• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have remakes outlived their use?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Generally speaking, I don't personally see their appeal anymore. I was enthralled by HG/SS when those were released because my old copies of G/S/C no longer worked due to their internal batteries running dry, so having updated versions of the games for the DS was wonderful and convenient. But I wasn't as eager for OR/AS since I still owned the original Gen III cartridges, and I figured that if Nintendo had wanted to work the nostalgia angle, they could've just re-released Ruby and Sapphire on the Virtual Console for the 3DS instead of developing remakes that probably cost twice or three times as much as the Virtual Console versions might've costed. Then BD/SP happened, and now I'm very wary about the concept of remakes.
They couldn't because 3ds didn't have GBA on virtual console.

Before anybody counters with the ambassador program, those games don't work with traditional emulation.
The 3ds would shut down its features in order for the ambassador games to work.
They likely wouldn't be able to modify R/S/E or make it work with Bank.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I can actually see a BDSP-esque BW remake for next year if that's the region they want to remake next (they might choose to skip Johto like everyone's expecting if GSC gets ported to NSO). NSO doesn't currently have DS games and the Switch can't really emulate them well due to the lack of a second screen so if they want Unova on the Switch it might be best for BW to get the remake treatment so they can work around where to put previously touch screen elements such as the C Gear and battle menus. Now maybe if the next gen device has two screens like the DS and 3DS, then maybe we can talk BW on NSO (even better if NSO carries over to next gen so they can start right off the bat with stronger hardware like the DS and GC instead of starting from square one with the NES for the 20th time), but otherwise I think it's more a matter of do they want Unova this gen or next gen? Now I wouldn't be happy with a BDSP-esque BW remake either because I hated almost everything about BW and liked BW2 far better, but that is what I think they would do.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Honestly if ILCA gets to change more like previous remakes and keeps the graphics to more of the Gen 7+ style, I'd be down for them to return for future remakes. They made the bosses fun to face with held items and actually good movesets.

TwilightBlade

The DP remakes are what turned me off the idea of Pokemon remakes entirely. I mean okay the Let's Go games were kind of lame too imo but Kanto had always been a bland region for the most part, so it wasn't totally surprising that the Switch Kanto remakes were middling.

But I had higher expectations for the DP remakes and expected them to be at least be on par with ORAS, but that didn't happen. The fact that the overworld graphics were a huge step back from the other core Gen 8 games and that the Gym Leaders and other important characters didn't even get redesigns still saddens me. :[

Espeonite

The DP remakes are what turned me off the idea of Pokemon remakes entirely. I mean okay the Let's Go games were kind of lame too imo but Kanto had always been a bland region for the most part, so it wasn't totally surprising that the Switch Kanto remakes were middling.

But I had higher expectations for the DP remakes and expected them to be at least be on par with ORAS, but that didn't happen. The fact that the overworld graphics were a huge step back from the other core Gen 8 games and that the Gym Leaders and other important characters didn't even get redesigns still saddens me. :[

Its like they didn't care they were like here's your remake now stfu.

Ryker101

Yeah I’d say so. Back then the jump between gens was much bigger so they were justified. But nowadays there’s not an awful lot to update imo. Hell remakes are starting to lack features that were in previous gens like Platinum’s features in BDSP and battle frontier in ORAS. It’s annoying really bc the whole point of remakes would be to improve the base games. Nowadays they just feel redundant

They should take the PLA approach instead. Revisit the region but in a new way. With Sinnoh they went to the past, personally I’d like if we got a BW follow-up in the distant future. That way they can build up off gen V instead of just recycling it. The base games are already peak and don’t really need remakes if you ask me

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think the whole BDSP let-down was because Legends was clearly Gamefreak's baby/the Sinnoh game they wanted. It is possible that with Unova we would get a different kind of revisit. Depending on where a future region is, they could try something similar to Gen 2 where the region is right next to Unova and you visit Unova in the post-game (ie Gen 10 is based on New England or the golden horseshoe part of Canada). I also like Ryker's idea of a sequel to the already existing BW games (essentially Black and White 3). Given Gen V was a sort of soft-reboot of the og games, it'd be kind of fitting for them to do the sequel treatment

