• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Has the pokemon anime lost its touch?

Do you think the Pokémon anime has lost its touch? I think it has but what do you think?

Everyone thinks it's lost its touch!
For the love of God! Leave the animé alone!

Anyway, it is based for those who adore the concept of Pokémon, you don't like the animé, don't watch it.
Simple as. Then again, it can be mighty irrestiable (with Paul...).

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
I only watch the movies or the impact-ish episodes of Pokemon nowadays. I really don't see the show getting at any specific end anytime soon, so might as well keep it a one-shot.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Nostalgia jumped the shark eons ago. Granted, it didn't jump it successfully, so it got a limb torn off by the shark in the process and had to get a leg amputated. Now everybody calls it "No-leg-stalgia", and it gets made fun of every day for being a limp excuse for a being whose only way of transportation is a wheelchair in the form of folks who think pity badges and releases and wretched pacing were forms of entertainment.

Alfonso

Derpgull
To the thread starter: Why do you think the show has lost its touch?

People are entitled to their opinion, but personally I like to hear opinions explained and elaborated on.

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
Since the beginning of Johto it's gone downhill.Team Rocket should be long gone by now, and changing the voice actors was a horrible mistake.

Well, people age, and semi-sadly the characters they voice don't age along with them. Some might've gotten bored of voice acting, or... some got injured of even worse, died? (Well, it could happen.)

Some series work hard enough to get someone who sounds =exactly= the same as the person before, but I dunno if you can just do that anytime, lol.

PokemonHero

I can see the future
Personally, I think not. I believe that the anime is much improved compared to what it has been. And this is coming from a long time viewer.

The plot overall has improved and is much more defined. We now have characters like Paul and Hunter J who actually feel like antagonists unlike Gary, who was handled quite poorly overall. There's much to like about the anime now when compared to the past.

Actually, the anime has seem to improved greatly throughout the seasons.

You'll just hear the whole "the anime sucks now!" because a lot of people are stuck in their first season/kanto/ASHBROCKANDMISTYFOVEVER Land." and they won't like anything other than that. :p

But the anime has gotten better. The writers make things way more interesting, and they're actually surprising us quite a bit with things. Showing us more of character's lives ..giving more character to the gym leaders, by having them show up more.

Actually having badass characters (Hunter J) ...and characters who don't really give a **** for Pokemon's feelings, just want to win (Shinji) ..and yeah.

Yeah, the anime is lovely. x3

Rex Kamex

I still think the quality is the same in Kanto as in Hoenn onward, but with different positives and negatives in each series. (I miss the Japanese-ness that the series used to have. I know why it's gone, but I'm still sad about it.)

Well, people age, and semi-sadly the characters they voice don't age along with them. Some might've gotten bored of voice acting, or... some got injured of even worse, died? (Well, it could happen.)

The people dubbing the show used to be from 4Kids, but now it's PUSA/whatever it's called now... I'm too hesitant to guess right now.

Although Meowth's second voice actor (because he was voiced by two different people from 4Kids befors PUSA came along) did die not too long ago.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
The animé has greatly improved, for example: Johto's endless fillers. Just when you think that after 12 fillers, we'll finally see something important happen and then another pointless filler crops up. The animé now is far more detailed and exciting, and some of the fillers are actually exciting, such as J's appearances. Plus, Paul is one badass Trainer!

Lastly, the animé's gonna be like this for forever and more, so you better get used to it.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Although Meowth's second voice actor (because he was voiced by two different people from 4Kids befors PUSA came along) did die not too long ago.

Indeed, Meowth was voiced by Nathan Price before being voiced by Maddie.

He's currently voiced by Jimmy Zoppi, who is imo, many degrees of awesome.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Personally, I think people believe the anime has lost its touch because either

a) they live in nostalgia

b) they remember the anime when it wasn't too Americanized. It no longer has the zaniness that was present in Kanto. When it had bikini scenes, crossdressing scenes, and just random head-enlargements and hitting and stuff, the Japanese comedy. Now the series has an a sense of enjoyment that comes from areas that any part of the Earth would understand.

Just my take on it.

