• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

randomspot555

i only watch movies really but where did ashs chimchar go?

It was in both of the movies released for D/P so far.

Chimchar evolved into Monferno during a Full Battle with Paul.

I say they should try and make it more like an Anime. Not a children show. I dont think they realise that Pokemon is more fanbased off of teens.

Pokemon is a children's show. The entire franchise is a children's franchise. The fan base is certainly not teenagers.

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
Yes it has changed but not so much lost its touch. i love pokemon, and yes it wil change but change is sometimes neccesary and i believe it was a good changed. so no it hasnt lost its touch to me. though i wish it would come on later!!!!i want to sleep in!!!lol

shamwowsavedme

chek dis ancient ***
hoenn is seeming to be the only gaping hole in the franchise...i mean it had its moments but all in all it jst flat out sucked.
Sinnoh is a stedy climb back tho

Champion Jared 14

The composition of Ash's teams has changed so much now, that people don't want to see Ash's team with a lot of unevolved pokemon...now that more of Ash's pokemon evolve, many fans think his pokemon that evolve are instantly better than the unevolved ones...there's only certain pokemon of Ash's that will never evolve, but those pokemon don't seem to be too common...bulbasaur, squirtle, totodile, cyndaquil, corphish (for evil team reasons), obviously Pika...etc...

It's all about change with pokemon, but we keep some of the old gags...the TR getups are kinda similar to the past I guess...Pokemon coordinators, what's the next theme gonna be?? And then they throw things like the TR motto, and pika's ten thousand volts to keep up tied to the olden days, as if not much has changed...

A pokemon can't just be a powerful pokemon anymore...it has to undergo some kind of character development in order for it be good, or else it will be boring...Oh, and it must have a personality...to match the trainer, or compliment them...

Pokemon super contests...are nothing like the old ones...and that's all I'm gonna say about that...

IDK...Pokemon isn't something really to get exicted about for one as old as I, seeing it from day one...it's more of a show for younger kids, but I will watch it from time to time...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
hoenn is seeming to be the only gaping hole in the franchise...i mean it had its moments but all in all it jst flat out sucked.

Switch Hoenn with Johto, and I agree.

The anime more or less tanked in mid-Johto writing wise. It got better toward the end, but Johto went over so badly with the fanbase the writers more or less severed all ties with it. The Johto saga is really the only saga that feels like it almost never happened.

Champion Jared 14

Actually, the simplistic occurences that happened in Johto is what makes it more appealing to me than Sinnoh, or Hoenn...Johto was the build up region for all of these changes, the writers to change certain things, blah blah...in Sinnoh, it's like something significant ALWAYS has to happen...people rave how Sinnoh has little or no fillers, and things get right to the point...then there's no fun in specualation!! No fun in the prediction....How can you say Johto never happened, when no one can even remember what championship Ash won? Oh, because they were too busy thinking about the racist things Americans would think since there's no "seemingly" black person in the show...

randomspot555

Actually, the simplistic occurences that happened in Johto is what makes it more appealing to me than Sinnoh, or Hoenn...Johto was the build up region for all of these changes,

Johto was not "the build up region for all of these changes" (what does that even mean)? Johto changed next to nothing.

Continued the abscensce of the rival Gary. He's rarely seen, and none of the other trio ever have rivals outside of COTD.

Many Pokemon are Oaked for little or no reason (Heracross, Tauros), and the Kanto starters had to be plot deviced out so that the Johto starters could actually be shown off.

Noctowl continued the trend of "Interesting in debut episode, shell of it's former self from then on out".

in Sinnoh, it's like something significant ALWAYS has to happen...people rave how Sinnoh has little or no fillers, and things get right to the point

How is having a plot a bad thing?

...then there's no fun in specualation!! No fun in the prediction

I don't think seeing what mindless drivel fans post is really what I'd call "fun."

....How can you say Johto never happened, when no one can even remember what championship Ash won? Oh, because they were too busy thinking about the racist things Americans would think since there's no "seemingly" black person in the show...

