• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Haunter VS Kadabra (024)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Haunter VS Kadabra!

With Haunter on his team, Ash heads for a re-match...but Haunter disappears and Sabrina turns Misty & Brock into Dolls to play with. Can Ash find Haunter and defeat Sabrina so he can save his friends and get his Marsh Badge?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

R

Ryuu

I liked this episode, even though it wasn't much of a gym battle. :D

Too bad Ash parted with Haunter...I loved it, though he didn't exactly capture it - it followed him. I liked its funny personality. ^^

Heh...Haunter showed up in the nick of time. A second later, and Ash would have been a doll once again - forever.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
What a cop-out this was. You realize Ash did absolutely nil to get this badge, right? He just stands there waiting for Haunter to get off its metaphorical butt and show up, and once it does, it doesn't even listen to him. Instead, it makes Sabrina laugh, thereby making Kadabra laugh and ending the battle before it even started. GIVE ME A BREAK.

Also, Misty, Brock, Jessie, and James did pretty much nothing throughout this entire arc. Ash faces Sabrina alone, he explores Pokémon Tower alone, he faces Sabrina alone again...while Misty and Brock get turned into toys (of all things) and Jessie and James get smacked around by the ghosts. I know a lot of people like this three-parter, but it just didn't feel like "Pokémon" to me. I hate when Ash hogs the spotlight, I hate when Ash gets pity badges, I hate when Jessie and James only show up because they have to be in every episode, I hate it when Ash releases a Pokémon for no good reason - add it all up, and I hate this episode.

Jesse GS the II said:
What a cop-out this was. You realize Ash did absolutely nil to get this badge, right? He just stands there waiting for Haunter to get off its metaphorical butt and show up, and once it does, it doesn't even listen to him. Instead, it makes Sabrina laugh, thereby making Kadabra laugh and ending the battle before it even started. GIVE ME A BREAK.

Also, Misty, Brock, Jessie, and James did pretty much nothing throughout this entire arc. Ash faces Sabrina alone, he explores Pokémon Tower alone, he faces Sabrina alone again...while Misty and Brock get turned into toys (of all things) and Jessie and James get smacked around by the ghosts. I know a lot of people like this three-parter, but it just didn't feel like "Pokémon" to me. I hate when Ash hogs the spotlight, I hate when Ash gets pity badges, I hate when Jessie and James only show up because they have to be in every episode, I hate it when Ash releases a Pokémon for no good reason - add it all up, and I hate this episode.

Actually it wasn't a "pity" badge because(yes i know it was kinda corny) after Huanter made Sabrina laugh, her father declared ash the winner. It was Ash's fault.

I

Iapapa Berry

Actually, the reason why I liked this episode was because it's quite "different" from other gym battles. Jesse GS said that "it just didn't feel like Pokemon", but I think it adds more to Pokemon. A lot of the episodes I've seen followed a certain setup:

1. Ash & co. are wandering happily along on their Pokemon journey
2. They meet a person, Pokemon, or situation new to them
3. Team Rocket wants to steal a Pokemon
4. Team Rocket comes up with a ridiculous idea of how their boss will be pleased with the Pokemon
5. Brock falls in love with a pretty girl
6. Misty or Max pulls Brock's ear
7. Jessie and/or James does something stupid
8. Ash & co. find something about the Pokemon/person/situation
9. Team Rocket tries to steal the Pokemon mentioned before
10. The Pokemon is freed
11. Team Rocket starts a Pokemon battle.
12. Victreebel or Cacnea hugs James painfully.
13. Ash wins the battle (especially w/ Pikachu)
14. "Team Rocket's Blasting off again!!"
15. Ash & co. thank the new person then continue on their journey.

This episode, however, doesn't follow a single step of that format.

I like this episode, every scene of it, for the most part. And the entire arc, in that matter, is probably the best. In fact, "Abra and the Psychic Showdown" is on my list of favorite episodes because it was mysterious and funny at the same time.

