• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever broken your Nintendo game/console?

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
bought a game second-hand and it froze 3 times already

boght the prequel of that game, also second-hand and it crashed literally 2 minutes after I started it

Bubbles18

The Crazy Eevee Lady
My first DS - the original blue one, the hinges came loose after a while, then the bottom screen stopped working - I was playing one of the Pokemon Ranger game at the time, so I probably overdid the styler - I got the series at the same time so it was kind of one after the other.

So I borrowed my sister's pink one - she gave that one to my mum when she got the DS Lite - and split orange juice on it. Bottom screen got sticky but I managed to clean it. After a while, it stopped turning on altogether.

I got the 3ds since then and haven't had a problem with any of my consoles - so far - or any of my games (thankfully. I would cry badly if something were to happen them).

However it does look like my copy of The Last Remnant for the 360 might be getting a little worn out since I keep playing it.

M.P.

Retired
My original DS Lite's hinges broke after a couple of years... don't remember anymore why, I guess it had fallen off a table or something. Bought a new one soon after.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I remember a couple of times where several Nintendo systems and games I owned broke.
  1. I got angry while playing PMD: Red Rescue Team on my GBA SP. I got frustrated trying to beat Articuno so I throw the cartridge against the wall. The impact internally damaged the cartridge so it could no longer save.
  2. While playing my Nintendo Wii a family member was vacuuming and the vacuum caught sensor bars cord. The cord was severed by the rotary mechanism and I ended up having to buy a new wireless one.
  3. A few months later that wireless sensor bar stopped working because it required so many AA batteries. When I opened the battery compartment I found the batteries had leaked acid. Plus it warped the plastic so it couldn't work anymore.
  4. I dropped a Nintendo DSi and White Version cartridge into so water. At first the system wouldn't restart but I used a fan to dry it and both pieces worked after that.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
My two DS Lites are broken in multiple ways. Some ways I can remember are broken L/R buttons on both, broken touch screens on both, one of them only has one working speaker, one of them has a broken microphone, one of them can no longer play DS games (They don't "click" to stay in the slot.), one of them has the top screen occasionally turn all or mostly white, one of them has a random line going through the top screen while turned on, and the last time I checked, the older one wanted me to set up everything like time, name, birthday, etc. which hints at possible battery issues.

My original 3DS's 3D switch broke so that it never turns off, which is bad for my eyes. The charging port (I might have that name wrong) also broke so chargers wouldn't work very well, if at all. (I had a 2nd 3DS when this started and that's how I learned it wasn't the charger that broke) I had to get out the charging dock I hadn't used since the time I got the 3DS and it charged perfectly fine with that. Finally, the battery started swelling and the charging dock was no longer the answer to my problems. I stopped playing this 3DS and I'm not sure if I care enough now to get it fixed. Most of my games were physical and can be played on my 2nd 3DS.

I had an old 3DS XL that stopped charging for no particular reason... I stopped playing it and eventually lost it, but a couple of years later I found it and it started charging again! I have no idea how it happened, but I still use it to this day. I can’t use WiFi on it because Settings were locked through Parental Controls and my mum forgot the password, it that’s not really related to breaking it...

My DSi and other 3DS are actually perfectly fine! The former is most impressive as I’ve had my DSi since I was 7 and it still works perfectly to this day. I scoured Amazon for a Pokemon 3DS protector for the old 3DS and found a nice Japanese one, so I’m unlikely to get into any incidents with that anytime soon.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I'ved had terrible luck with Nintendo consoles.

My first Gamecube stopped working for no particular reason. My first DS had the top screen stop working. Had 2 3DS' have the right hinge fall off.

The 1st 3ds was random. The second 3ds was because i saw it start to crack and super glued it. Then it Broke worse :oops:

Also, way back when, my Game Boy color's sound stopped working. Could still play games fine though.

Acerola

::A Smitten Kitten With One Mitten::
The closest I've been to breaking my nintendo game, would be my emerald save file getting dry battery haha :c

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I broke my first nintendo ds lite. I dropped it while playing it over at a candy store....and then the screens split. It still worked for awhile that way, but only for about 2 weeks. Then I had to buy a new one and toss it :/

I also broke my 2ds a little. It still plays, but after dropping it just ONCE, it doesn't read games well. Whenever I switch games in it, the older games have a way of never working again when I go back to them....Its weird.

