• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have they made Brock into a Joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
yeah, but does brock do that

... yes? He not only takes care of his Pokemon but he takes care of his friend's Pokemon in that aspect as well. It's just that the majority of what he does happens off screen because it's mediocre compared to seeing mindless battling.

I haven't seen an episode dedicated to him in quite some time.

I can think of at least three episodes where he was focal / important in Sinnoh alone.

Alloute

Not Banned
I can think of at least five episodes where he was focal / important in Sinnoh alone.

Key words hun: In quite some time^_^

I haven't seen any episodes that focus on him alone in awhile.

He is a joke, that's why he is the tallest member of the group, he's freakishly tall :/

he has become a joke and i deeply dislike him for it. I'm getting VERY sick of him.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Key words hun: In quite some time^_^

[spoil]
The Cherubi episode. They even showed all of his Pokemon doing the battling thing and had him front and center on the eye catch.
[/spoil]

There are some others where he played a relevant role: Doc Brock, Cream of the Croagunk Crop, Tanks for the Memories, One Big Happiny Family, and Leave it to Brocko. He was also in the Tag Battle Tournament, Summer School Program, and partnered with Ash in the Resort Cafe Challenge shortly before the Wallace Cup.

He doesn't actively compete like Ash or Dawn but he's definitely been active more this season then he has been in a while.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Partly yes. Brock still shows some shine although very rarely. Ever since D/P began, a lot of focus shifted away from him.

PDL

disenchanted
Partly yes. Brock still shows some shine although very rarely. Ever since D/P began, a lot of focus shifted away from him.

Are you positive about this? If anything they've given him a little more screen time.

It's just that every episode that focuses on him gets written off as a ignorable filler. Mostly because he doesn't get a trinket at the end of the episode.

You guys seem to forget that Brock's main purpose is to be merely a side character. Not everyone needs to have some sort of trinket quest. He's also the voice of reason and do you want an entire cast of immature kids?

Last edited:
I don't see what Brock could do different, i mean he is a breeder so he enjoys caring and looking after pokemon so there's not much more he can do.
In my opinion he should have way stronger Pokemon, i mean he was a gym leader.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
I really liked Brock in the Cherubi battle ep, he showed his serious side and did not flirt w/ the COTD (she was the one picturing him with the shojo background and sparkly eyes IIRC). He fought well and had good advice, did not come across so preachy as Ash does when he makes similar points. 'Paul, change your ways blah blah...'
I like his DP group of pokes, all 3 have personality continuing the trend started in Hoenn. His Johto pokes were duller IMO, Pineco's exploding gag not as funny as Croagunk's stab. The only thing I prefered of 'Classic Brock' was his Kanto clothes. He still wears nice earth tones but I can't figure what's up w/ his tucking pants into shoes. Is Velcro so important to him he want to show it off all the time?
Ah well. Brock had a handful of good teachable eps in DP and a few fun ones (cosplay, Croagunk festival). Even when he's just a BG chara he's still fun to me. I don't think Pokemon anime was meant to be uber-serius and enjoy the comic relief moments in it. Brock has his part in that and does it well.

pokemon fan 132

Personally i dont have nothing against Brock and its ungrateful to call him a joke.He has his qualities and is contributing to group in other areas like cooking,taking care of group being like older brother to Ash and Dawn.

Sure he doesnt battle much but thats more because of nature of his goal than anything else,which is more about taking care of pokemon,preparing food and vitamins for them,raising them to be in top form etc.

Nevertheless in case of him being replaced,that doesnt necessarily mean another person being his "clone".If said character has goal more connected with battle he would receive more screentime,and he doesnt need to cook aswell.However realistically speaking Brock isnt going anywhere,people can complain about him,but if he didnt left for 11 years already,its highly unlikely he would go now.

With this said and done,while i like Brock i also think he needs a small break from this show(though not permanent one like some people want) and in my opinion he should in that case be replaced with someone more interesting like Misty(to advance her goal and for other purposes),but thats just my opinion.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
He should get the spotlight, not Ash. Smarter, more sensible, better Pokemon... Instead, he's there just to be the counselor and cook. Shame.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
You guys seem to forget that Brock's main purpose is to be merely a side character. Not everyone needs to have some sort of trinket quest. He's also the voice of reason and do you want an entire cast of immature kids?

This is it basically.

In my opinion he should have way stronger Pokemon, i mean he was a gym leader.

