• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever had a Pokémon disobey you?

c1234

Trainer Since '98
I haven't had any over leveled Pokemon since probably Gold version.

Always a delicate balancing act, trying to be powerful enough to easily defeat the opponents, but also trying to have your Pokemon still obey you.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I tried to import a bunch of Pokemon into Yellow when I was younger to take on Brock. It did not end well.

Other than that, the only other Pokemon that has consistently not listened to me has been Ash-Greninja during my first run of Ultra Sun. It basically worked like it had Truant as its ability and it was so much higher than a lot of the other Pokemon that it didn't make too much of a difference. I still feel like it was a bit of an insta-win button in the early game and that my other Pokemon were underleveled as a result which is why I had to start over.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I tried to import a bunch of Pokemon into Yellow when I was younger to take on Brock. It did not end well.

I also tried to take on Brock with stronger 'mons imported back from Silver to Yellow (Silver was my sort of main game at the time). You can sort of guess what happened. :rolleyes:

You can still get Ash-Greninja? I might use him for Ultra Sun.

Last edited:

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
You can still get Ash-Greninja? I might use him for Ultra Sun.

It's kind of convoluted. I think you have to import him from the demo into a copy of Sun or Moon, then trade or Pokebank him over to Ultra Sun.

I'd really wait to use him until after the second island though. Not so much because he doesn't always listen but because as I mentioned earlier I relied on him too much against totems like Marowak and it came back to bite me in the later game.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'd really wait to use him until after the second island though.

I was planning to use Starmie as part of my US team, and you can get her on the second island anyway. So I might add Greninja on by then.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
One time I traded over my level 100 Event Reshiram over towards Black so I can beat Burgh (I found him to be the hardest gym leader of all time). I barely won that battle...

manaphysuki

yeah... it was on alpha sapphire that i got through trade a chinchou at lv 25 before i got her baby chinchou *she's a lanturn now*, she didn't listen to me more then a couple of times in roxanne's gym

that never happened to me before with any of my other pokemon....

it kinda made me a little sad to be honest :(

*but everything is fine now ^^ *

nel3

Crimson Dragon
its happened several times. i like to send over pkmn from my other games when i start a new game.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
No of course not, I am a great trainer, just don't go looking in my basement there are no dead disobedient Pokemon bodies down there :D

In all seriousness yes, back when I was younger, I am sure everyone has and I mean that sincerely :)

JW1004

A few times, especially in XY where I did like half in-game/half Wonder Trade teams.
I get why it is part of the games, to not make it too easy. But with the whole Affection and Happiness mechanisms, there should be ways to basically 'avoid' it, since it seems weird that a pokemon doesn't obey, but doesn't get under confusion because you played a lot with it in Amie or refresh

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
A few times, especially in XY where I did like half in-game/half Wonder Trade teams.
I get why it is part of the games, to not make it too easy. But with the whole Affection and Happiness mechanisms, there should be ways to basically 'avoid' it, since it seems weird that a pokemon doesn't obey, but doesn't get under confusion because you played a lot with it in Amie or refresh

Amie/Refresh, the EXP Share now being able to be turned on or off and fast levelling-up are the reasons I breezed through the Gen 6 and 7 games. I beat X, Omega Ruby and Sun in one week.

(By comparison, I beat Platinum in two months.)

Cool Rafe

Cold & Anti-social
It was hell using traded Pokémon before we are able to obtain the 2nd badge in the gen 1 - 6 games. Always thought they set the level too low from which Pokémon start to disobey. A level 11 Pokémon starts disobeying, like wth? Thankfully they've changed the mechanics of this in gen 7.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
In one of my Silver plays back when I was a kid, I had gotten the tradeable Onix before I beat Falkner, because I really wanted to win.

Little did I know, that Onix would not pay me any mind. It ended up losing to Falkner's team. I eventually stored it in the PC and left it to die.

Last edited:
Yeah, when using traded pokemon or ones from in game trades.

However, for many years I thought this applied to all pokemon, even your own. From when I started playing during gen 1 all the way till gen 5 or 6 I thought this was a thing and was always afraid my mons become too high levelled.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh yes. I remember one time in Pokemon Colosseum where one of my Pokemon hit me. Caught me off guard :p.

Your Pokémon hit you? You mean it was confused and hit itself, or it hit your ally?

One time I traded over my level 100 Event Reshiram over towards Black so I can beat Burgh (I found him to be the hardest gym leader of all time). I barely won that battle...

You probably chose Snivy as your starter. I chose Tepig and didn't have much trouble... apart from his Dwebble.

Gizmoduck

Burns eternally hot
I have, yet I'm drawing a blank at when exactly.

All I can recall for certain was my very first time playing Blue, since I had no idea what I was doing. I remember having one disobey from a trade, and being paranoid as all hell my own would start disobeying at a certain level cap; unaware entirely it only referred to traded Pokemon.

Feel like I've been pretty careful since then, though.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Your Pokémon hit you? You mean it was confused and hit itself, or it hit your ally?

You probably chose Snivy as your starter. I chose Tepig and didn't have much trouble... apart from his Dwebble.
It hit me! XD I remember when it happened and I didn't think it could hit me. (It may have been my ally, but I think it was my character.)