• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

have the current game mechanics made competitive play less fun?

shadorai

wandering trainer
i still think pokemon is lots of fun, but sometimes i feel like the current game mechanics have made the game a little less fun. EVs, IVs, etc. i liked when there wasn't anything like that.

the current game mechanics are fun, but they're fun in a bit of a different way. what do you think?

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
I still play competitively, and I've always used those mechanics to garner an advantage. It's just part of the game when you play at that level. I could understand that it may seem hard to start, but once you have a couple choice pokemon you can use to boost the rest, you're set forever pretty much.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Iirc, Ev's and Iv's were in the original games, they just had different names.

Ev's= Stat Experience
Iv's= Dv's

Ditto B1tch

Not more fun nor less fun, the current game mechanics actually made competitive play more interesting. In the meantime it becomes more complicated for newbie players, what could sound not fun to them.

IV's and EV"s always existed since Gen 1, we had just some alteration on Gen III. Don't blame them for that.

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
Not more fun nor less fun, the current game mechanics actually made competitive play more interesting. In the meantime it becomes more complicated for newbie players, what could sound not fun to them.

IV's and EV"s always existed since Gen 1, we had just some alteration on Gen III. Don't blame them for that.

Exactly this. imo competitive play just got more challenging for good reason.

Sunglasses Krookodile

King Of The Kroks
I still don't really get the difference between battling with an Npc to playing with another player. I work so hard to train my pokemon to be really good using ev training and they seem really decent battlers however when I go to play against a normal person online my team get wiped out super quick and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, especially since I have put so much time into making a set team decent battlers. And I have been playing since red and blue, competitive battling has never been something I like and is something try to stay clear from.

Bariokie

rock dog
It doesn't bother me. But back when it was only beating the gym's and playing with your friend it was much better.... ;)

randomspot555

i still think pokemon is lots of fun, but sometimes i feel like the current game mechanics have made the game a little less fun. EVs, IVs, etc. i liked when there wasn't anything like that.

the current game mechanics are fun, but they're fun in a bit of a different way. what do you think?

They've always been there.

It doesn't bother me. But back when it was only beating the gym's and playing with your friend it was much better.... ;)

Are you somehow prevented from beating the gyms and playing with your friends? Is someone holding a gun to your head and preventing you from doing so?

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
If there weren't these features, and i would keep playing pokemon with the same mentality i used to have when i just started playing, it would be rather sad. Just killing pokes for the sake of lvling up isn't enough. it might be enough for a kid in kindergarden age. i'm glad i got into these mechanics.

Hidden Power

Are you somehow prevented from beating the gyms and playing with your friends? Is someone holding a gun to your head and preventing you from doing so?

Dude, you're applying your sarcasm wrongly. Re-read his statement.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I still don't really get the difference between battling with an Npc to playing with another player.

The A.I. is as dumb as toast, and humans are as dumb as humans.

Competitive Pokemon involves prediction. Humans will switch their Pokemon out when the A.I. won't.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
I get why they're there and like I know it makes you're Pokemon stronger and stuff, but I don't use them. I understand EVs but not IVs. But I wouldn't have enough patience to train Pokemon in that way.
I don't think it affects the levels of funness though.

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
I liked Pokemon beofre EV's and such came in.
I just like to play it, I'm not competetive.
It's so complex. e3e

shadorai

wandering trainer
Iirc, Ev's and Iv's were in the original games, they just had different names.

Ev's= Stat Experience
Iv's= Dv's

sorry, what i meant by that is EVs and IVs in the way we know and use them today.

randomspot555

sorry, what i meant by that is EVs and IVs in the way we know and use them today.

They existed and were manipulated in Gen I as well. Just because they're done differently doesn't mean any different. If they didn't affect one's enjoyment in Gen I, they shouldn't in any other gen either.

Rakurai

I'm only really bothered by prevalence of weather and how crippling Stealth Rock is to certain Pokemon.

I think they really need to make Drizzle and Drought expire like standard weather and make Cloud Nine actually eliminate the weather instead of just suppressing its effects. I also think Stealth Rock needs to have a limited duration or for it disappear if it hits a Pokemon it's ineffective against or something like that.