I don't even know what this is saying at all.

Champion Jared 14

Johto was not "the build up region for all of these changes" (what does that even mean)? Johto changed next to nothing.
It was at least a stepping stone...the writers were developing the writing more, giving Misty and Brock little things to do here and there so it wouldn't be about Ash ALL the time, the the little Breeding contest thing, and the whirl cup...and overall, it was right before the main cast changed forever...and brought new mechanics to the show...
Continued the abscensce of the rival Gary. He's rarely seen, and none of the other trio ever have rivals outside of COTD.
Gary is arguably the best rival for Ash, aside from Paul...going into "Reasearching" and still able to whip Ash in a battle...talk about skills...
Many Pokemon are Oaked for little or no reason (Heracross, Tauros), and the Kanto starters had to be plot deviced out so that the Johto starters could actually be shown off.
What's wrong with that?? Ash can't take more than six pokemon with him all the time...and one of Johto's purposes was to show off the Johto starters...I don't see the problem with that...
Noctowl continued the trend of "Interesting in debut episode, shell of it's former self from then on out".
Noctowl did have some impressive battles, and it was always useful to Ash for something, and it will remain one of Ash's most unique pokemon
How is having a plot a bad thing?
It can be bad if you're building yourself up for a dissapointment...
I don't even know what this is saying at all.
The fans were so outraged that Brock was replaced by Tracy, and then Americans were complaining that the show became racist because there was no black person in the show...and Brock isn't even black...what strange outrage to bring such a...lackluster character back into the cast...

ReidonX139

Pokemon is a children's show. The entire franchise is a children's franchise. The fan base is certainly not teenagers.

Look at the forums. Tons of people. Most of them teens. Go to a TCG Battle, almost all of them are teens. The show is showed towards children, which is a real let down for some fan's like me, because Id actually like a show that's a more serious tone.

Paj Meen Ah

In For The Kill
I fancied getting back into the show, so watched 2 random DP episodes and was pretty unimpressed. I watched the one where Dawn can't control pachirisu, and the Gardenia gym battle. Both seemed overlong for what actually went on, and not that interesting.

For that reason, I kinda want to watch a whole season or something, but dunno where/how to atm.

rogue trainer

I think has improved since the boring region of hoenn. the plots of episodes are more complex since the johto and kanto episodes but I wish the anime would go further become a little more adult and stop with the clesheas for example plant pokemon biting james head. I would like better animation,and maybe a little romance with ash and misty.

CliveKoopa

Look at the forums. Tons of people. Most of them teens. Go to a TCG Battle, almost all of them are teens. The show is showed towards children, which is a real let down for some fan's like me, because Id actually like a show that's a more serious tone.

Yeah I know what you mean. The censorship is a bit too much in the anime and too much has been edited, cut, banned, etc. I'm 24 and I've heard of fans who are much older than me.

BCVM22

Look at the forums. Tons of people. Most of them teens. Go to a TCG Battle, almost all of them are teens.

Yes? And? That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of millions of fans out there within the target demographic.

The show is showed towards children, which is a real let down for some fan's like me, because Id actually like a show that's a more serious tone.

Then you're looking in the wrong place. There's nothing about Pokémon in any iteration that needs "a more serious tone."

but I wish the anime would go further become a little more adult and stop with the clesheas for example plant pokemon biting james head. I would like better animation,and maybe a little romance with ash and misty.

You too are looking in the wrong place then. I'm not sure why, after twelve years of the anime, people still believe the show needs to/will change its tone or content to any significant or appreciable degree.

censorship is a bit too much in the anime and too much has been edited, cut, banned, etc. I'm 24 and I've heard of fans who are much older than me.

Very little of significance has been "cut, edited or banned" from the anime ever, and even less than that in recent years.