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
Actually I am starting to get interested in getting into it again, considering positive feedback for the D/P arc. Wonder if I can clutch on to my "PokeSpe plot/characters are more superior" vow. Maybe once Sinnoh episodes gets over to my place. :,

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The reason why people lost interest is they just watch a few random episodes and then just stop.

You don't get the feel of a region unless you watch most of it in order, IMO.

PokemonHero

I can see the future

Indeed. If it weren't for Zoppi taking on James and Meowth after the dub change, things would have been a lot more difficult. He's probably the best full-time VA working on the dub right now.

Rex Kamex

Indeed, Meowth was voiced by Nathan Price before being voiced by Maddie.

Jimmy Zoppi's Meowth seems to me like a combination of the two other Meowth's. In any case, my favorite one is Jimmy Zoppi's Meowth.

The reason why people lost interest is they just watch a few random episodes and then just stop.

You don't get the feel of a region unless you watch most of it in order, IMO.

It doesn't really help that people around 17~24 or whatever might watch a D/P episode after not watching the series since Johto and looking at all the differences. Having Dawn replace Misty (that's how many would probably look at it, forgetting about May and Max, or even Tracey's replacement of Brock for that matter), for example. Ash not twirling his hat'll apprarently be significant. Team Rocket still being there. Ash still with a Pikachu. No Charizard (since they did not remember or never knew that it left in Johto). And I swear that some of the PUSA music could affect their opinions on the show. Or at least the new theme song. (Cause they forgot about the Orange Island or Johto theme songs.) No Gary, etc.

But who knows? Maybe if some of them rewatched some Kanto episodes they'd still find the show lame.

Chelc

Honestly, I think the nostalgia for the older seasons is the only reason why people feel this way. Most of the fandom seems to be 13-20s, at least on fansites, forums, and whatnot, meaning everyone started with Kanto, and if not Kanto, Orange Islands or Johto. It seems like people forget that there are new generations of fans: some kids are starting out with Hoenn, and maybe some are starting out with Sinnoh. Many of them probably don't even know about the earlier seasons. I don't think any of us really think about that. Years from now, those kids will be here on SPPf (or whatever other Pokemon forums there will be in the future) who are nostalgic for Hoenn and Sinnoh, and the older seasons probably won't even be mentioned at all.

Anyways, it hasn't lost its touch, you're just growing up and probably starting to take interest in more "mature" shows. Even with the vast improvements the show has made since Hoenn, it's really not enough to keep anyone over the age of thirteen interested. Like Xashlei said, Pokemon isn't one of those shows you can "grow up" with, at least into your teenage years - the characters remain ten-years-old, so it's kind of hard to relate to them after a certain point. I think you have to be really, really into the Pokemon franchise as a whole in order to still enjoy it when you're older. Because the show is aimed at children, it can get really predictable and repetitive after a while, so that is probably the reason why you're less interested in it now rather than back when you were younger.

I know it's why my interest is dwindling, anyways. This probably isn't true for everyone. I'm just more interested in other things, and can't really be bothered as much anymore. Maybe the league and Grand Festival episodes will surprise me, who knows. Right now, though, I basically read a summary and forget about it the next day.

Xashlei said:
Wonder if I can clutch on to my "PokeSpe plot/characters are more superior" vow. Maybe once Sinnoh episodes gets over to my place. :,

I don't think that will be hard to do, honestly. ^^; While Sinnoh is very enjoyable (for the most part), I think the DPPt arc in PokeSpecial is handled better and is overall more interesting. That's just my opinion, though.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Hm, not so sure about that. I'm a little past my College days and I still find the eps entertaining.

Granted I don't get as excited watching episodes as I did when I was 12 years old (obviously), but I still get enjoyment out of it.

If you lose interest in the series you could always take a break from it for a few years and then marathon through whatever eps you missed.

Alfonso

Derpgull
If you lose interest in the series you could always take a break from it for a few years and then marathon through whatever eps you missed.

To be honest, that was the case with me. Over the last year I just lost interest with the anime series and along with a stupid approach to University work I found myself losing more and more track with the episodes.

I'm, eh, obtaining the episodes as we speak through purely legal means as I truly do want to catch up.