• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever had someone you know die? Have you witnessed their death?

Grei

not the color
Sorry to bring up such a morbid topic, but recently, someone I knew was killed in a car accident. He was a good person, and his death shocked the community. He was my first real experience with death--although my grandparents are dead, they all died before I was born, and nobody else that I know has died.

I've never witnessed a death, and I can't imagine doing so.

What about you?

i am the thestrals. its me.

but seriously yeah, my grandfather died of skin cancer when i was 12ish. it sucked because he was a cool guy. :c

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
I had my share of experiences with death. My first one was in middle school, my grandfather died of natural causes. I lost two friends in two separate car related accidents. I had one acquaintance (I say "acquaintance" because I had limited but good experiences with them.) die in a third car incident and one girl I knew committed suicide.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I have known people who died, but the only person whose death I've ever experienced where it wasn't their "time" was my friend in 1st grade. She died in a horseback riding accident, and she was only 6. It was extremely upsetting at the time to realize that children could in fact die, given that I was also 6 years old. Her parents couldn't handle it and divorced a year after her death. I still think about that sometimes.

chocoboy

In School
Yeah. My grandfather died but I wasn't there with him. It's too bad. I didn't even know him that well because he lived in China:(

Asterio

My grandfather on my dad's side died when I was 15 (I think, can't really remember which year it was). He died of natural causes.

My other grandfather died when I was 3, so I don't remember him whatsoever, but I have seen pictures of him holding me and what not.

The very first funeral I attended was for a distant cousin who I didn't know very well when I was young.
The first death that truly affected me was the death of my grandfather, from cancer, when I was in 6th grade. Shortly after that, my uncle died from lung cancer, and then my grandmother (who I didn't know very well) from general illness. I know these all affected my mom more than anything... Another one of my uncle's also recently passed away...

My now-ex boyfriend's (although we're still friends) mother died a few winters ago, while we were still dating. That was incredibly hard to deal with as well, because it was so unexpected...

I've never witnessed anyone's death, fortunately. Hopefully it stays that way

Jupetta

I haven't quite witnessed the death of somebody whom I knew personally, but I have seen somebody die before my eyes. Two years ago, I was driving home with my parents when this guy in his early twenties darts in front of us on a dirtbike (illegal to drive on the street), obviously drunk and not paying attention to where he was going. The moment that my father commented on how he was likely to crash into someone, he was hit by a car and flung into a brick wall, dying on impact. It is interesting how frail the human body looks when thrown at such speeds. Oh, well! The lesson I learned was to not be so stupid.

~;354;

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I held my mom's hand as she died in a hospital. Lung Cancer. Other than that There is a long list of family and friends who have died in my life. Sucks growing old!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
My first experience with death was with the family cat, but his death didn't affect me like my hamster's sudden death did.

When it comes to a person I know, my great-grandpa died a few years ago, and recently, my grandpa died almost two months ago from cancer. I wasn't close to him as I used to be, so I felt little sadness over his death. I think it also helps to know about what the afterlife holds for us, so that could explain it.

I guess I also convinced myself years ago that if someone dies, I wouldn't cry, knowing I'd see them again. So though death is horrible, I'm okay with it.

My grandma passed away back in '09. We were never that close, namely because I wasn't the girly little Barbie Doll granddaughter she wanted, so I still haven't had a real reaction to it.
I"ve had a lot of pets pass, though. The one that sticks out the most was my dog Princess, who died on my 11th birthday. What a fantastic present. Cried for two days straight. I miss that dog, mang...

Shuam

righteous
Sorry to bring up such a morbid topic, but recently, someone I knew was killed in a car accident. He was a good person, and his death shocked the community. He was my first real experience with death--although my grandparents are dead, they all died before I was born, and nobody else that I know has died.

I've never witnessed a death, and I can't imagine doing so.

What about you?

are you friends with ryan dunn

ashhleeyy

εμπιστοσύνη
When I was four, my twin brother and myself were getting off the bus and crossing the street to get into our subdivision and Andy (my brother) was hit by a drunk driver. At two in the afternoon. He was in a coma for 2 weeks before he died, so you couldn't really say that I witnessed his death. I also kind of blocked it out of my mind for obvious reasons; I believe it was easier to do so at such a young age. I really don't remember the experience but I do remember a circa 1985 black pick-up truck.

Also, my best friend from elementary, middle, and high school passed away from spontaneous heart failure due almost two years ago exactly (June 28th, 2009). The day before his 19th birthday. He had called me two days before his death to ask if I was coming to his party, but I had to decline due to being out of town and traveling for drum corps. That was an extremely hard summer to get through and I couldn't bring myself to want to do corps in the summers following.

Last edited:

Peter Quill

star-lord
My grandpa died when I was ten, not that I was all that close to him. I don't even remember most of it. Ah well.

My mom passed away in August though. Lung Cancer.

Fenix

Tremulant
My grandma had Pancreatic Cancer and after being operated she was in awful conditions, it was obvious she was going to die, she was on a wheelchair and so weak that she couldn't even talk.

I was sitting on a sofa doing something with a laptop when my father for some reason pushed her wheelchair and placed her right in front of me and my younger brother who was sitting next to me. I could feel her blank stare piercing through me, it was probably the most awkward situation I've ever been into.

I really wanted to just raise my head and look into her eyes, because even though she was practically dead physically I knew she was aware of her surroundings to some extent... but her glare was so heavy that I couldn't raise my head one millimeter. Then my cellphone rang or something and I got up and went out of the room. It all happened in a couple of minutes, but it felt like an eternity. Looking back, I realize how frustrating it must have been for her, her favourite grandson not even looking at her for the last time. She died two days later. I felt very guilty for a while.

Other than that my elementary school teacher who was also a family friend died of thalassemia which was my first experience with people dying. There was also a kid at our school that died because an old gate fell on him while he was playing football, I remember our school got closed for a week after that, but I didn't see it myself.