So the franchise should abandon the detailed and intensive market research that's led them to the target demographic at which they've aimed for thirteen years now, to tremendous success, and instead start basing their efforts on your anecdotal encounters of older fans in a few places? Fantastic idea.

Shinnie-tan

That's because it's the INTERNET. Children under the age of 10 are highly unlikely to be hanging out on forums like these while they could either be running around in a playground or watching TV. The kids are the ones getting their parents to buy the merchandise of the series. The internet fanbase is a very small percentage of the actual fanbase. The show will never change it's target audience because by the time most kids hit 14/15 they'll consider Pokemon boring and move on while a new set of kids take their place.

missingnocatcher

glitch trainer
in my opinion the anime lost its touch in the first season after team rocket members jessie and james becames the goof balls instead of meowth who took dominance... point is the first episode they apeered in they were more... evil

also when brock became a perv/girl stalker type person (whats the word im looking for?)

also when pokemon started having conversations... [critical hit! Super affective! wild POKEMON ANIME fainted!] in my opinion they shoulda kept it in the japanese form when they talked because that would prolly sound cooler, OR BETTER YET used the cry from the video games but making it sound more animal like while NOT LETTING THEM HAVE CONVERSATIONS... in my opinion the anime killed the video game and is prolly why some ppl say OMG U STILL PLAY POKEMON?! LOSER! because the anime killed an awsome game...

point is they had a good start and then had a steep crash

also this is strickly my opinion and i do not wish to offend those who like the show, also note that i am above the age group the anime (american version any way) was made for...

randomspot555

lol

Forums are not representative of the demographics of all people who watch the anime, play the games, etc...

Trading card games inherently cater to a slightly older audience, but there's plenty of young kids who buy it and only play sometimes or just collect it.

The forums have teens because, legally, you aren't allowed to register until you're 13, and most kids aren't computer obsessed anyway. All Internet fandoms are filled with the most hardcore of fans. Not the millions and millions of Pokemon players who've never heard of EV training and think the biggest challenge is beating Cynthia's Garchomp.

You're looking in the wrong place for a "more serious tone" in the anime. It never has been like that and never will be. It's like me wanting Sonic to appear in the sequel to Mario Galaxy.

Yeah I know what you mean. The censorship is a bit too much in the anime and too much has been edited, cut, banned, etc. I'm 24 and I've heard of fans who are much older than me.

To the most hardcore fans, the dub edits might be a big issue. But overall, nothing major has been changed. One can easily watch the dub and they won't miss out on a single major plot point.

in my opinion the anime lost its touch in the first season after team rocket members jessie and james becames the goof balls instead of meowth who took dominance... point is the first episode they apeered in they were more... evil

So it lost it's touch by the ninth episode?According to Dogasu's backpack, that's what firmly established TR trio as comic relief.

Rex Kamex

I say they should try and make it more like an Anime. Not a children show. I dont think they realise that Pokemon is more fanbased off of teens.

It is an anime (whether you consider anime a Japanese cartoon or an animated cartoon in general), and anime can be children's shows.

also when brock became a perv/girl stalker type person (whats the word im looking for?)

Aside from in that one episode where he wanted to see that water show with girls in bathing suits, he isn't a pervert. He doesn't really follow girls, so he's not a stalker.

in my opinion the anime killed the video game

also when pokemon started having conversations... [critical hit! Super affective! wild POKEMON ANIME fainted!]

and is prolly why some ppl say OMG U STILL PLAY POKEMON?! LOSER! because the anime killed an awsome game...

Pokemon as a fad ended, so among older people it's not "cool" to play Pokemon anymore. (I don't mind, I still play it, not as much as I used to, but I still play it.)

Zing

I only like the Indigo saga.

One cannot deny that the Indigo saga is different from the others. It has a more comedic flare and seeks to deliver entertainment above all else. Personally, I like how Pokemon was more humor based during the Indigo saga. It made the anime an enjoyable experience for me. However, once the series became more serious during the Orange Islands saga, I lost interest in it.