• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever encountered Pokérus?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I usually get it by trading for an already infected Pokemon but the one and only time I found a Pokerus randomly in the wild was around 3 years ago when I replayed my White 2. I was training my Pokemon in the Virbank Complex for my upcoming Virbank Gym battle and when I went back to heal in the PC, Nurse Joy told me that my Pokemon were infected with Pokerus.

What Pokémon was it?

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
I had encountered Pokérus as early as Pokémon Sapphire. I haven’t seen it myself since Pokémon Black eons ago. I had honestly forgotten it had existed until relatively recently when I had seen someone’s Pokémon in Shield have the little noninfectious symbol on some of their Pokémon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
First time was in X. I don't remember if this was a GTS trade or truly random

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Naturally and without trading for it? I recall obtaining it twice: once in White 2 and another time in what I believe was HeartGold (but I can't put my finger on it on this one). I remember not really paying attention to the nurse but I noticed her dialogue being longer than usual. That's when I caught a glimpse of words like "rare" and "virus" and my heart jumped! Thankfully a quick search on Bulbapedia put me at ease soon after!

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
One of my story team 'mons in UltraMoon got it really randomly at one point. Let it be known that I don't trade unless I'm looking for version exclusives yet I've never gotten Pokerus through trading, so the fact it just popped up for me after a battle randomly was weird and I thought something was off given I didn't DO anything that's the usual way of getting it. I still don't know how I did to this day.

zolios

What Pokémon was it?

I was training my team for the Roxie fight at the time and I didn't check my Pokemon's summaries until I went back to the PC to heal after 20 or 30 minutes of training. So I most likely "caught" it from some random wild Pokemon and by the time I found out about it the PKRS has already spread to half of my Pokemon so I don't know who got it first. Those first Pokemon that had it after I found out about it and checked were my starter Servine, Purrloin and I think Koffing. I later spread it to a lot more of my Pokemon and I still have it on that game on random Pokemon I keep in the boxes.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Is there even a way to trigger it in Sword/Shield? I only got it from a breeder who was specifically infecting their Eiscues with Pokerus - I forget how, I think he was bringing them over from a previous game.

I think it's just randomly encountered, like in any other game.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
I got it traded in Y, then recently in an Emerald playthrough got it randomly.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i got it 2-3 times in the gen6 and gen7 games all by myself without a trade, i believe the 3rd time was in gen8 that i came across it.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I've actually encountered it several times, the first one being in Ruby. I also had Pokemon with it in Sapphire, Emerald, Platinum, Pearl, HeartGold, SoulSilver and Black 2.

Were all those random encounters or were they traded?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think it happened while level grinding, so yes, those were all random.

What are the chances of encountering Pokérus? Is it about the same as finding a shiny?

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
What are the chances of encountering Pokérus? Is it about the same as finding a shiny?
Shiny chance is 1 in 8096.
Pokérus chance is approximately 1 in 21845.
Pokérus is about 2.5 times rarer than finding a shiny.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Shiny chance is 1 in 8096.
Pokérus chance is approximately 1 in 21845.
Pokérus is about 2.5 times rarer than finding a shiny.

Ah, but what are the chances of finding a shiny with Pokérus? :p