• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever bought a 3rd gen game that was fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lemonkraken

The Toad Man Shuffle
Nope, not one time.

Ammako

I see... like a knock-off?
Well, I just saw Chaos Black on eBay... sounds quite interesting...
But, how do you explain the auto-deleting of your file?

Maybe as it is an fake game, the save thing doesn't "fits" really well with the Pokémon game, and causes data corruption?

DJDojo

Clefable in Disguise
I see... like a knock-off?
Well, I just saw Chaos Black on eBay... sounds quite interesting...
But, how do you explain the auto-deleting of your file?

Trust me, you don't want Chaos Black. The *meeping* game ain't even finished, and I should know...

aerisLana

i cannot believe
Oh yes, I used to buy them alot of times, without even recognizing that it was a fake. ;D My fakes are 2 Emeralds, 1 Sapphire, 1 Leaf Green, and a multiple card with a Ruby & Sapphire in it. Ugh, it sucks to have those games. >_>

Nidogod

No. Anyone should be smart enough to tell if a game is fake, and if they can't, they deserve a fake.

Actually, on eBay there's usually no way to tell at all. Of course you could argue that buying it on eBay itself is error enough, but it still isn't as easy as looking and knowing whether it's fake or not.

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
No i have never gottena fake cartridge, but i buy my games from Target, If your buying on ebay check the owner's Star thing it's if he's trustworthy or not.

DJDojo

Clefable in Disguise
Im glad i didnt have fake pokemon games but why would people buy choas black?

People buy Chaos Black for two reasons (my opinion):

1. They seriously think it's a real game made by Nintendo and Game Freak.

2. They want to play a "mod".

Anyways, I'm putting a list of fake Pokemon games and toys into my sig and in this post:
Fake Pokemon List

Absol trainer

Hidden Valley...
No, never got a fake cartridge. I always buy my games at truthsworthy gamestores so I don't think I will get a fake one ever.

snowwhiteminx

...but it's wrong!
Yup, used to have a fake Firered cartridge. I knew it was a fake at the moment I bought it - at a market in Turkey - but i didn't really care cause I was bored and didn't have many games with me. I gave it to a friend once I got a legit copy of FireRed.

TheTimeTraveller

Temporal Mastermind
Actually, on eBay there's usually no way to tell at all. Of course you could argue that buying it on eBay itself is error enough, but it still isn't as easy as looking and knowing whether it's fake or not.
That is a valid point. Many people probably were recommended Pokemon games and looked for a cheap place to buy them second-hand. One of the first places that would spring to mind is eBay. These people would have no idea it wasn't legit until someone who was a little more experienced sees them and tells them that the "auto restart" halfway through the storyline isn't a bonus feature, and is one of the tell-tale signs someone has tried to make an illegal copy, and then sold it cheap for profit.

kumarking

MAgMAMaN
The file gets deleted if you turn off the gba before the game properly saves itself
, since fake games usually do not have backup memory, the file is gone =(

Dark_Steelix

<~ Yo quiero!!
Lol Just to say Ebay isn't the only place where you can get fake games. On Separate occasions I have seen Fake (Black Cart) pokemon games for sale in the used section at EB Games. Lol I guess the staff are clueless half the time :/

yeah if an ebay auction uses a stock photo for the game picture, or they don't bother to show the catridge, then avoid it. You can easily tell most of the time from the catridge if its fake or not. Apart from the obvious black cart, some fakes also have the cover pokemon on the cart (eg rayquaza), which is BS, and some you can see that the cart isn't shiny like a regular cart, especially with R/S/E. Also don't mean to sound discriminate, but alot of the fake carts originate from China or Korea from what I've seen up for auction.

DJDojo

Clefable in Disguise
Also don't mean to sound discriminate, but alot of the fake carts originate from China or Korea from what I've seen up for auction.

That's true...I've also had a college friend from Indonesia give me a bootleg copy of Warcraft III & Warcraft III: Frozen Throne; they worked fine but were missing a music file, so about 15 minutes into playing the game the program would crash.

Joshehh

I got a copy of Emerald once off of eBay, it seemed real enough, and the seller seemed very reliable, but the saving function wouldn't work, every time it was turned off it just wiped. I never worked out if it was fake or just damaged, and the woman who sold it deactivated her account before I could try to return it.

Saanaito-Kun

Gardevoir Fan
Once, I received Shiny Gold X B5 as a gift. While it was nice to have a remake of G/S no matter how much it was a fake, it was still just a fake. 'Sides, it's normally free, no matter how... Unusual the methods can be to obtain it.

In addition, I once stupidly bought my friend a fake Fire Red off of Ebay, which had hacked starters (Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos) and above Pallet Town was a near infinite route, filled with random objects. When you finally got past that into Viridian City, there was a sign blocking the Poke'Mart, and the internal battery ran dry (so, I couldn't save at all without the data deleting itself). Ah well, at least I learned my lesson: Never buy games from Ebay unless you're absolutely sure it's not a stupid ROM hack that is messed up all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.