• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Haunter VS Kadabra (024)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
“If you have the same picture, then that must mean you are... that must mean you are a photographer!” Pfft, Ash is so dense sometimes. Until we reach this: “Since Einstein invented the lightbulb.” Actually, nevermind, Jessie has her moments, too.

Some people like to complain that Ash let Haunter go when they forget (probably) that he only befriended Haunter, not captured him in a PokéBall. So he had every right to let him go. It's also because he didn't catch him that Haunter had freedom to go anywhere he wanted, thus why he was absent at the first “rematch”. Ash also said once he found Haunter that he didn't have to help him once Sabrina was defeated. And I think it was for the best, because Haunter is not a great character on his own—all he has going for him are practical jokes that... really aren't all that funny to me, personally, at least by themselves. But Jessie and Sabrina found the comedy in it, so I guess it's just personal tastes. I like to think of the three Ghost Pokémon from the previous episode to be like Larry, Curley and Moe, in which they are excellent together, but are nothing special as individuals. So if some people didn't like Haunter in this episode, that's why.

Stroke of genius, in a way.

This episode is sadly the weakest of the Sabrina arc, if only because we spend about half the time talking about/looking for/being around Haunter. There was the bit where we got a bit of backstory into Sabrina's childhood and how she got the split personality, but more could've been added to it for more “oomph”. So she was obsessed with developing her psychic powers, okay. We get mentions of her parents trying to stop her, but we otherwise don't get all of their feelings on it. Sabrina's father at least helps fill it in on his end, but the mother is still defending Sabrina and has no hard feelings for her. Which is fine, she still loves Sabrina even after all she did, but you'd think she'd be more saddened by it like how it affected her father.

Really, this episode should've been focused on that instead of wasting time on Haunter when he wasn't going to do much worthwhile with his screentime. It would've helped the pacing, and perhaps with the rather iffy climax of the episode. I understand that some people have issues with how it played out. Haunter was set up from the very start that he's a prankster, sure, but was there any real reason for him to wander around? Maybe, if just to show off what he can do. But the big thing that is brought up a lot throughout the original series are the pity badges, and the Marsh Badge is not exempted from it. However, I wouldn't exactly say it's a pity badge because Ash did battle Sabrina. He was trying his best in the rematch. But the argument is that Haunter, whom wasn't battling Kadabra, interrupted the match for the sake of making Sabrina laugh.

Well, remember that Sabrina is a psychic trainer, and I think it was mentioned a couple of episodes before that she has a telepathic bond with her Pokémon. (Even if it wasn't mentioned, one can come to that conclusion anyway through subtle hints.) Perhaps Haunter knew this and went after the source and not the Pokémon like Ash ordered. And as Sabrina was mostly an emotionless person for most of her life, she may not have control over her emotions. And with the bond linking her with Kadabra, as she laughed, so did Kadabra. And I believe that there has to be a certain amount of time a Pokémon can stall in battle before it's a sign of being unable to battle. (This would be later shown in the battle between Ash and Ritchie when Charizard loafed around instead of battling Sparky, thus costing Ash the match.)

So technically Ash did earn the badge, and I love how Ash questions the legitimacy of his wins whenever he feels he didn't do enough to earn it. Some people seem to forget that he has integrity when they point out the pity badges. If he felt he didn't honestly deserve them, he speaks his mind about it, and it's only after it's explained why it is he won it does he come to accept it. Thus, he feels better at learning he didn't cheat or earn it out of pity—despite what Misty and Brock said earlier. Now am I going to deny that the pity badges don't happen? Not exactly. I'm looking at you, Erika.

It's not often we get to have another gym battle so soon, but first, we need to settle some monkey business. Or should I say Mankey business.

*shot*

World Turtle

So I watched the episode and unless I missed something the only reference to Haunter being captured was when Ash sends (or tries to) Haunter out into battle the first time Sabrina says, “So you captured a Ghost Pokemon did you?” That doesn’t confirm if Ash caught Haunter or not. I couldn’t find a moment where Ash says flat out that he caught Haunter. Everything just give me the impression Haunter just followed Ash. The narrator even says “Haunter decided to follow Ash to Saffron City”.

Ash even tells Haunter later, “Just help me save my friends and you’ll never have to help me out again”. Even during his disobedience phase Ash had more of a connection to Charizard.

