• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever broken your Nintendo game/console?

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
I was once happily playing pokemon black 2 on my 3ds when my 3ds suddenly died. every time I tried to turn it on it turned off a after a few seconds. I literally cried when that happened and I got a new 3ds but all data that wasn't on a game cartridge was gone forever. (I just forgot to take out my old 3ds' SD card before trading it in for a new one)

it also occured twice that my wii couldn't read my skylanders giants disc, but after cleaning it it could be read perfectly again

so did you ever broke one of your nintendo game cartridges/discs/consoles, accidental or deliberately? just discuss here

I once read some insane stories about a game cartridge or consore breaking which I don't believe, I heard about some people's dogs eating a cartridge (idk about those dogs' fates) and even about someone eating a nintendo 64 lol

Last edited:

chalkus

The power button on my NES got stuck for some reason, so every time I wanted to use it, I had to yank out the adapter and then plug it back in.

Space Ghost

The Enigma in Space
Broke an old DS Lite in half after losing on Mario Kart at the hands of a Blue Shell just moments before the line. It was a pretty instant Grand Prix so I think I acted accordingly.

But for some reason my White 2 doesn't play on any of DS' and 3DS' but that's about it.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Accidentally killed my high school exs' white DS Lite :c

I actually tried fixing it. The R button was the problem. Took it out and tried playing with the cables inside and... it just ripped. The console wouldn't light up. It actually still turns on, but it flickers for one second and shuts down. I actually still have it and wonder if it can ever be fixed.

Rakurai

I wasn't the one to break it, but my first Wii U got its video card shorted out by a power surge caused by a lightning strike that hit a power line about a block a way.

Zachmac

I popped the Circle Pad off my 3DS a couple months ago.
I still think people were over-exaggerating how easy it was to break when Smash 3DS first came out, but it was still probably one of the major contributing factors. I played that game a lot.

It still works without the circle pad, albeit it's a bit uncomfortable. I'm using the D-pad whenever I can until I get it replaced.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I've had a few consoles break over the years, my old Gamecube eventually lasted out quite some time until the disk reader broke, must have gotten a nasty scratch at some point and it never worked again. My controllers are also unusable now after extensive use in Brawl with one being randomly unresponsive and the other having its wire broken. The latter one actually works fine but because of the wire being on the verge of shorting out it actually melted a part of the plastic controller, so it's basically a safety hazard if it's plugged in.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
When I was young I had the original DS and a wristlet to keep in attached. I used to spin in a circle like some people would with keys. I threw it a couple of times and one of the hinges finally broke. I stopped after that.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
When I was six I woke up grabbed my Gameboy Color and wrapped it inside my Pokemon Red/Blue strategy guide book, than I went to grab some clothes from my dresser. I stuck it between my arm so that I could use both hands and I reached up. As I did that I could heard my Gameboy sliding out but I couldn't stop myself in time. I had Tinker Toys scatter about my room and it fell face down onto one of the big wheels cracking the screen. That was the only problem with it, you could still play games and hear just you couldn't see anything.

I saved money to buy another one yet at the time the GameBoy Advance was announced so I aimed for that instead. Once I saved enough to get one I swore to take better care of my handhelds, and consoles. However I couldn't stop my little sister from throwing my GBA down the stairs or against the wall whenever she was mad at me. Yet, unlike my GBC my GBA went through so much of a beating and scratches it still worked without a problem. The only other broken thing was my DS Lite mic not wanting to work one day unless I plugged in a headset. Beyond that I've made sure to take care of my electronics.

Last edited:

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
My original gameboy stopped working and I also lost it. The screen cracked in 1 of my gameboy advances (I had 4 XD) and one of the hinges on my current ds lite broke and I had nintendo fix it.

Last edited:

Spacial

procrastination
My L button on my 3DS stopped working for a bit because I was playing too much Kid Icarus but now it's fine. Other than that, no.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Nephew punched the screen of my Wii U Gamepad after losing a game during a Splatfest.

Needless to say he doesn't touch my stuff anymore.

Shinehollow

Turning that frown all the way down
My DS Lite's left speaker stopped working,and the top screen glitches sometimes,but all the buttons still work perfectly fine.But,my 3DS' right shoulder button has stopped working.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
One of my brothers many years ago broke my GameBoy Color chucking it against the wall because he was angry I was playing his Kirby Tilt 'N' Tumble without his permission. He had to share his GameBoy with me until we got our own GBA SPs.

We're on our third Wii console, as it would stop reading discs out of the blue. We jokingly blamed the one brother for breaking the second one immediately after he finished playing a game. It's pretty unfortunate especially since the newer Wii models aren't equipped with backwards compatibility.

I think our N64 is the second one we've had, I could've sworn the first one broke shortly after we moved over ten years ago. I'm probably remembering wrong and it's the same one we've had since I was a kid, just with a different battery, but I dunno, I distinctly remember it once having a white stain on it.

As for breaking games, our Brawl doesn't work very well anymore due to awful scratches. And while it still works, the bottom half of the cover to my Ruby version broke off due to mishandling on my part (because I used to carry it around in my backpack to play at school, and so it must have broke that way).

Last edited:

MDS777

The name's Riley
When I was playing Pokemon (I think it was Platinum), I was laying down on the carpet playing the game. I placed down my DS to get up and without realizing my DS was below me (duh!), I smashed the touch screen with my knee. The touch function still worked, but the display was messed up. Also, my L+R buttons have stopped working on my DSi, but I don't really consider it as broken.

MilesPikachu

Furrymon
I broke my GBC screen and I don't know how (Last year), I think it was getting enough old.

Oh, and my DS Lite flex got broken 2 years ago by time, the screen stop working too, and then I got robbed.

Ah, and my Mystery Dungeon: Explorer of Times got damage thanks to dust and it hardly work now :(

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
My crazy then stepmother threw my GBA out the window. Truth be told, I was a little rough on it myself, but family troubles didn't help.[/dysfunctional family story]

It wasn't broken, but after a while I tried to sell it, I couldn't even get the game store to take it off my hands.