• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have they made Brock into a Joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatch 89

I remember the episode where Ash was trying to get his first badge and had to face Brock. BROCK WAS A BAD ***!!! I wish he was more like that now.

Brock, you used to be cool man.

Oh, poor Brock... He really needs something to do nowadays.

Anyway, I think he provides as a great "intellectual" character in the group. He helps Ash and Dawn out when they're having problems figuring something out involving people or Pokemon, he seems to tolerate Paul's behavior regarding Pokemon (and even had a stern discussion with him), and has a running gag about him in which he loves every single girl/woman that is the same or an older age that he is that usually is never dismissed in the show. What's not to love? At least he has a solid, unique (or odd) character everyone can remember him for. He is the show's comedy relief next to TR.

Although, I wouldn't mind if the writers let him rest for a while in the next region or, heck, the end of Sinnoh. He's been around waaaay to long. Give him a girl at least...

Last edited:

Aeron

Bum Eyes
Brock is creepy, hanging around with ten year olds, he like never leaves.

Brock was a joke the minuet that started that absurd running gag with him and females.

Fable

Unless a show of watching someone groom and feed Pokemon is suddenly going to become lucrative, he will remain a joke and stay off the screen. Brock exists solely to:

(a) Run his tired shtick every episode.
(b) Feed the characters that actually do something.
(c) Comment on and explain what said characters do.

Truly, Brock is indispensable and should be treated with respect.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
The ironic thing is Brock's Pokemon do tend to evolve a lot.

That still doesn't do much for their personality if they never had one in the first place.

Brock is creepy, hanging around with ten year olds, he like never leaves.

I wouldn't even give Brock 18 in the age department. He seems to be only a few years older. Haven't you ever had a friend who was older then you?

Brock was a joke the minuet that started that absurd running gag with him and females.

I don't think he even made it through the first 26 episodes without wigging out once. My earliest memory of it was during " The School of Hard Knocks ".

Last edited:

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
I wouldn't even give Brock 18 in the age department. He seems to be only a few years older. Haven't you ever had a friend who was older then you?

Yet Brock hits on Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys from all over. I find it a _bit_ strange why a person who's only 13-14ish would hit on someone much older than him. :\

Arekku_Koro

Brock represents the young viewer's sexuality, therefore he often lusts at girls although he never gets with them. When he was about to suceed with Proffesor Ivy, something randomly terrible happened that nobody in the audience knows about.

It's not a joke, but a clever way to familiarize it's target audience, children age 6-10.

Fable

Brock represents the young viewer's sexuality, therefore he often lusts at girls although he never gets with them. When he was about to suceed with Proffesor Ivy, something randomly terrible happened that nobody in the audience knows about.

It's not a joke, but a clever way to familiarize it's target audience, children age 6-10.
Freud is alive and well.

This might come as a surprise mister Sigmund, but not everything is an allusion to sex. Much less a side character of a children's show based off a video game.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Yet Brock hits on Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys from all over. I find it a _bit_ strange why a person who's only 13-14ish would hit on someone much older than him. :\

They never return his advances, do they? It might be because he's just too young to be taken seriously. Happens all the time.

Brock does seem to have his limits. He tries to avoid going for anyone who is way younger (around Ash's age) or way older then him.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Seriously, you act as if he wasn't always a goofy, girl-chasing pot of knowledge who never battled or did anything productive. You realise his first battle after the gym matches was when Geodude got trashed in the P1 Grand Prix? And then Meowth beat Onix with a bucket of water... what else did Brock do in Kanto that he doesn't do now?

randomspot555

If anyone honestly doesn't know what happened with Brock and Ivy and why Brock no longer lives there, watch the episode. They explain it. It's just not explictly spelled out, but it's pretty obvious.

firelovindocker

what does a pokemon breeder even do?
he says he's a pokemon breeder but what does that even mean?
brock has no significant effect on the show and the writers should put him to rest
i was thnking what they could do with brock and i had an idea

pokemon competitor:
this is someone who has to win cups by playing in random games ( pokeringer, pokemon look-alikes .etc ) when the win 3 cups they enter the pokeathalon a set of gruelling tasks with your team to win the competitor flag

harryheart

If anyone honestly doesn't know what happened with Brock and Ivy and why Brock no longer lives there, watch the episode.

People just like to sepculate I believe as they thought that Brock would find true love or whatever! Doesn't really matter but the main point is that Ivy was needed for the GS ball and so either way we would have seen her!

