• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever enjoyed a series more than their respective games?

Have you enjoyed a series more than their respective games?

• Kanto

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Johto

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Unova

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Kalos

Votes: 30 51.7%

• Total voters

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
XY Anime was leagues better than the games
BW games were leagues better than the anime

Everything else I'm not entirely clear on since I've not watched a lot of it, but I'd probably lean towards the games as I have not heard flattering things about anime Groudon, Kyogre, Palkia and Dialga (although their portrayals in the Mega Evolution specials and movies were great and memorable)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
XY Anime was leagues better than the games
BW games were leagues better than the anime

Everything else I'm not entirely clear on since I've not watched a lot of it, but I'd probably lean towards the games as I have not heard flattering things about anime Groudon, Kyogre, Palkia and Dialga (although their portrayals in the Mega Evolution specials and movies were great and memorable)

Oh yeah, if you're talking about the Groudon vs Kyogre finale in the AG anime, trust me it sucked very badly. As you've said, they redeemed it spectacularly in the Mega Evolution act III, which many consider one of the finest Pokémon episodes ever. And ironically, it still counts more towards XY and Kalos anime credit.

The Dialga and Palkia one was alright, but it was too brief and the lack of Giratina sort of ruined the Team Galactic finale which felt very anticlimatic. Atleast the Sinnoh trio had very good showings in the DP movies.

So barring the Kalos anime being leagues better than the games, I'd also say that the Indigo League season of OS was better than Pokémon RBY games. And I'd consider the Sinnoh games equal to the Sinnoh anime as I found both were good.

The rest I find the games to be much better, with the most obvious one being BW. From having the best story in all Pokémon games, and in general being one of the best Pokémon games, we got the worst Pokémon anime to go alongside it.

Last edited:

gentwoer

Gen 1- Hard to say. Part of me would say the anime because the games were still primitive. But the anime also had Ash only earning 4 of his badges (really only 3 since fighting Team Rocket instead of Giovanni was basically a freebie) I'll give this to the anime because it made the gym leaders; especially Sabrina a lot more interesting than their rather flat personality in the games.

Gen 2- Hahahahaha the games win this so bad its not even funny. The pacing of the anime was AWFUL here. It took Ash about 60 episodes to get the 8 Kanto badges. In that time he only got 3 Johto badges. No wonder I and most fans stepped out around this time Of course my favorite games become my most hated part of the series

Gen 3- Also tough. I mean if it weren't for Max existing the anime would probably win. I guess the games because its more of a fresh start. The anime really should have dumped Ash at this point and made May, Brendan, and I dunno uh Wally the new trio.

gen 4- I need to actually play the games for this one whoops

gen 5- To the best of my knowledge the anime didn't have the weak attempt at "depth"

gen 6-The games

Halolady

walking on eggshells
You know what? I think I might've actually enjoyed the BW anime more than the BW games, now that I think about it.

It's probably because I'm just not as big a fan of the BW games in the first place. Unova was just way too linear; none of the Pokemon really stood out to me; and while there was more emphasis on the plot this time 'round, I found it to be rather clumsily-handled overall with a rather weak conclusion.

The anime, on the other hand, was pretty fun for me. Yeah, the writing was pretty bad; but the characters were fun for the most part (I quite liked Iris!), and the series still had that overall humourous tone to keep me entertained throughout.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
You know what? I think I might've actually enjoyed the BW anime more than the BW games, now that I think about it.

It's probably because I'm just not as big a fan of the BW games in the first place. Unova was just way too linear; none of the Pokemon really stood out to me; and while there was more emphasis on the plot this time 'round, I found it to be rather clumsily-handled overall with a rather weak conclusion.

The anime, on the other hand, was pretty fun for me. Yeah, the writing was pretty bad; but the characters were fun for the most part (I quite liked Iris!), and the series still had that overall humourous tone to keep me entertained throughout.
Agreed. Although BW2 is one of the best games to date in my opinion, the orginal Black and White games were a mess. The new Pokemon just felt like copies of past Pokemon and the whole "truth vs ideals" plot kinda went nowhere. The only real highlight I found of those games were Cheren and Bianca (still kinda salty they never interacted in anime and the anime basically made them complete strangers). I was glad when BW2 fixed Unova's linear problems and added old generation Pokémon back.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
BW were decent, but had flaws. The story was great, but everything else was IMO a step back from DP except the Pokemon selection, which was as shitty and...well the game speed. BW anime and BW games are on a same level for me. But BW2>BW anime.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I so far have not enjoyed a generation's anime more than its game. However, if it wasn't for the fact that 6th generation was the birth of trainer customization and PR videos, I may have enjoyed the anime more than the games. Yes, even I, someone who thinks XY(Z) gets too much praise and who preaches about not being invested in the anime, have had my fair share of thrills and good times with said anime.

gentwoer

.[/QUOTE]

The plot of BW is just so bad that I'm honestly less insulted by a complete lack of a plot in gen 1. For a game that keeps preaching truth and ideals and difference of opinions it sure takes a very simplistic and one sided answer. I've seen people say the reveal with Ghetsis was a cop out but its not not really. Because right away you have this group preaching about the liberation of Pokemon.....while using Pokemon in pokeballs including the character who is suppose to sincerely believe in the cause? What? It's just sooo stupid.

Not that there isn't good things about Black and White. Bianca is great (Cheren can choke) I loooved the decision to only include the new Pokemon until the post-game as it forced me and others to not rely on old favorites as opposed to X/Y which practically hands you old favorites. Unova itself is too linear but the cityscapes and whatnot look great.

The mind blowingly player insulting story just brings it down so much.

Halolady

walking on eggshells
^I found BW's plot to be...incompetently-handled, in terms of execution. You simply just don't set up a question as the central theme of your story, only to dodge that question entirely by revealing a complete cop-out at the end (which is basically what Ghetsis's "real" plan was).

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thoroughly enjoyed the Best Wishes saga more than I liked the games it was based on. Isshu seemed so visually dour in Black and White, and Best Wishes fixed that by giving the region more color and vitality.

Mr. Oshawott

Although I had some fun playing the games of Diamond and Pearl, I got more enjoyment out of watching the show of DP since it had more going on in-between certain moments.

Johtohfiller

XY game underwhelmed me aside from the Pokemon designs (Hawlucha #1!). I liked the anime a whole lot more.

I also enjoyed Kanto more than Red/Blue due to how unbalanced the first gen games were.