Scene Commentary:

-I liked Team Rocket's encounter with Haunter. Ash wasn't even there, making it even more exciting. Haunter kept making faces at Jessie and James while both were hanging from the edge of a building(?), and Jessie, who was on top, tried not to laugh. She finally did, letting go, and James asked her what was so funny. That was hilarious! Plus, at the end, both of them were covered in cement then ran off across the street. I always love episodes where it shows a funny thing about what happened to Team Rocket at the end.

-I, in fact, liked the "battles", especially the one before the one where Ash won. In the first one, he tried to use Haunter in the battle, but Haunter had disappeared, apparently afraid of psychics. (I thought that a paradox too--a ghost being scared?! I thought Haunter did all the scaring!) Then Ash went into a hilarious trauma about Haunter not being found. And, of course, Misty and Brock were turned into dolls. (However, I did enjoy the dollhouse scene more in "Abra and the Psychic Showdown".) Anyways, in the second battle, I thought it was funny. First, Ash called out Haunter again, but Haunter went missing! Then, Ash called out his other Pokemon, but they backed against the wall and shook their heads in unison, which I thought was funny. Pikachu finally decided to battle, and Ash thanked him in a funny way, with beady eyes and everything... And I also laughed, of course, at the funny faces Haunter made while Sabrina never laughed, until that bomb came and Sabrina finally laughed... Of course, I did think it was weird that her father declared Ash the winner of the battle just because Kadabra laughed too hard to continue...

Overall, that episode is a favorite for me, and "Abra and the Psychic Showdown" as well. And in addition, Sabrina's my favorite gym leader, and Psychic is my favorite Pokemon type...
;093;;064;

Last edited by a moderator:
Iapapa Berry said:
Actually, the reason why I liked this episode was because it's quite "different" from other gym battles. Jesse GS said that "it just didn't feel like Pokemon", but I think it adds more to Pokemon. A lot of the episodes I've seen followed a certain setup:

4. Team Rocket comes up with a ridiculous idea of how their boss will be pleased with the Pokemon
10. The Pokemon is freed

;

Actually Most of the Kanto(and some Orange island) episodes don't follow that format.

C

Crystal Latios

Ash didn`t win this badge. Sabrina`s fun and pkmn battle are two different things.
Pikachu (not Haunter) had a battle with Kadabra. Pika couldn`t beat him. But Haunter (for good fun) made Sabrina laugh. Sabrina used a telepathy, so Kadabra couldn`t fight with Pikachu, because Haunter was funny for him too. But if Pikachu has a serious fight with Kadabra again, he will lose.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I had forgotten how much I liked this episode untill I saw it again yesterday. This was a really good episode, it really takes me back to the early days of Kanto. Anyway, I really liked Haunter in this one, he's so hilarious and he'll always be one of my favorites. I love it when he shows up next to TR and Jessie is trying not to laugh, and he's doing all this stuff, like firing a gun with his tongue, and then later he pulls the bomb out of his mouth. I don't care what anybody else says, I would rather see Haunter goofing off than Ash winning the battle the normal way. And about TR, even though they didn't do anything in this ep they still managed to be really funny. This just proves that TR does not have to be stealing pokémon with giant mechs to be in an episode. Too bad the writers are just too lazy these days to actually do anything creative with them.

M

meggirl63

I liked when Ash dropped his jaw when he found out that Haunter only made Sabrina laugh as a result of her defeat.

The finale of my favorite arc. TR was actually funny in this episode, which is glorious(it NEVER happens, barely). Haunter was hilarious here, especially its phobia of Psychics. Ash had to beg it to battle Kadabra^^. And, of course, it goes AWOL on him again. I kinda like this badge ep. It's different from the other pity badges. It wasn't exactly a pity badge, since Kadabra couldn't battle.

Overall rating:
8.9 out of 10!!!
'Tis a shame this arc couldn't last longer.

SC~ out

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Iapapa Berry said:
10. The Pokemon is freed

It wasn't until Johto that the show got really stuck in this rut. (They did a few between Koga and Blaine but at least they were interesting and not repetitive.)

I don't know why that is STILL AROUND in Hoenn.