Look at his complete lineup. His absolute strongest possible Team might even give Ash a run for his money.

h someone more interesting like Misty

That's a huge contradiction. Besides Misty's doing just what she wanted to do back at home; be a competent and respectable Gym Leader. Misty too suffers from virtually the same problems as Brock that she can't easily be given a goal like badge or ribbon collecting. As a Gym Leader it'd seem a moot point to have her earn Gym Badges and she isn't girl enough to be a Coordinator.

pokemon fan 132

That's a huge contradiction. Besides Misty's doing just what she wanted to do back at home; be a competent and respectable Gym Leader. Misty too suffers from virtually the same problems as Brock that she can't easily be given a goal like badge or ribbon collecting. As a Gym Leader it'd seem a moot point to have her earn Gym Badges and she isn't girl enough to be a Coordinator.

Are we even watching the same show?
Misty left the gym in order to become worlds best water trainer/water pokemon master and didnt want to leave the group in the first place becoming gym leader out of obligation when her sisters left her without choice("Gotta Catch Ya Later" episode).Her goal was never to become gym leadere but water pokemon master.
Nevertheless after that judging by some episodes after her departure(like "A Date With Delcatty"original version not dubbed one,and to some extent "A Real Cleffa Hanger") she showed displeasure with her current position implying/showing how she would rather want to travell,and isnt leaving gym because of her incompetent sisters to who she doesnt thrust enough.

Also being gym leader isnt enough to achieve what Misty wants to become and the only way to become stronger is by travelling,exploring new ideas,competing in competitions for water types similar to Whirl Cup,and battling against stronger trainers.So this is perfectly valid reason for her return.

Further to that in case of her return you cant judge how much she would receive screentime.Times are changed and writers have improved so hipothetically if this happens they would give her something to do,like competing in water based competitions being one option out of all possibillities).You know collecting badges and ribbons isnt the only thing which exists in anime.

But yes i made one mistake not being enough precise,what i meant is that i find Misty being more interesting than Brock is.Like i said this is what should happen in my opinion if Brock ever gets replaced(which probably wont happen for already mentioned reasons).

Last edited:

deon99

i totaly agree brock has been reduced to a cook hew hit's on irls his pokemon are great but he never gets a chance really to show them off that crogunk is a great pokemon alone

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
Brock has 100% beacame a group cook+healer+no-it-all.But he has one of the best pokemon in the anime(Croagunk)

H3R0

LordHotstuff
I Admit That They Reduced Him, But Not To A Joke. He's Like The Care-Taker Of The Group, And He Said That He Wants To Be A Breeder, So Maybe Thats Why He Doesnt Battle As Much...If He Does...That Happiny Would Be A Threat XD

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Misty isn't the same person she used to be back in Kanto or even Johto. Her character's matured considerably and I dare say she's " grown out " of the need to travel with the group just like May and Tracey. Misty's time as come and gone. I don't really see what else they could do with her character to make her any less of a beaten horse then Brock.

To me, in my perspective, she just had a great amount of ire for her older sisters because they were loved and respected for their beauty instead of their talents when it came to being Gym Leaders. Misty thought they were disgracing the gym for allowing Trainers through their challenge so easily so did what she can to make herself stronger so she can take the reins. In Chronicles we've seen her overcome her own kinds of challenges which may be less glamorous then Ash and May / Dawn do but is respectable in its own right. I think she's come to terms that if the gym's going to stay afloat then she's going to have to stay at the gym to make things right. Her three older sisters don't seem in the least bit interested in training Pokemon or improving their own skills.

I could have sworn she started traveling to force Ash to repay his debt, anyway.

To me Misty seems to care an awful lot about the Gym, it's condition, and it's honor to exert herself like she has. Her place is there with the Gym. It wouldn't feel right for her to abandon it after all the hard work she put into making sure it stayed afloat. Brock is different because there's someone willing to train and take on challengers while he's away with his reserves. That and he clearly said multiple times that he doesn't want to be a Gym Leader anymore. Misty pretty much wore her title on her arm and wasn't shy to say who she was in comparison.

Misty left the gym in order to become worlds best water trainer/water pokemon master

I take the whole -Insert Thing Here- Master thing with a shaker of salt.

blob

:( This topic makes me sad.

I'd rather have Takeshi do nothing, and be in the show than do something outside of the main cast.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I wish Brock acted as Ash's sparring partner a bit more often- Happiny, Sudowoodo and especially Croagunk are good in battle, and would make good practice opponents for at the start of an episode perhaps

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
:( This topic makes me sad.

I'd rather have Takeshi do nothing, and be in the show than do something outside of the main cast.

Que? So you wouldn't want an interesting character to be in the show and have interesting interactions with the main cast because you would miss Brock doing nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.