• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever beat a Pokémon game with a type-based team?

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I've always wanted to, but never got the motivation to do so. And I usually dislike deleting my saves.

A mono dark team is something I've always wanted to try out, though. Maybe one day.....

Chewiana Jones

Dunsparciologist
I beat Emerald with rock and ground types - Swampert, Aggron, Camerupt, Flygon, Solrock, and Armaldo. Besides Aggron and Flygon, I had never used any of them, and it was a lot of fun.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I beat Red (the original) with a mono-team of each type, with the exception of Dragon and Ghost since there was only one of each type, and they were practically unobtainable until too late in the game to make a difference.

Bug was exceptionally hard, I had nobody to trade with so had to use only five pokemon, as I couldn't obtain a Pinsir from trade. All the types with limited movepools were difficult, so Grass, Rock, Fighting. Psychic was the easiest, since it pretty much dominated the generation. Normal was easy thanks to the diverse moves, as was Water, Flying and Poison.

I've considered doing one with a new game, but I played Red dozens of times and got used to the game, I haven't played anything new anywhere near as much. Maybe after I've had a play-through of Omega Ruby once or twice.

MarinaS

sinnoh queen
I did a runthrough of Pokemon X using only fairy types! It was easy, considering the only weaknesses the type has is steel and poison.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I haven't, but I doubt it would make the games more challenging though.

I mean you can be overleveled to all the opponents very quickly in most games.

The only thing that would make the games challenging is being at a similar level as the opponent, which is why nuzlocke challenges make the games more challenging.

Amourshpping

For example, have you ever beat a Pokémon game with a team of all fire-type Pokémon?

I managed to beat Sapphire on my first try with all water-type Pokémon. I was only 10 when I beat it, so I was using anime-logic, and thought that if Misty had a team full of water Pokémon, and her team was strong, that I could beat the game that way.
Was it hard?

xEryChan

Demon Child
I've thought about it but I haven't actually yet.

For the most part, I like to mix up my teams and not use the same type throughout the game, I feel like I have more coverage if I do so.

Ice Lock

Hello!
Never really considered this before, but there's a first time for everything. Might give it a go at some point, it'll be something new to try out before ORAS.

Sprinter1988

In the old days of Red and Blue I did a water type run (Blastoise, Vaporeon, Lapras, Omastar, Starmie and Gyarados) and a poison type run (Venusaur, Nidoking, Beedrill, Golbat, Gengar and Weezing) and managed to complete the game both times.
I have tried several times to do it again with different teams but never really got anywhere. I think the best I did was on Emerald with a grass team (Sceptile, Shiftry, Ludicolo, Vileplume, Bellossom and Tropius) I got to about the seventh gym but got bored with it.
At the moment I'm trying to do an "earth" type run through on Y version- Earth meaning rock types and ground types (though not necessarily dual rock/ground) - it was going to just be ground, but then I wonder-traded away my starter (froakie) in the hopes of getting something decent to go alongside the Bunnelby I caught and I ended up with an Omanyte and so decided to go with it. I've just defeated the second gym and my team currently consists of Diggersby, Marowak, Donphan, Steelix, Amaura and Omanyte. (and yes, the Donphan I got as a Phanpy when I wonder-traded away my Charmander, although admittedly there were a few other trades in between before I got a type I could use!)

I did with my fire-type team. Of course there were some dual types.