Also none of the Japanese Openings or Endings that showcased Ash's Pokemon over the years ever included Haunter (Larvitar on the other hand would appear in the "Spurt!" OP after failing to appear in the "Glory Day" ED. The "Be An Arrow" OP would include all of Ash's Oak Pokemon + those in training: Charizard, Primeape, and Squirtle. The "Let's Hold Hands" ED would include everyone, but Haunter again). So for me Haunter's status as one of Ash's Pokemon has been diminished over the years through official sources.

Haunter ゴースト

So I watched the episode and unless I missed something the only reference to Haunter being captured was when Ash sends (or tries to) Haunter out into battle the first time Sabrina says, “So you captured a Ghost Pokemon did you?” That doesn’t confirm if Ash caught Haunter or not. I couldn’t find a moment where Ash says flat out that he caught Haunter.

Likewise, nothing states that he didn't catch it either.

Ash would likely deny catching one if it wasn't actually his and would have said Haunter is simply helping out surely.

Regardless, it's pointless debating the fact. We will never know unless an official source tells us, which let's face it won't happen any time soon.

World Turtle

There is zero indication Ash caught Haunter nor did Ash treat it like a captured pokemon. It was more like "could you please come help me out for a bit?" from the start of the episode. For all the good it did seeing as Haunter had less interest in battling then Aipom, and would ditch Ash, twice to go play around. Look, I'd love to count Haunter as one of Ash's Pokemon, but the lack of his appearances in the openings/endings where even Larvitar got a scene quite frankly tells me that he's not.

I always thought Ash caught Haunter in this episode instead of just Haunter helping him with his rematch against Sabrina

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I still remember screaming with rage when Ash went to challenge Sabrina again at the Saffron Gym here, only for Haunter to disappear. Ugh. An actual battle between Haunter and Kadabra would've slayed instead of Ash winning the Marsh Badge at the last minute. At least Ash didn't keep Haunter though. I thank God for that.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I remember expecting Haunter and Kadabra to actually battle when Ash went to the Saffron gym again here, but instead Ash won by simply making Sabrina laugh which was anticlimactic for me but o well. At least he got the Marsh badge.

Ash The Boy

I loved the fact that Ash have not caught Haunter and have not defeated Sabrina, a merely kid like Ash can't even understand the depth of the occultism, even more beat a paranormal girl or control a GHOST pokémon.

Good times, it was a sinister way Ash got this badge!

Gillachu

Banned
So Ash went through the trouble of hunting down a Ghost-type mon, only for said Haunter to not even battle Sabrina's Kadabra. What a rip off...

JudySpell

Banned
Haunter disappearing when Ash needed him was amusing although I got a little mad that we didn't see a proper Gym match. 7/10

My favorite scene: Team Rocket being covered with cement towards the end. I was looking forward to Ash winning fairly against Sabrina, but too bad. :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
So now Satoshi went back to face Natsume again at Yamabuki City's Gym, only for Ghost to disappear at the beginning of the match. I was highly anticipating watching Ghost mop the floor with Yungerer, so Satoshi winning by making Natsume laugh instead was exasperating. Still, this was a good episode.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
So Ash went through the trouble of hunting down a Ghost-type mon, only for said Haunter to not even battle Sabrina's Kadabra. What a rip off...

Hmmm well I won't deny that I would've loved seeing Haunter and Kadabra clash with each other here, but in a way I still liked how the Saffron gym storyline was settled cuz it was different from most gyms.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I loved the whole Saffron arc. It would have been more realistic to have Haunter actually battle, but the gags in this episode were too much to resist and made up for the very anticlimactic ending. And I still wonder if Ash had actually owned Haunter. :x

ZilverLox

Banned
How sad that Misty, Brock, Jessie, and James did pretty much nothing throughout this entire arc. Ash faced Sabrina alone, explored the Pokemon Tower alone, he faced Sabrina alone again, while Misty and Brock get turned into toys and Jessie and James get smacked around by the ghosts. I hate when Ash hogs the spotlight and gets pity badges. I hate when Jessie and James only show up because they have to be in every episode. I hate it when Ash releases a Pokemon for no good reason. :(

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It was weird how Misty and Brock got turned into dolls, but I remember Haunter being very funny and also undependable in battle since it always seemed to disappear for whatever reason.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Tbh, since Night Shade was the only damaging Ghost-type move in the 1st Gen, I wonder if Haunter would've even won against Sabrina's Kadabra if they had battled.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
And I still wonder if Ash had actually owned Haunter. :x

Well we never saw him catch the Haunter and since he didn't seem to mind that Haunter was staying with Sabrina here, I took that to mean that he didn't own Haunter to begin with. It seemed like Haunter was just following him around ha ha.