I don't expect this to come up until Gen 10 though. I've noticed that generations re-appear or are remade on a double of whatever gen they showed up in. Gen 2 revisited Kanto, Gen 4 and 6 had Johto and Hoenn remakes, and Gen 8 had BDSP and Legends

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't expect this to come up until Gen 10 though. I've noticed that generations re-appear or are remade on a double of whatever gen they showed up in. Gen 2 revisited Kanto, Gen 4 and 6 had Johto and Hoenn remakes, and Gen 8 had BDSP and Legends

That's not true for Gen 1 though, which had remakes in Gens 3 and 7, not Gen 2.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
For me, not really. As the years go by older systems become more expensive and less accessible to the general audience. Remakes would allow players to experience these games without having to go onto eBay and search for old Nintendo games and consoles that might be going for hundreds of dollars. Plus, due to the DS line's unique dual screen setup it would be very hard to port the Gens 4-7 games directly to future consoles unless they too had a dual screen setup, so these games would have to be remade.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Plus, due to the DS line's unique dual screen setup it would be very hard to port the Gens 4-7 games directly to future consoles unless they too had a dual screen setup, so these games would have to be remade.

I am really hoping that Nintendo finds a way to integrate the dual screen clamshell design of the DS, 3DS, and Wii U for this reason (and because it's simply useful in gameplay to have a map/menu screen you can easily glance at any time in new games too). Nintendo says that the Switch has "the DNA of all past Nintendo hardware" and for the most part that's true, but the lack of a secondary touch screen like they had for the DS, 3DS, and Wii U is a glaring omission and it definitely feels like that's a missing piece of that "DNA". But in the meantime yes, it's going to be difficult to emulate that dual screen setup with a single screen, and that would be a good argument to continue remaking Gens 4-7.

Pokemon Power

Yes and I have very low expectations for the eventual Black and White remakes as a result of how bad Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and BDSP were.
I wouldn't call them bad. Though I do feel like they needed more new features to distinct them from the original games. Let's Go should've had the Sevii Islands from FR/LG implemented in. Would've been a fun way to unlock the ability to send Gen. 2 through 7 Pokemon over through Go Park. And while BD/SP did implement some features from Platinum, like the new formes introduced in it, and had cool enhancements to features like the Underground and Pal Park, I felt that they could've added more, like regional forms of available Pokemon, and maybe compatibility with Pokemon from later generations that were in Legends.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I liked BDSP but, I get it. Not the best remake if we're being honest.
Yeah while they did allow increased speed imports, improved playing speed, multi exp share and expanded creature roster available with imports. But the massive chibi heads in cutscenes and difficulty spikes compared old games version AI is just not fun playing a new save over and over.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Instead of HGSS/ORAS-style remakes or BDSP-style remasters, I wish we'd see more sequel games like B2W2. Instead of playing through mostly the same story with maybe a couple new elements, I think it would be interesting to revisit old regions with entirely new plots and possibly major changes to the region.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Instead of HGSS/ORAS-style remakes or BDSP-style remasters, I wish we'd see more sequel games like B2W2. Instead of playing through mostly the same story with maybe a couple new elements, I think it would be interesting to revisit old regions with entirely new plots and possibly major changes to the region.

It really is a profound disappointment that BW2 ended up being a one and done experiment. I was really hoping that BW2 would influence future third versions and even future remakes. Instead they regressed from it and we never saw a sequel again. Now we do have LA now and that has a similar effect on old regions, but if they don't make more Legends games or something similar like with BW2 it'll be all for naught.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
My view of it is like my stand with the Final Fantasy 7 Remake: I don't particularly mind if they do it, as the original games will still be there even if it disappoints. Even if Black and White is remade and comes out like a horrible pile of mutated garbage, we can still go back to the original DS titles, hardware permitting (or using the Voldemort of almost any gaming forums/discussion).

I know the more recent Pokémon titles have been disappointing, but I believe that it is still more meritorious to have them try. At worst, it at least allows some Pokémon to be available in the current macrocosm; at best it can be transformative of the experience like HGSS and ORAS. That said, I do understand that it is reasonable for a push back for adequacy and competency in their code and execution, but I think that's a topic for discussion for another day (and thread).