As for this battle. The last battle was more to save Misty and Brock than to gain a badge.

However, Ash made the best expression ever. I loved the mouth just hanging wide open.

Jon Jen

Super Coordinator
There were quite a few things about this episode, or rather, three episodes, that I enjoyed. Most notably, Sabrina herself, er, selves. ~_~;;

Sabrina was a great character, and I'm glad that there were three episodes of her, if nothing else redeeming about these episodes.

Looking back, I'm surprised that the bomb Haunter had wasn't edited out. Sure, they get rid of an entire episode where the Warden just threatens people with a gun, no actual shooting, and a very good episode it was too, but nothing done about Haunter's bomb. Actually, while this sounds like a complaint, it is! But its a victory for us who want to see actual substance, not Soccer Mom drivel. (Note: The Dragonair Episode is the only one that I have not seen the uncut version of. I'm going to cry now.)

How can anyone try to say its a bad thing that it breaks out of that stupid loop of events that the second half of Johto locked us fiercely into. Ugh. Bad bad! Just kidding.

There were many good humors in these episodes, Haunter being such a useful pokemon in every way but battle. Poor Ash. Oh well, he got a pity badge! Yay Pity Badge!

Actually, boo pity badge. They suck. I hate it when that happens. I would have rather seen another episode of yet another rematch after Sabrina isn't quite so uptight. I would have liked to see a real personality for such an overlooked character.

Overall, these episodes, (this and the two prior) in my opinion, deserve a 8/10, collectively.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I wish the games would give you a gym badge for making the leader laugh. WORST BADGE WIN EVER! I felt that, with the exception of maybe Blaine and Giovanni, had more potential than any other gym leader. I was praying for an amazing gym battle. But we got this. Thank God for Hoenn, eh?

Professor Ivy

1st Princess Serebii
Serebii said:
Haunter VS Kadabra!

With Haunter on his team, Ash heads for a re-match...but Haunter disappears and Sabrina turns Misty & Brock into Dolls to play with. Can Ash find Haunter and defeat Sabrina so he can save his friends and get his Marsh Badge?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss
I like Sabrina, she very cool for a female trainer. i tranier she the first one I liked
Myuu.png

I liked this epsiode.

Team Rockets encounter with Haunter was funny when James had the net and Jessie said he was really smart. And then the Chicken before the egg and James said all smart people knew that the egg came first and then Jessie said she knew that only she had forgotten it. Then the egg crushed them. Hee.

Brock and Misty as dolls was funny. Sabrina's Mother and Father were quiet good charecters in my opinion.

But Ash another 'pity' badge! Ah! He got an Erika pity badge and a Brock pity badge. In my opinion.

9.3/10

~Torkoal Stu~

K

Kazaana

Ah, the climax to my all-time favorite saga.

This was a great episode. Since I simply LOVE weird things, I loved the fact that Misty and Brock were turned into dolls. =)

And even though this was a 'pity badge', I don't really care. This saga was the best saga ever, and best gym episodes ever, IMO. I wouldn't have cared if Sabrina had forfeited in the first minute of the match and given Ash the badge. This epiosde was great even without a gym battle.

Also, I find it weird that TR can fall a few stories, and smack straight into concrete, and still live, and yet Ash and the others get worried later on in the series when they're about to go off a small cliff or waterfall. =/

wobbanut

Team Awesome
This episode had my least favorite gym ending EVER. I mean, it's great that Ash was able to still be declared the winner and have Misty and Brock restored, but COME ON, this was one of the biggest copout endings ever. Of course, this is only my opinion. At least most of Ash's later gym battles (apart from ones like "Pokemon Scent-Sation" and "Watt's With Wattson") were won the right way.

Otherwise, I did love Haunter in this episode. I especially loved the part where he first disappeared and Ash used a bullhorn and binoculars to find him. LOL :)

Magus

Fog Trainer
It wasn't a "pity badge". Ash did still win legitimately; even if it was a ridiculous way to win it was still within the rules. A Pokémon that's "unable to battle", for whatever reason, loses. Kadabra was laughing too hard to battle, so it lost.