And I finally worked out why its called the GS ball I believe - to promote Gold and Silver with the G and the S being the start of the game names​

Well firstly its in the name! What does an animal breeder do? They look after the animals and make them the best for contests by keeping them healthy and so on - especially dogs - and they also have a number of them and lastly they breed them​

Look at my last comment - basically he says he wants to become a good breeder and is working toward that - not that he is necesarily one at the moment​

brock has no significant effect on the show and the writers should put him to rest

*cough* why does everyone say that *cough* I must admit I think they could vary him every now and again but he has become a really needed person and a popular person in the anime. Yes he has his flaws but so do Ash, Misty, Tracey, May, Max, Dawn and the list goes on. Look at life is everyon perfect?

The effect he has on the show is that he is like the mature adult in the group even when he chaces girls because that's what grown men do - try to find love and flirt with any girl they see - he is also the caring, compassionate, doctor and so many more thigns to the group that if he leaves they would just have the same person replace basically. He may challenge something else but they would need to do the same job

Anyway there's me sticking up for Brock! Throughout the 12 years he has done some wacky thigns but he'll always be loved!​

Rex Kamex

And I finally worked out why its called the GS ball I believe - to promote Gold and Silver with the G and the S being the start of the game names​

No offense, but... people have already figured that out.

*cough* why does everyone say that *cough* I must admit I think they could vary him every now and again but he has become a really needed person and a popular person in the anime. Yes he has his flaws but so do Ash, Misty, Tracey, May, Max, Dawn and the list goes on. Look at life is everyon perfect?​

Even with flaws, Ash, May, and Dawn in particular have contributed more to the show and have had more screentime. And one of Brock's main flaws is not having much screentime these days.

The effect he has on the show is that he is like the mature adult in the group even when he chaces girls

How is he the mature adult even when chasing girls? (I don't dislike the flirting at all. It just doesn't appeal to me much anymore.)

because that's what grown men do - try to find love and flirt with any girl they see -

"Any girl they see"?

he is also the caring, compassionate, doctor and so many more thigns to the group that if he leaves they would just have the same person replace basically. He may challenge something else but they would need to do the same job​

The others are caring and compassionate. Even as the doctor though, Brock really should do more in the show. (They blatantly put him aside during the Shaymin movie.)

In any case, if the person the writers have in mind for replacing Brock is no better than Brock, they shouldn't replace him in my opinion. The refreshment of having a new character won't last long with me (if at all) if the replacement isn't anymore worth having than Brock. It'd be like me gaining excitement about a new season of Pokemon.

BlueVapor

Looking at Sinnoh, Brock has flirted, used his knowledge in more than a few situations, and battled maybe a couple of times. And people still think that Brock is needed, I don't. If replacing him with someone else means the new person will do the same thing, I'd still rather have the new person, at least it's a breath of fresh air.

If Brock had something to actually do, then his character would be ten times better. Ash has gym battles and Dawn has contests going for her, but Brock has nothing. The idea of Breeder competitions would be interesting, only if the writers handled the concept properly.

Vernikova

Champion
I wouldn't say that Brock is considered a joke on the show even if they do poke fun at him at times. I would consider him more of a comic relief character because of his antics with his Pokémon like Croagunk and his "relationship" with female characters on the show.

An00bis

Wicked Witch

Anime Pokemon Breeders are basically groomers. They're supposed to do whatever it takes to make a Pokemon it's most beautiful because when a Pokemon looks and feels good it plays a role in helping it grow strong. At least that was the gist of what was said back during Susie's debut episode.

It's just a sad thing that Pokemon Coordinators do basically the same thing with the preparation of Pokeblock / Poffins (like Brock's special Pokemon Food) to raise their Pokemon's condition so they look better during the nonexistent presentation round. Basically the same thing.

firelovindocker

Anime Pokemon Breeders are basically groomers. They're supposed to do whatever it takes to make a Pokemon it's most beautiful because when a Pokemon looks and feels good it plays a role in helping it grow strong. At least that was the gist of what was said back during Susie's debut episode.

It's just a sad thing that Pokemon Coordinators do basically the same thing with the preparation of Pokeblock / Poffins (like Brock's special Pokemon Food) to raise their Pokemon's condition so they look better during the nonexistent presentation round. Basically the same thing.

yeah, but does brock do that
he only cares around for his happiny
and the whole brock falling for a girl and then crogunk poision jabbing thing has gotten old

Alloute

Not Banned
Brock is a joke, he is comedy in human flesh, so to speak (I know it's an anime, don't quote me).

I haven't seen an episode dedicated to him in quite some time. His Steelix would've made him more popular, maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.