• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever encountered Pokérus?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Pokérus is a virus that Pokémon can sometimes catch. Unlike real-life viruses, however, Pokérus is actually a good thing, and it can help your Pokémon grow stronger and more powerful. Like real viruses, it can spread from Pokémon to Pokémon, and it goes away after a few days.

Have you ever had a Pokémon that has had this virus? For the record, I haven't (at least not from what I remember from almost 20 years of playing the games), but I just like to hear everyone's stories about it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think I first encountered the virus in Silver version and only found out that my Pokemon had it because the nurse at a Pokemon Center told me about it. I don't remember which Pokemon contracted it first, but I remember thinking that it was a pointless virus until I found out what the benefits of it were later on.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
First time I encountered pokerus was in Platinum I remember just going to the Pokecenter for another routine heal up and I caught a glimpse of the nurse mentioning it before tapping away. Now I have Pokerus Pokes stored in game and Pokémon Home.

Yeah, a few times actually.

The first time was during my first playthrough of LeafGreen. I remember catching it somewhere on the Sevii islands after a battle. Deliberately infected all my pokemon after I initially found out.

The second time was on Diamond, I remember my Roselia catching it slightly before the 4th gym.

Last time was during my Y playthrough, don't remember which mon actually caught it though. When Bank was released I eventually brought over all of my infected pokemon as well.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The only time I've ever had Pokerus is a playthrough of Black 2, my starter Oshawott had it at the beginning of the game, and I passed it on to a few more Pokemon before it faded. I didn't think it was still a feature in the games.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Encountered it naturally twice, once in Platinum and once Heart Gold. Can't recall if I got Pokerus in other games since I made it a habit of transferring up Pokerus infected Pokemon to other games.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The only time I've ever had Pokerus is a playthrough of Black 2, my starter Oshawott had it at the beginning of the game, and I passed it on to a few more Pokemon before it faded. I didn't think it was still a feature in the games.

Was Pokérus in Gen 1? I only really remember it being a thing from Gen 2 onwards, and I didn't play much of the Gen 1 games.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Nope, never caught it. I've never really understood its purpose even after looking it up, though sometimes I wish the anime would've touched on it more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the one episode of Chronicles talked about it briefly, because a Team Rocket scientist wanted to utilize it and kidnapped Oak for information, and then it was dropped in the same episode. Honestly sucks.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Nope, never caught it. I've never really understood its purpose even after looking it up, though sometimes I wish the anime would've touched on it more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the one episode of Chronicles talked about it briefly, because a Team Rocket scientist wanted to utilize it and kidnapped Oak for information, and then it was dropped in the same episode. Honestly sucks.

Yeah, I think that was the episode Oaknapped. The anime doesn't really elaborate on the game mechanics much.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Usually, if I get Pokérus, it's from a trade. I don't remember ever encountering it naturally (i.e. in the wild in-game, or one of my Pokémon just randomly catches it).

zolios

I usually get it by trading for an already infected Pokemon but the one and only time I found a Pokerus randomly in the wild was around 3 years ago when I replayed my White 2. I was training my Pokemon in the Virbank Complex for my upcoming Virbank Gym battle and when I went back to heal in the PC, Nurse Joy told me that my Pokemon were infected with Pokerus.