck beats the godawful animation than Kanto and the Orange Islands were plagued by. When you consider that a show that premiered 8 years before Pokemon (Dragonball Z) had far better animation than it, you can actually realise how badly Pokemon was animated 12 years ago. While it is obvious that newer times= better nimation, take in note that Sinnoh has mediocre animation for it's time, whilst Kanto had awful aniamtion for it's time.)

Last edited:

~Upsidedown 403~

I don't think Sinnoh is the best...people think it is because of all the changes they made...Paul as a rival, battles, less fillers, etc...the animation is crappy, there is too much useless character development, the pokemon act all like humans, rather than wild creatures needed to be tamed and trained...they've all been humanized...Dawn's contest rivals are boring, and her team was handled poorly and it's unorganized...

Piplup became the ungodly mascot for DPt...and Ash has a rival that he can't beat...people think that because Ash's pokemon evolve more in this season, that makes it the best...Ash NEVER battles a gym leader in the first episode meeting them at all...

Brock still has a boring, lame, no purpose role in the cast, and he needs to die...I hope his VA has to leave the cast due to fatal illness...

Just because Sinnoh is the longest arc, doesn't mean it's the best...

Ashley Miley

I can't say that it has lost its touch, but I kind of miss the old episodes because:

I read someone wrote that some people are stuck in "Brockashmisty foreverland" or something like that, and that's kinda me. I'm determined for Ash and Misty to end up together (even though it probably won't happen). I also liked Gary on the show, and the earlier pokemon episodes just had kind of a 1990's feel to them that I liked (like Ash's first outfit.)
I liked the Johto episodes a lot, too. And I like Dawn better than May. (Not that I'm anti-May, though.)

I can't watch many of the new episodes since I don't have Cartoon network and Dial-up internet, so that might be part of the reason.

I'm that one guy that stands in the middle of the tracks on this one. I liked how the first season had Ash getting his badges rather quick and the originality as a whole. Ash grew a pair in the very first episode against those Spearow only for it to be in vain cause Pikachu saved the day. My main problem was the Badges as most weren't actually earned by Ash: Boulder- You showed Brock that you have integrity as a trainer and helped Brock move on with his life to ahieve his dream, Cascade- Pikachu stopped Team Rocket from draining the Cerulean Gym, Thunder- Pikachu fought for its pride as a pikachu basically, Rainbow- Ash saved Gloom from a burning building, Soul- good you earned that, Marsh- you made the emo kid laugh, Volcano- you saved the gym from falling into the voclcano it had no buissness being in anyway, Earth- You got lucky Giovanni and Mewtwo stepped out when they did as Gary got owned in a single vs. double battle.

The league was okay as it was fair to Ash: win first few rounds then lose.

My only other gripe about Kanto is that team rocket used to be a threat and that officer jeny had the first impression of an over reactive klutz. Also why the abundance of stereotypical accents. (Damion, Bill, Magikarp salesman, that means you)

Orange Leauge- What was that? Four gyms and only Drake at Pumalo. It had it's pluses to though such as Ash catching Snorlax and Charizard respecting Ash (that is the second time his pokemon respecthim after a near-death incedent, first was Pikachu).

Johto Leauge- Only region that gets tornadoes apparently. Also it was the only time we've seen a Gym battle outside a gym and the first loose-pistol gym leader, Both honors go to Whitney. Jasmine gave live to the nervous-as-hell game version quite well.
Also when the graphics of the show got updateed with darker color palettes.

Hoenn- May is actually rather good looking as is Flannery. Not much else to say but "A giant sandwich?" Yes apparently a sanwich can tumble end over end down a hill...

Battle Frontier- Not much of a problem with it although Lucy was at least 6' 5" and Ash was oblivious to Anabel being a girl which rather amusing. Ash getting possessed by the King of Pokelantis was epic as we've never seen Pokemon fight dirty before. Then Ash went home and got whooped by Gary.

Sinnoh- not one of my favorites, but i'm liking the strategy and timing in the battles and that Ash actually has to think to win. I like the storyline whenever it's there and the region is actually relatable as it can be months before they reach the next gym battle cause Diamond and pearl started over a year ago and we only have 6-7 Badges.

Well this wraps my rant as I've said what i needed too...

Ash: (clefaiy and the moonstone) They get together and...DO THE MACARENA!!

Warden: (The Legend of Dratini) *Pulls out pistol* Do you wanne get shot?

Last edited:

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Brock still has a boring, lame, no purpose role in the cast, and he needs to die...I hope his VA has to leave the cast due to fatal illness...

That is a horrible thing to wish upon a human being. Fatal illness usually means that they're so sick that they could die hence the word "fatal".

I'm just going to take it that you weren't serious though however I don't like seeing statements like that which is probably a pet peave of mine. I've seen other fans treat VA's like this aswell.I don't mind fans wanting VA's out or brock out or whatever character out but it goes a little too far when you start wishing illnesses on them.

Last edited:

randomspot555

the animation is crappy,[/qupte]

How so?

there is too much useless character development,

Usually "useless" and "character development" aren't used in the same sentence. so how so?

the pokemon act all like humans, rather than wild creatures needed to be tamed and trained

This has been going on since like, the first episode. Pokemon aren't just wild creatures. They've been shown to interact with humans. Some are less social than others, but overall are a friendly species.

Dawn's contest rivals are boring, and her team was handled poorly and it's unorganized...

Another unsubstantiated Twitter-esque thought. What a surprise.

Piplup became the ungodly mascot for DPt

Yeah, how DARE THEY use the anime to advertise the games by putting emphasis on one of the starters. What are they trying to do? MAKE MONEY?!?!?!111?!!?!

So there's nothing wrong with the character itself, it's just that it appears out of it's Pokeball a lot. It usually doesn't even do anything besides some brief interaction with Dawn or comic relief, unless it's part of a plot of the episode.

...and Ash has a rival that he can't beat...

Even only watching what's been shown in the dub, this is a blatantly not true statement.

people think that because Ash's pokemon evolve more in this season, that makes it the best...

It's more that the character development is more present, thus leading to the reason they evolve.

Ash NEVER battles a gym leader in the first episode meeting them at all...

That's been happening since like, Johto.

Just because Sinnoh is the longest arc, doesn't mean it's the best...

And just because you type some mindless thoughts and add "..." to it doesn't make it a good post.

I also liked Gary on the show,

But Gary had just about no character development at all until the end of the Orange Islands. And then the show retcons their history to childhood friends, even though the first episode makes it pretty clear that they didn't know each other (or if they did, they were both putting on a really good act)

Maybe if his character actually appeared once in a blue moon, I might consider it. But Gary was more of an abscence than anything else. He'd show up ,say "Hey Ashy boy, looks like you're still behind! Smell ya later!" and repeat in 45 episodes later.

I liked how the first season had Ash getting his badges rather quick and the originality as a whole.

The first season had a gap of about 32 episodes between two badges at one point. IT'd be okay if it wasn't pointless filler after pointless filler, but it was.

xxxLauraeevee96xxx

Pokemon Co-ordinator
I think it has Pokemon Battle Dimension is alright but when i was watching Pokemon Chronicles the other day and i just thought its lost its touch in Chronicles there is good old fashion battling and great stories.
I think it lost it touch when Pokemon Battle Dimension came out

ehra2008

I wish they are going to reinvent it again since I have seen it before so I guess they just need to make it more modern to go with modern age too

ReidonX139

I say they should try and make it more like an Anime. Not a children show. I dont think they realise that Pokemon is more fanbased off of teens.