Acerola

::A Smitten Kitten With One Mitten::
I broke my first nintendo ds lite. I dropped it while playing it over at a candy store....and then the screens split. It still worked for awhile that way, but only for about 2 weeks. Then I had to buy a new one and toss it :/

I also broke my 2ds a little. It still plays, but after dropping it just ONCE, it doesn't read games well. Whenever I switch games in it, the older games have a way of never working again when I go back to them....Its weird.
I've dropped my psp multiple times, and it still works (luckily) the thing must be built like a Nokia XD

Platina2000

One of my first Gamecube controllers. I got mad while playing a game I couldn't beat and kept slamming my hand on it, causing the rubber grip to pop into the controller, and it stopped working after that. Had to throw it away. Then my first DS, one of those old fat DS's, the top screen broke and I had no clue how. My brother gave me his after that since he stopped playing it. And just a couple years ago, I had to throw out my Wii due to the disc drive not working anymore. I bought another one after that, a used one, but it works. My N64 randomly stopped working one day, and I never found out why. It works now, so it must've had something to do with the outlet it was in. Finally, I recently, two months ago actually, had to get a new power adapter for the WiiU because my old one stopped working, and I never found out why.

As for games themselves, I broke the bottom of Zelda OOT for the N64 by accident, rendering it unplayable. I broke a Gamecube disc by accidentally pressing my knee against it while changing out discs. I've nearly broke my 3DS last year, too. I forgot what I was doing at the time, but the bottom of the console was pulled apart and had to get a replacement motherboard, so it's working again.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Nope. But a piece of my old 3ds came off when I was playing a game. I'm thinking it was due to it being so hot that it finally just came off.

The only Nintendo thing I remember I broke was my copy of Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire after it randomly deleted all my records and dex. Basically the entire cartridge was reset for no apparent reason. Was so mad I took it out and threw it against the wall. It didn't work after that. Opened the game to see the damage and several internal parts got broken off.

Kinda regretted it but hey it wasn't a main pokemon game so it could've been worse.

Pokemon Power

Only once for me. My old DS got it's two screens disconnected one year on vacation. I had it immediately replaced by a DS Lite.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
My two DS Lites are broken in multiple ways. Some ways I can remember are broken L/R buttons on both, broken touch screens on both, one of them only has one working speaker, one of them has a broken microphone, one of them can no longer play DS games (They don't "click" to stay in the slot.), one of them has the top screen occasionally turn all or mostly white, one of them has a random line going through the top screen while turned on, and the last time I checked, the older one wanted me to set up everything like time, name, birthday, etc. which hints at possible battery issues.

My original 3DS's 3D switch broke so that it never turns off, which is bad for my eyes. The charging port (I might have that name wrong) also broke so chargers wouldn't work very well, if at all. (I had a 2nd 3DS when this started and that's how I learned it wasn't the charger that broke) I had to get out the charging dock I hadn't used since the time I got the 3DS and it charged perfectly fine with that. Finally, the battery started swelling and the charging dock was no longer the answer to my problems. I stopped playing this 3DS and I'm not sure if I care enough now to get it fixed. Most of my games were physical and can be played on my 2nd 3DS.

To add to my original post, I have also broken a few Wii nunchuks, a Gamecube controller, The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons, Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia, and Pokemon Platinum.
The Wii Nunchuks all had the same problem of disconnecting/making the game play on its own. I'm probably just really bad at putting controllers away safely. The Gamecube controller I can't remember well but I think the A button or control stick got less responsive after I played a lot of Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons broke randomly. If I try to turn on the game, it goes to a blank screen no matter what I do. From what I've read online, this isn't what happens when the battery dies, so I might not be able to fix it. Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia became physically broken and I don't remember how. I have to keep it in a plastic case so it can't get worse. As for Pokemon Platinum, the save file became broken. I won't explain how, but if I try to start where I last saved, it freezes. I could just delete the save file, but I don't really want to.

Midnite♪

Distant Stargazer
I've accidentally snapped a few DS styli due to heavy-handedness back in the day.
And this wasn't my doing, but my first Nintendo 64 actually caught fire years ago. Thankfully it was confined inside the N64 itself and nothing else was harmed, but the surprise and fear when I saw smoke coming out of the vent and smelled the burning plastic still haunts me to this day.